DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Unlimited Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:40
Mudder is on a distinguished road
Default Wanting to run 37s, what will I need?

So, I'm thoroughly disappointed in my 2.5 leveled front and 275/65R20 tires. I want to run 37s on an 18" or 20" wheel. What will I need to accomplish this? 6" + leveling the front of some kind? Do any kits not require cutting off the stock transfer case mounts? Is there an accepted "best kit" available. Coming from GMs in the past I know the consensus on them was Cepek for OBS and CST for NBS. Just wondered if there was an equivalent to that in the 4th gens.
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2011, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I would say 6" lift is the minimum to get 37s under there. I would recommend going with Fabtech, Superlift or Skyjacker for a lift kit. They are the better companies out there for lifting your truck. I have a Fabtech kit on my 07 Ram and I love it. It is great quality product and built to last. I would not cheap out on lifting your truck, you get what you ay for! I know guys that cheaped out and the kit would sag after a while. Most kits will have some cutting to do, I know there was a little on my kit. To get that diff lowered up front and the subframe connected.

When you go up to a 37" tire I would recommend the Toyo, Nitto, or BFG. The other tires are all good too to be honest but these 3 might last you a little longer. Tires are not a big deal going with who ever. I have BFG KM2s on my truck and they are 40", they are awesome. They are comfortable and quiet, they honestly dont make much noise. I love them, and I have the BFG A/T KOs on my '11 Ram (35") and I love them just as much ahha. If you want to go with a new rim I would suggest 20" for looks but to save a bit of money go with the 18". If you dont mind spending a little more on tires then 20s. The bigger the rim the more expensive the tire will be. When you go out to look for rims I would suggest looking at a negative offset. To be more specific try and get something around -15 - -20mm offset. I have -18mm offset on my rims with my 40x14.5" tires and I have no rubbing. Try and go with a 10" wide rim as well since the 37s will be at least 12.5" wide. If you have narrow rims then your tires will "balloon" out and look smaller. Thats my $.02
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I ran 36" Iroks on my 05 with 3" bl and tbar crank so I figured I'd be good to go with a 6". I'm still debating on the wheel size. I like more sidewall but these trucks are so big anymore smaller wheels look a little disproportionate sometimes.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:11 PM

ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

The good thing with these new Rams is that the wheel wells are really big and can fit a large tire. I only have a 2.5" leveling kit on my 11 and I have 35s. They do not rub and the tires dont look too large. If you have a chevy or ford the wheel wells are narrower so you need like a 6" lift to fit 35s.
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 12-23-2011, 11:35 PM

So true, had a 4" Rancho cranked to 6" on my 02 GMC and rubbed pretty badly with 35s on a 10" wide wheel.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:42 PM

Yea its a shame, but funny thing is they always seem to look bigger then the Rams. I have a 12" lift with 40s on my truck, but when I see a Chevy/GMC with less lift and smaller tire they look bigger. The optical illusion is the space between the tires and wheel well. If you have the tires filling up the wheel well it does not look as big as a truck with mroe space between them. I know it sounds funny but I do believe this to be true. I think my truck looks small until it is next to another vehicle since there is not much space around the tires, they kinda fill up the space
Old 12-24-2011, 12:22 AM

Yeah, I was about to say, it's true til you pull up next to them and your truck is 6" taller overall. I was parked at the local truck accessory shop in my old 02 gmc and a leveled dodge and ford with 315s pulled up on both sides...ford was taller than my lifted gmc and the dodge was about the same height. Needless to say...I was pissed!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

Just get you a 6" lift. Any brand will be fine.

The Fabtech kit says it only clears 35s which is weird. Both the Superlift and Skyjacker use 2.5" worth of preload spacer to get your 6" of lift. BDS and Pro Comp use 1.5" of preload spacers. Fabtech, Pure Performance and RCX dont use preload spacers, it's all strut spacer. None of that really matters unless you want to do Bilsteins tho, jus food for thought
Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 PM

I figured id need to do the bilsteins to level it out. Im leaning toward the rcx 6", similar to your setup. Thinking 6" rcx with bilsteins, 18x9 moto 951s and 37x13.5 toyos.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
sinistersix is on a distinguished road

Not highjackin the thread, I see we both have 2011 Rams and want 37s, so I figured I would ask relevant questions here.

Are 37s recommended for a daily driver on the 3.55 gears? I dont care if its a bit slower but if its way worse then it may be worth it to only stick to 35s...

As far as all the 6" lifts go, I researched BDS and Zone last year, but it seems those are no longer favored...is there a thread that compares all the pros and cons of each 6 in lift for us newbies?

I see that with Fabtech, you cant use the Bilsteins to get extra lift...so I assume you will need to do a body lift if you still need more lift after doing the Fabtech?

I assume all of the good brands give you 6 inches of lift, is there one reason to chooose fabtech over skyjacker over bds, etc? like customer support, ride quality, etc?

Thanks in advance for helpin a noob