DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

IMHO there's no such thing as 'too bright' as long as they are aimed properly. Check your alignment and they should be good. I'd start with 3-4" below horizontal with the truck 20-25' from the garage door and see how that works.
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:44
The Codes is on a distinguished road

my 6000k 35w lows are brighter then my hi beams, but I have projectors and I do get flashed brights from time to time but nothing serious as of yet. Wouldnt consider switching back at all because its nice when driving country roads to be able to see lol my lights are annoying though because as of recently when I hit a hard bump my drivers light flickers of and on for a second, but thats my fault, need to double check connection lol
Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 PM

Vehicle: '09 RAM 1500 4dr
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:61
Studbuster will become famous soon enough

In the all the US, if lights are not DOT approved, they are illegal for use on the road.
I have not seen a HID or projector that has a DOT approval and does not say on the box, "for off road use only".

If you do choose to use these, at least finish the install by adjusting them as not to blind oncoming traffic. Properly adjusted, you will see even better than if they are too high because the light beam is on the road, not in the air!

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO DO IT OVER??
Dave
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMILANCER View Post
if you dont have projector headlamps which stock rams dont, it's illegal to have hids in my state. the way the light is dispersed there is no way to aim an hid hence the word projector. since my truck didnt have projectors i simply upgraded my bulbs from the stock h11's to h9's. the light output is far better and i can still aim them.
I don't believe you are correct... It all depends on the color (K- as in 6000k or 8000k) and the difference between 35watt HIDs and 55watt HIDs. 55watts being extremely bright. I live in LA and have never been stopped for my HIDs and have had them for almost two years. Vehicles are now coming with HIDs from the factory so I doubt they are "against the law"
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:53 PM

Vehicle: '09 RAM 1500 4dr
Color: Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:61
Studbuster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxHunting View Post
I don't believe you are correct... It all depends on the color (K- as in 6000k or 8000k) and the difference between 35watt HIDs and 55watt HIDs. 55watts being extremely bright. I live in LA and have never been stopped for my HIDs and have had them for almost two years. Vehicles are now coming with HIDs from the factory so I doubt they are "against the law"
Again, DOT (Department of Transportation) approval is the key people ignore. All new vehicles are designed and built with DOT regulations. Not so with most, if not all, after market lights units, bulbs, lenses, covers etc.

As for not being stopped in LA for HIDs, the LEOs probably have more important things to do other than lights as they do most everywhere. They don't even stop speeding, red light running and other idiot drivers!

Not being stopped doesn't make it legal.You are just getting away with it!

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO DO IT OVER??
Dave
Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Rep:13
BJAMIN is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone, i'm going to aim them down a bit and if that doesn't work.... screw it i'll just get the HID high beams so i can flash em back better
Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJAMIN View Post
Thanks everyone, i'm going to aim them down a bit and if that doesn't work.... screw it i'll just get the HID high beams so i can flash em back better
It takes about 5-7 seconds for HID's to warm up and shine. They don't do well (performance or longevity) when flashed like you would typical high beams. I recommend putting HID's in your Lows and/or fogs and getting a good pair of true white halogens (Philips CrystalVision or Sylvania Ultras) for your high beams so they'll react fast like you need them to.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxHunting View Post
the hids from the factory are in projector lenses not a standard halogen bulb lense. i put hids in my wifes car love em, but her car came with projector lenses that direct the light downward that is the difference. yea a cop wont stop you just cause of your headlights but if he suspects something else he will use that as an excuse to pull you over.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

You need to aim them a little lower or people will always be flashing you. once you do that you'll love them
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 AM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 4x4
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
SvB4EvA is on a distinguished road

Ok, the 6000k and 8000k and 10000k don't have much to do with brightness, those are the numbers on the color scale for the bulb.

You'r headlamps have adjustments on them to change the direction of the beam, check these up against a wall.

Also, our trucks headlamps are not made to use HID bulbs, HID bulbs require a projector style lamp to make sure the beam is cut low and to reduce glare.

So yea, you are blinding people, I get blinded all the time. Just because you do not have your highbeams on does not mean that your lowbeams and fogs are too high/creating too much glare.

Last edited by SvB4EvA; 03-21-2012 at 12:10 AM.