DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Spud67 is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn 730N RHR Navigation Sucks

I just bought a 2012 Longhorn before Christmas and traveled with it for the holidays. I tried the NAV just to see how it would route me for the usual trip of 500 kms to visit with family. This NAV system routed me a total of 800 kms from Weyburn, SK through northern North Dakota back to the border crossing south of Brandon, MB and up to Swan River through Brandon and Dauphin, MB. We pay a big pile of money for these new vehicles and systems and this is the crap we get for a high end NAV system.

Not impressed with the NAV system and when I talked to the dealer the salesman I talked to said that maybe it is a good thing that I am going after a fix for this so the problem will get fixed for other customers. Why should we have to do that? Are they not the go between for us to the manufacture and come back to us with a fix. I am going after a fix for this right to the top, as far as I can. This is unacceptable when buying a brand new vehicle.

I aslo tried the NAV on the way back to Weyburn from Swan River and it routed us the same way. From Swan River, down through the northern US and back into Saskatchewan to Weyburn, another 800 km trip. Of course I never traveled the way this thing told us too but I wanted to sede what it would tell us.

I contacted NAVTEQ but have not heard anything back, of course it is Christmas and they are all probably away for the holidays. I have a Garmin Legend and if I use it for routing it is right on the money and all the maps for it come from NAVTEQ. According to the NAVTEQ website the maps on this RHR until are up to date and there is an updated expected in the spring of 2012. Then it will cost me more money to update a system that doesn't work.

This really sucks, the only this I found that sucks about this brand new truck.
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:68
BDG will become famous soon enough

I feel your pain man, I have the same RHR system and it leaves a lot to be desired.

I thought I had read there was way to get the Garmin package on 2011 models....anyone know anything about that?
Wheels - Fuel Offroad Kranks 20x9, +1 Offset
Lift - Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift
Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport
Color: Silver
UsedSillyPutty is on a distinguished road

I bought my truck yesterday and thought it had NAV but it doesn't, just the touch screen for the radio. I asked how much the difference would be to trade it it out for the NAV and it's $2000... I knew my phone would work better with Google maps but I figured it would be nice to have it built in. After listening to what you said I'm glad I didn't bother. I'll just mount my Xoom somewhere and call it a day.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Black
Rep:11
E.J. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedSillyPutty View Post
I bought my truck yesterday and thought it had NAV but it doesn't, just the touch screen for the radio. I asked how much the difference would be to trade it it out for the NAV and it's $2000... I knew my phone would work better with Google maps but I figured it would be nice to have it built in. After listening to what you said I'm glad I didn't bother. I'll just mount my Xoom somewhere and call it a day.
I have a 2012 sport on order with just the 430 radio. I could have ordered the nav for $400 more but I knew my droid phone would be more than capable (if not better) than the stock nav. Plus free upgrades, traffic, gas stations...etc. The built in nav would look much cleaner, but for no more than I will use it, id much rather have my smart phone that im already paying for.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I thought this NAV system in my 2012 is a Garmin based unit but I am not sure since it tells me there may be updates available through Navteq. Checked the website for Navteq and according to them the unit is up-to-date and there is an expected update in the spring of 2012. I am going to be talking to the dealer on Friday because this just isn't right. I want things that work correctly in the truck not have to continue to use my Garmin Legend sitting on the dash. My fight has just begun with Navteq, Garmin and Chrysler.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Crew Cab
Rep:11
E.J. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud67 View Post
I thought this NAV system in my 2012 is a Garmin based unit but I am not sure since it tells me there may be updates available through Navteq. Checked the website for Navteq and according to them the unit is up-to-date and there is an expected update in the spring of 2012. I am going to be talking to the dealer on Friday because this just isn't right. I want things that work correctly in the truck not have to continue to use my Garmin Legend sitting on the dash. My fight has just begun with Navteq, Garmin and Chrysler.

Go get em spud. I think the 430 is the radio that comes with the garmin nav and the 730 uses the navteq. I hear the garmin is more user friendly but the navteq is a little more detailed.

Before you go ape shit on these guys, just make sure you have all the optimal options checked/unchecked. Shortest route, avoid highways.....etc. I am in no way familiar with the 730 navteq, but im sure that there are a ton of settings to mess with, and you may have already tried. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Looks like the 730N uses an Enhanced GPS System and it looks like it is from Navteq. Sounds like you are right the Garmin was in the 430N. Just like most companies when they find a good thing, change it.

I have tried shortest route, fastest time, all options set correctly and still the routing is a way off. Even on the website for Navteq if I enter a route from Weyburn, SK to Swan River, MB it routes me 800 kms but at least not into the US. The trip is actually 500 kms but the route on Navteq appears to only take the real major roads in this area like the Trans Canada #1 and highway 10 north in Manitoba. There are many good highways on a more direct route that we always travel. They appear in the maps on the unit but the system just will not select those roads and route us the REAL shortest or fastest.

I will be at the dealership on Firday and looking for some answers. I am waiting a reply from Navteq and Garmin. I will give them a little time since I started this rant while they are all probably off enjoying the Christmas season and the New Year.

Thanks for letting me vent of here everyone.

Have a safe happy New Year and I will keep you posted on what I find out.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

My sport has the 430N with Garmin navigation and it's spot on. I've driven all over northern Alberta using it and couldn't be happier with the directions it's given me.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Rep:13
tobyjohnson11 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2012 with the 730 and it seems to be really good. It recalculated my route due to a traffic jam in nashville due to satellite radio traffic feature. Is there something specific you dont like about it, or does something not work that should?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjohnson11 View Post
I have a 2012 with the 730 and it seems to be really good. It recalculated my route due to a traffic jam in nashville due to satellite radio traffic feature. Is there something specific you dont like about it, or does something not work that should?
As I mentioned in my original post, this system routed me 800 kms on a normal 500 km route I have taken many, many times. I tried the system when I bought the truck and on a trip 500 kms north east of where I live it routed me 300 extra kms south east in the US and back into Canada. Of course I never traveled the way this system routed me but it should at least be more accurate than that.

I have a Garmin Legend handheld GPS and it routes 1000 time better and very accurate. We pay an extreme amount of money for new vehicles and at least you would think these new systems would work really well.

Maybe the maps loaded in these things are mor up-to-date for the US road system and the companies still think we live in igloos, drive snow machines all year long and there are only a few major roads in Canada. Here in Saskatchewan we have the most miles of road compared to any other province in Canada. They are not all great but we have the most. LOL