DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-25-2011, 05:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Superb 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:74
Nck will become famous soon enough
Default Coool heat?

It's cold as S*** outside now, so with that comes a lot of use from my heater.
But it doesn't get to hot, not like last year anyways.
I'm thinking it could be the heater core, but possibly the thermostat, which from experience of installing a new water pump tells me replacing the T-stat will be the biggest pain in the *ss.
But then replacing the heater core will be of equal infliction.
But I also noticed the higher RPM's equals hotter heat, but the problem there is lower MPG.
Anyone else ever had this issue.
Sponsored links
Old 12-25-2011, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Is the truck running cold? Or is it running hot? If its cold its thermistat is stuck open.if its hot the pump might be going bad or low pressure. Next would be clogged or bad core disconnect hoses from core try running water through them to try to flush it out.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 AM

Vehicle: Superb 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Rep:74
Nck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramfam View Post
Is the truck running cold? Or is it running hot? If its cold its thermistat is stuck open.if its hot the pump might be going bad or low pressure. Next would be clogged or bad core disconnect hoses from core try running water through them to try to flush it out.
Yes that could be. Because I do noticed my Temp gauge doesn't really move much at all, as if it's running extremely cold.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Change thermistat with a 186°. It will make a word of difference. But id rather have the thermistat stuck open over closed.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Matte Black
Rep:10
fordstomper is on a distinguished road

im actually having the same problem in my truck. and iv come to the conclusion that it is in fact the heater core, i went to kragen auto parts a while back and purchased the "flush kit" to try and clear out the core but it did absolutely nothing. so i kind of gave up on it for the longest time thinking its just messed up. i tried replacing thermostats the stock temp which i believe is like the 192 or something like that kept overheating the truck... so i thought it was the water pump failing under a low flow circumstance. so i finally gave in and brought the truck to a radiator shop. low and behold he did what they call a High pressure flush and abnormal amount of black sludgy nasty crap came spewing out. i still need to replace my core eventually because there was some he could not get out.. but im actually getting heat now enough to keep my comfy on the cold morning drives to work... ope this helps man
Old 12-30-2011, 03:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

after the truck warms up, check the 2 hoses going into & out of the heater, they should be equally as hot
if it has one, check the valve that is on the inlet heater hose, it will have a spring wire on it, it should rotate from on to off
then listen for the blower motor, you should be able to hear or feel it, i believe
then feel around all the vents with the heater on high, defrost included

if you still have not found the problem, watch the videos on YouTube, starting with
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordstomper View Post
im actually having the same problem in my truck. and iv come to the conclusion that it is in fact the heater core, i went to kragen auto parts a while back and purchased the "flush kit" to try and clear out the core but it did absolutely nothing. so i kind of gave up on it for the longest time thinking its just messed up. i tried replacing thermostats the stock temp which i believe is like the 192 or something like that kept overheating the truck... so i thought it was the water pump failing under a low flow circumstance. so i finally gave in and brought the truck to a radiator shop. low and behold he did what they call a High pressure flush and abnormal amount of black sludgy nasty crap came spewing out. i still need to replace my core eventually because there was some he could not get out.. but im actually getting heat now enough to keep my comfy on the cold morning drives to work... ope this helps man
If think about it dodge is good for having thermistat stick open. His issue seem's from what he sed truck not warming up, not over heating form lack of flow just the opposite (both suck ether way you look at it)
Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

There is also an easy to flush the core yourself.

With a garden hose turned on LOW run it backwards through the heater core to loosen and flush any sediment back the way it came. You can use an inline cooling flush kit with a "T" fitting and plug off one end. Attach a length of hose to the input (outlet for this purpose) on the heater core and run it into a 5 gal bucket.

Don't over-pressurize the heater core.