DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Do you think chrysler should build a balance shaft hemi..?
YES, i agree 10 47.62%
NO, i disagree 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I have driven/ridden in many MDS Hemi powered vehicles (the majority being Rams) and have yet to encounter MDS shudder/vibration at the level you are describing. The MDS operation I've witnessed although noticeable, can be masked by moderate bass from the sound system. In fact, most of the time it is virtually unnoticeable. If this is not the case for you, I truly believe there is something wrong and hope the dealer can sort this out, because IMO that is NOT normal.

Don't take my comment wrong regarding the use of a truck. I do not want to discourage anyone from purchasing a truck if that is what they want, but since I am one of those that buys a truck as a work tool first, have noticed that allot of the working characteristics have been altered/eliminated in favor of thing that make the truck more car. This evolution of the truck is now to the point where the trucks are demonstrating failures that are a direct result of this trend to improve the ride/comfort to accommodate the customers that are buying it for other than a true working truck application.

Having said that, the feature list and mods on my own truck clearly suggest that I enjoy the creature comforts as much as the next guy, and since my truck is my DD, I'll take as much comfort as I can get, but also have had to take a few step to de-car it a bit so that it will function as a work truck, and that is where I have a problem with it.

I bought a truck! Why should I have to mod it to do truck work? If in the case (Hehehe....here I'll pick on the obvious target LOL) you purchase a truck for a completely different reason (and by picking a Ram for it looks does indicate a tasteful eye ) then modding it to be less truck and more car like would be the natural progression and requirement to attain that goal......but should not be the case in the alternate scenario.

It's sorta like the toaster oven. Doesn't work extremely well as either a toaster or an oven, but does offer some convenience by combining the 2. IMO, that's where the SUV sits. It's the toaster oven of the automotive industry. It's not a great car, and certainly not a great truck, but meets the needs of many....or at least the sales figures would suggest that.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing a trend where the truck is being altered to accommodate a group of people, and that alteration is having a negative affect on those of us that depend on the truck to make our living.

Thanks for the confirmation regarding Harley. My question was just that....a question. I have many friends in the local Harley rides group (I'm an honorary member because of my great workshop. I don't have my own Harley to sport. ) The balance shaft has been a topic of conversation, and I was lead to believe from the more knowledgeable membership that Harley had discovered the 'too smooth' effect prior to Honda.

I cannot argue your remark regarding the R/T. Although I know few people that actually do use them as a work truck, they are also the first to admit that they are not best option if you need a 'real truck'. In their case, the working truck part is IMO, not having to work to hard. LOL

This is a great debate, and has actually shed a pretty bright light some underlying questions that I have had, mainly why the manufactures are so focused on the comfort of the trucks, so much so that the original intended design of the truck has evolved to a back seat position. It may be necessary for people like me to start looking carefully at the cars, as who knows....maybe they are evolving in the opposite direction.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi QC 2X4
Trim Level: SLT- Luxury&Security
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:28
Willbrewer is on a distinguished road

What's interesting to me is that some trucks evidently vibrate like a buzz saw when the MDS kicks on, and others (like mine) run as smooth as butter with the MDS engaged. I usually have difficulty knowing when it's engaged. There's no vibration, just a change in the engine sound. And that's with putting nearly 8K miles on my truck.

Usually the only way I can tell the MDS kicks in is by seeing the increase in MPGs shown on the EVIC real-time-MPG bar.

I think the bigger question is: WHY is there so much inconsistency in the amount of MDS vibration from one truck to the other?

Bill
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Will, have you driven one that has this severe vibration? I was just wondering if this was a sensitivity thing from person-to-person or if some actually have driven two or more of the same model and detected a big difference. Like you, my tranny shifting and MDS operation seems very normal and smooth like I'd expect it to be.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi QC 2X4
Trim Level: SLT- Luxury&Security
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:28
Willbrewer is on a distinguished road

TNC,

No, I've driven only mine. However I did drive it around this afternoon, after my last post, and did finally notice a different sound. Kind of a buzzing, ringing sound when driving with the MDS on at around 30 mph. Maybe it's the MDS drone I've heard about. Almost sounds like the exhaust vibrating harmonically. And maybe that's what the OP is talking about.

But I don't FEEL anything. And the sound is so slight that I have to strain to hear it. So I'm not really concerned about it. I like the extra MPGs the MDS gives me enough to put up with any minor oddities.

Bill
Old 12-28-2011, 01:15 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:57
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Will, have you driven one that has this severe vibration? I was just wondering if this was a sensitivity thing from person-to-person or if some actually have driven two or more of the same model and detected a big difference. Like you, my tranny shifting and MDS operation seems very normal and smooth like I'd expect it to be.
TNC,
i just noticed your truck info to the right of the thread screen, you have a 2012 hemi. I do KNOW, that the 2012 hemi is a bit different animal (ie: transmission shift points, 2012 6speed vs 09 10 11 5speed and also when the 2012 mds activates) So this may be why yours is alot smoother and you`re not feeling the mds vibrations. (most 12`s i`ve drivin are very smooth, and i havent felt one vibrate as of yet) They`ve added different software to the 2012 transmission, (due to being a 6speed now) and they also changed a couple things internally. (also has a different torque convertor than the 09 10 11) The hemi`s i find that are mostly effected with these buzzing vibrations when the mds is activated, seem to lean towards late 2009 into 2010 and a few early 2011 hemi trucks.

I also talked with a service manager today at the local dodge dealership, this SM is a pretty sharp cookie, knows his sh!t. I`ve known him for several yrs, very smart guy and i trust his knowledge, he`s turned wrench`s as many years as i have. He was telling me they`ve had MANY complaints with the chrysler 300 mds vibes, and they are still waiting after 2 years for chrysler to step up and do something about it. Some also say its because of the torque convertor... its not. Ther are 2 seperate issues, the mds vibrates, and some of the trucks have high clearence issues inside the torque convertors causing them to rattle, and people hear the noise, sounds like its a bad A/C compressor knockin. The torque convertor rattle is caused by the turbine hub splines and the clutch shaft being to loose. The updated torque convertors (known as the star case TC) are now an interference fit, the shaft is now pressed into the splined hub making it alot tighter fit. So that stops the TC rattle for now. And once again, the 2012 hemi truck has changed slightly to previous 4th gen trucks, so this may shed some light on your argumenitive comments you`ve been posting and disagreeing with me about this mds issue.

Thank you for contributing
Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbrewer View Post
TNC,

No, I've driven only mine. However I did drive it around this afternoon, after my last post, and did finally notice a different sound. Kind of a buzzing, ringing sound when driving with the MDS on at around 30 mph. Maybe it's the MDS drone I've heard about. Almost sounds like the exhaust vibrating harmonically. And maybe that's what the OP is talking about.

But I don't FEEL anything. And the sound is so slight that I have to strain to hear it. So I'm not really concerned about it. I like the extra MPGs the MDS gives me enough to put up with any minor oddities.

Bill
Bill,
I bettin you have the single exhaust system. The single exhaust does have a ringy sounding drone effect to it. Not even near as noticeable with the factory dual exhaust system. I`ve owned both trucks, same year, same hemi engine. One is a 2010 Hemi SLT RC 4x4, my other one is a 2010 Hemi SPORT 4x4 QC. (both are 1500 models) The SLT has a horrible drone effect with the single exhaust system, my SPORT has dual exhaust, and does not, have ANY drone at all. If you dont feel any buzzing in the steering wheel, seats, gas pedal, at certain rpm`s, concider yourself very lucky. Maybe try feathering the throttle a little on an off, you might feel the mds vibe come an go. If you cant make it do it...GREAT...!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
This is a great debate, and has actually shed a pretty bright light some underlying questions that I have had, mainly why the manufactures are so focused on the comfort of the trucks, so much so that the original intended design of the truck has evolved to a back seat position. It may be necessary for people like me to start looking carefully at the cars, as who knows....maybe they are evolving in the opposite direction.
Its because they saw a bigger market by doing it. (making trucks more comfy)
People today dont just buy a truck just to use for a work vehicle anymore.
Trucks today serve alot more of a purpose to alot of different people today. (a toy)
Even 5yrs ago, people didnt buy as many trucks as they do today, most rode horrible compared to today.
They also get ALOT better MPG`s today too..! People are less hesitant to buy a truck now.

SUV = Stupid Useless Vehicle (sorry, i just had to say it....lol)
A car, i wouldnt own one today, i`ll always drive trucks until i die.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Now Rambunshuss...don't get rambuncious...LOL! Seriously though, sorry you took my part of the discussion as argumentative and disagreeable. I'm just trying to get a handle on the MDS and tranny issue. Now, I might actually disagree with you about MDS complaints on '12 models, as I've read quite a few from '12 owners in the MDS section under the 5.7 engine section on the site...along with tranny complaints. I particularly like the one running currently in the '12 Ram forum titled something to the effect, "Anyone else think the 12 transmission sucks?" Seems like there's still some similarity in the complaints between the two years. I'm glad you mentioned the issue of actually driving both year models and noting a difference. That was one of things I was wanting to see in this discussion.

And please...don't take my position of asking for information or even having a difference of opinion...at least where opinion is applicable...as being disrespectful or argumentative. You'll notice I try to be careful to use terms like "my impression", "my understanding", "what I've heard", and other such disclaimers in most of my questions and responses where I'm in no position to be an absolute authority on the matter discussed. I love these technical discussions and trying to figure out mechanical issues and problems. I've been a 2 and 4 wheeled gearhead all my life.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Now Rambunshuss...don't get rambuncious...LOL! Seriously though, sorry you took my part of the discussion as argumentative and disagreeable. I'm just trying to get a handle on the MDS and tranny issue. Now, I might actually disagree with you about MDS complaints on '12 models, as I've read quite a few from '12 owners in the MDS section under the 5.7 engine section on the site...along with tranny complaints. I particularly like the one running currently in the '12 Ram forum titled something to the effect, "Anyone else think the 12 transmission sucks?" Seems like there's still some similarity in the complaints between the two years. I'm glad you mentioned the issue of actually driving both year models and noting a difference. That was one of things I was wanting to see in this discussion.

And please...don't take my position of asking for information or even having a difference of opinion...at least where opinion is applicable...as being disrespectful or argumentative. You'll notice I try to be careful to use terms like "my impression", "my understanding", "what I've heard", and other such disclaimers in most of my questions and responses where I'm in no position to be an absolute authority on the matter discussed. I love these technical discussions and trying to figure out mechanical issues and problems. I've been a 2 and 4 wheeled gearhead all my life.
lol...Absolutely not a problem on my end budd, i`m glad we can chit chat about this stuff. I didnt meen to make it sound like i was mad or anything like it in the sense, i probably should have used better words for the term of the word, argumenitive. Also, in the next thread i am going to add to this post, is a MDS issue that has been known since 2009 on these trucks. It has 16 pages of some people complaining about the MDS buzz/vibration. So i`m not the only person that has noticed this as being an issue. The other forum is called dodge forum dot com. It will be hard to get the link to work in here because these forums dont let you link up to other forums. They usually delete them or blank out the first part of the link. I`ll give it a shot though.

PS...... thanks a bunch for adding to the post about the 2012 complaints.
I will definatly be looking into a few of the 12`s and see whats going on with them.

Last edited by Rambunkshuss; 12-28-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:21 AM

For the people that think the mds dosent have other complaints about the issue.
Its been a known issue since 2009 on the 4th generation trucks.
http://***************/forum/4th-gen...gas-pedal.html

If the first part of the link is blanked out, its one word, dodgeforum dot com.

UPDATE:
Yup, ramforumz blanked it out. Go to dodgeforum dot com, do a search for it.
The forum link number is 189532. Can also be found as: "slight vibration felt through gas pedal"

Try copying this one and remove the spaces in dodge forum .com
www .d o d g e f o r u m .com/forum/4th-gen-ram/189532-slight-vibration-felt-through-gas-pedal.html?highlight=exhaust+vibration

Last edited by Rambunkshuss; 12-28-2011 at 11:35 AM.