DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough
Default less airflow from heat than cool

hey guys just wondering before i take my truck in for the end of its 3yr bumper warranty. when i switch between heat and cool the airflow decreases significantly, it still warms the truck but i'm wondering if thats normal?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I crack my window just a bit to let the cool air out quicker

If that doesn't work on yours, maybe you didn't get the climate control software update yet
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-24-2011, 12:51 AM

there is no problem with the heating, say you turn the blower on high/ cool then turn the blend knob to hot, the amount of airflow drops. i never noticed it till recently just wondering if thats normal
Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: slt
Color: stone white
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
464 is on a distinguished road

I dont know if its normal in automotive but fan speed is meant to be slower on heat than on cool to allow the air to heat up as it goes through the heat exchanger. Thats how it works in residential and commercial HVAC.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMILANCER View Post
hey guys just wondering before i take my truck in for the end of its 3yr bumper warranty. when i switch between heat and cool the airflow decreases significantly, it still warms the truck but i'm wondering if thats normal?
I don't know if it's normal but I noticed it in mine as well. I was going to ask the dealer the next time I was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
f that doesn't work on yours, maybe you didn't get the climate control software update yet
What is this update you speak of kemosabe?

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
GreatTiger is on a distinguished road

If i were to assume that cool air comes from outside and bypasses the heatercore and the a/c isn't on then when the heat IS on, the resistance from air passing through the heater core is what is causing the less air flow condition that you speak of.

Watson, you may light my pipe now...
Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTiger View Post
If i were to assume that cool air comes from outside and bypasses the heatercore and the a/c isn't on then when the heat IS on, the resistance from air passing through the heater core is what is causing the less air flow condition that you speak of.
the cold air may bypass the heater core but instead it travells through the evaporator core. that may not be it but i'm getting the impression its normal. maybe they made the heatercore passage smaller so you wouldn't burn your face with a high volume of 200 degree air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTiger View Post
Watson, you may light my pipe now...
yes you may
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Sport Crew
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mc4man is on a distinguished road

Hemilancer, I notice the same reduced airflow when I switch from hot to cold while maintaining the same fan speed. I had my vehicle checked out and the dealership stated it was normal. There was no talk of an updated software though. I might go back and ask about this upgrade.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Dalejr is on a distinguished road

I have a 2011 Ram and it does the same thing.
A friend at work has a 2011 Durango his does the same to.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
micar71 is on a distinguished road

It is my understanding that the 2009 - 2011 Rams no longer have cabin air filters. In one aspect, that can lead to a dirty interior. On the other hand, it's good because it allows the air to move freely. If you remove your lower glovebox, you will see the fan motor housing. Above it is the automated vent that switches between the outside air and interior recirculation air. If you place your hand on the top of the fan motor housing unit, you will feel a grate. This is the air entrance to the previous air filter cavity that has been sealed (but they left the "T" box face to be cut out so you can install an air filter on your own). Below this air chamber is the fan it self, and man, it's lacking in size and power. Now that I've described a picture, I'll do my best to answer your question based on my "i'm bored and lets take something apart..." experience / observations. The airflow is redirected when it has to go through the heater core. Airflow loses it's speed the more obstacles it encounters. I love my Dodge Ram (bought my first truck last Feb), but yesterday I was determined to find out why I had no airflow to the rear center air vents in my crew cab and that is when I discovered, 1. no air filter, 2. a week fan, 3. a small fan, & 4. the rear center air vents are connected to the front center air vent chambers. I have to close the front center air vents so my little girl (who sits in the back middle) doesn't freeze in the winter and burn in the summer. Do I want an interior air filter? ABSOLUTELY - but only after a better blower is installed that can handle the restriction of an air filter. This explained the mystery of why the rear floor vents worked great but the rear center vents had restricted airflow. The dealership swore it was working fine and after pulling parts and climbing around with a flashlight, I discovered it is working correctly based on the design. This design needs a better blower.

I did find it pretty neat that you can install your own air filter pretty cheap.

I hope my unofficial answer based on my official curiosity helps. I hope someone else has a better answer or can supplement this.