DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie 4X4
Color: Sagebrush Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Racklover is on a distinguished road

I have the 730 RHR in my Laramie and an not overly impressed with it. If we don't complain properly, it will not get fixed.
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Longhorn
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: Black/gold trim
rcgreg is on a distinguished road

Ditto on the routing problems, In town it took me miles out of th way for a simple location, seems to want to pick the major roads over the minor ones, even if that means a longer route.

My Solution is to find the destination first by inputting the address, then put the NAV into plain map mode and route it my self.

Not the ideal solution by anymeans - but it'll do till the fix comes (And there better be one !)
Old 01-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

For those that are new to the NAV radios in the Rams

NAVTEQ has been used in all of them for many years
The Garmin Maps just started being available in 2011

I have the RER 730 radio, it has the NAVTEQ maps, the thing that i really like about it is that
I use VERBAL commands as i am driving down the highway, to do what i do with the buttons, when sitting parked
I open the Nav map, press the button with the face in profile speaking, the Nav voice asks me what i want to do & i answer the prompts,
the only thing that is an issue, is that if you want to go some where that has a Spanish, North American Indian, or maybe a Cajun type name, it doesn't understand it, it will ask a couple times, then it either asks you to spell it or just plain quits.
I just bought the map UPGRADE from Navteq, it is on Special, $149 + tax & shipping, it also came with the Latest radio software update Ver 2.402 for the RER radio, the radio now has some added features, one of which makes adjusting the sound easier

I still carry my Garmin NUVI, it works better then the radios maps, & the maps used are from NAVTEQ.

Looks like Garmin get the Maps through NAVTEQ

Even though Garmin takes map submissions, they can't do anything other than what you do by going straight to NAVTEQ and make your own submission and buy doing so will be faster because the report is instant:
http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-we.../secured/submi...

You can also go to the above link and see the newest NAVTEQ maps not yet available for your Garmin, but will be sometime in the future. Maybe months or even a year after after NAVTEQ has the new map, it may be quite a while before Garmin uses it
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 01-02-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Spud67 is on a distinguished road

Here is the latest information I have received about this routing problem with these new radio/nav systems in the newest vehicles.

Email from NAVTEQ:

"Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ.

Unfortunately, Navteq does not make the maps for Dodge or for Garmin. Navteq is a raw data provider. We provide the same data to Garmin that we do to Dodge, but it is up to each manufacturer what they decide to put on their maps, and how they format their maps. We are just a third party distribution for Dodge. I apologize for the inconvenience. I hope you have a nice day!

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Customer Service
P.O. Box 1588
Orem, UT 84059"

Email from Garmin:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I apologize, but the 730N is made by MyGig not Garmin, so you will have to contact them for further questions.

Thank you,

Barry H.
DTS
Garmin International"

Email from MyGIG support:

"So I found out the problem. The data on the Navteq data base is divided into two categories, roads that are verified (meaning that a test car has gone on them with a special GPS system and verified that they exist) and IPD (In Process Data meaning that the roads were inputted from some source like maps or satellite photos and has not been verified , use to be called TIGER DATA). Most of the roads in this route are in the IPD category. Chrysler also has a spec that says we should avoid IPD roads and the radio was programmed to do that. I agree this is not very good for people like you that live out in rural areas that have not much verified coverage, but Chrysler is the boss. Not much we can do to fix this unless Chrysler changes their specs.

Sorry
MyGIG expert"

Email from Chrysler:

"Thank you for your email of January 3, 2012.

We are sorry to learn of the problems experienced with the navigation
system of your 2012 Dodge Ram (VIN: 1C6RD7PT8CS123596) and of the
resulting inconvenience.

All service contacts are handled exclusively by our dealer network.
Regrettably, we are unable to provide assessments by correspondence. As
such, if further inspection of your vehicle is required for the outlined
condition, please alert your dealer. Our resources remain at their
disposal.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for your Chrysler purchase.
We certainly hope you enjoy your vehicle for many years to come."

The fight continues with Chrsyler. I will be back at the dealship on Monday to have mud flaps installed and other things done that were agreed to when I bought the truck. I will have lots of time to deal with the service guys and other people higher up in the dealership to find out what can be done with this.

We spend our hard earned money on nice things and they don't work the way we would expect them to work. I am very frustrated, almost to the point of returning the truck and saying to hell with it and continue driving my 96 SLT that has been a great truck.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Sagebrush and White Gold
dg16238 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the added info. Looks like for people in the populated areas, the poor navigation directions will likely not cause much issue, but as we all know you end up counting on the GPS when you are not in familiar territory and less travelled roads. That's when it counts the most.

I guess Chrysler doesn't want to use the IPD roads, but Garmin and likely every other GPS manufacturer does use them or some other source other than Navteq.

Even though I'm not impacted now, I'll be bringing this up with the parts manager at my dealer. He is an avid customizer and has no problem ordering aftermarket parts for customers, and continue with warranty support. As example bought a K&N cold air(still need to install) from him and that was my first question. He said no problem as long as you bring it back to him for service.

BTW, I saw your other posts on the MyGig support forums as well.

Let us know how you make out with the dealer.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Longhorn
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: Black/gold trim
rcgreg is on a distinguished road

I guess they don't want folks lost on some desert or mountain road somewhere.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

You guys are making my day... I bought a 2011 with the 430N. I was in Atlanta over Christmas and wanted to go see a longtime fiend on the other side of town. ( were talking Atlanta here folks) I put the desto into my I-Phone 4 and it wanted me to take a route that would make the trip 1 hour and 30 min. I put the desto into my 430N and it got me there in 1 hour 12 min. all back roads and no interstate. I love my 430N. The only downside is my transfer case. no peart time 4WD.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the NAVTEQ website & submitted a 100% completed highway extension, it was finished 10 months ago, even their satellite view shows it as all housing.

In San Diego there are at least 3 more highways that are not on the maps
I can see a secondary road not being updated yet, but not having Highways on the Maps is ridicules
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Maybe Navteq & Garmin should pay Google to do their mapping

Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

Help me out.. this was a cost saving measure for Chrysler? My 430N with Garmen is dead on ???