DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
SilverSport2011 is on a distinguished road
Default update

I was told by the dealer today that it probably needs a software update we will see if that helps.
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:10
Spud67 is on a distinguished road

River7rat - I bought mine in Regina at Triple Seven and it was on the lot. I looked at Redcoat but there was not much on the lot I liked. Triple Seven is willing to have me try an update from NAVTEQ and I will not let them forget about that.

Silversport - you can try software update yourself and not have to pay the dealership. Check out this forums web site, http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/, I downloaded the latest software for my 730N RHR, burned it onto a DVD and loaded. It all loaded and worked fine but it still didn't make the routing work any better. I would still rather have the Garmin based GPS that is in the 430N RHB radio.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:11
SilverSport2011 is on a distinguished road

Thanks I will wait to see if I get Charged its never worked since I owned it, I only have 5800 miles on it should be covered under warranty plus my dad works for dealership so I should be good to go.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
Trim Level: Laramie Quad Cab
Color: Bright Silver - PS2
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
CBR Dude is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

The 430 radio is Garmin based GPS, while the 730 is Navteq based GPS. Two separate animals and they both work independently of the radio software!

If you have the one of these navigation units in your vehicle they operate on three different software upgrades. One for the radio itself. One for the Grace Notes and the other for the GPS technology such as Garmin or Navteq.
Garmin and Navteq sell the upgrades for 200 bucks a pop. They are available through their websites for purchase and or phone. Navteq will include the current radio software with its upgrade, not sure about Garmin as I had the 730 radio head. They send you a user and password with the disks. I have no idea if the disk can be used on more than one radio head. I bought the disk update for the 200 bucks and they asked for the disk back a few weeks later and refunded my credit card upon return of the disk. Why don’t know, they just did! So I got a radio update and the maps upgraded for free if you want to call it that.
The radio and grace note updates are available through your dealer or off various websites. I do need to caution you guys that if you fail to follow the directions and guys this is very important as you know guys and directions don’t go well together. You really need to follow the directions to the “T” otherwise you’re going to have one huge ass paperweight on your hands…period! Failure to follow the directions results in a hose up radio head. You are screwed more ways to Sunday then you’ll ever know!!
My take on the 730 set up is it’s very cumbersome to operate period! I see and read other saying the same about the 430 radio. I can’t say or make any commits on that radio as I’ve not first-hand experienced using it. The 730 is no prize chicken either when it comes to the GPS operation!!
I find that having to pay for the GPS from Garmin or NAVTEQ is a royal crock of crap myself in hind-site. Yes, it’s nice to not have another gadget hanging off the dash or another wire plugged into the socket, but if you do the math, I think it’s cheaper to buy an aftermarket GPS that has the free map and traffic updates, as then you’re current with the streets.
I kept my Magellan GPS that’s ironically NAVTEQ based GPS, that I get free map updates with. I have it in my other truck. Works great and can be used in one of our other vehicles. Bought it at Costco for under 200 bucks and comes with “FREE” lifetime maps and traffic updates.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Longhorn
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: Black/gold trim
rcgreg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport2011 View Post
I have it in my 2011 Ram Sport I cant even type a destination in, it only comes up with some many letters and numbers that you can use sure would be nice to have one that I could use! It wont load my pics or music either to put on the hard drive

Had the same problem try this, in the root directory of the USB stick or CD you use, make sure there is an .mp3 file for the unit to find. If it can't find one there it is too stupid to look further into folders you might have. You also have to be in PARK for it to work.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 3500
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
SASKRT is on a distinguished road

I am also from Saskatchewan and I am experiencing the same problems as you with the 730N. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get the problems with the routing fixed?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have talked to several dealerships and to the customer support at Chrysler with no results. I am calling customer support again this week to keep the pressure on because I am not going to give up until this unit routes like the handheld unit I have.

Call customer support for Chrysler and add more calls to the problem. They are aware of it but just told me that the routing in rural areas is not as accurate as it would be in more populated area. I think this expensive navigation should work the same or better than the handheld or dash mount units we can buy. Please call customer support 1-800-465-2001, raise the issue with your truck and help put the pressure on.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Just talked with Chrysler Canada again. There is no resolution to this navigation routing problem and they are not willing to replace this media center system with a Garmin based navigation system. I have also asked the dealership to replace the system with a Navigation system but they will not do it either.
I would have to pay for the replacement radio, parts and labor but I am not paying anyone anymore money after spending this much on a brand new truck.
It makes no sense to me for Chrysler to change from a Garmin system that worked very well to a MyGig system that does things a navigation system was only able to do 15 years ago. Nothing like taking a really big step backwards.
Come on Chrysler, step up and re-design the software in this system and have it make use of all the map data from Navteq instead of only using the verified data.
I am ready to get rid of the Dodge and go buy a Ford or GM just because of this piece of crap navigation system.

MYGIG NAVIGATION SYSTEMS IN CHRYSLER VEHICLES SUCK.

Here we are as the general public, buying the vehicles we want, just bend over and take it up the tail pipe.

From one very pissed off and frustrated Doage Ram 1500 Longhorn owner.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW
Color: Sagebrush Pearl/White Gold
BigE3 is on a distinguished road

That's a bummer your Nav isn't working well for you Spud. After reading this thread I did some testing on my 730n Nav and found that it was spot on with the Garmin in my Charger. True it is not as pretty and the POI selection is not as easy to use, but it does have some nice features that I found very helpful. One is you can enter trips and save them without even starting the navigation, I saved most of the trips that I normally take just sitting there in about 10 min. You can build a trip, even with multiple stops, save it and its there for you (you can name it whatever you like) next time you need it. Doing it this way also allows you to check out the Alternate Route to see if it is better for you than the "Faster" route (if that is set as your default). You might try to "build" a trip with stops along the way to see if you can get it to route you the way you want to go. I know this is not ideal and it should just route you the best way it can, but if the powers that be won't do anything for you, at least you will be able to effectively use your Nav while on a trip. This is also great to "build" a trip for sightseeing on roads that no Nav would route you on, like a coastal road or a mountain pass or to avoid going over roads that they would most likely route you on but you don't want to take. Another cool feature is the "Record Trail", in Map mode you just hit the "Record" button and it will record your route and you can save it. Why would you need this?, well even my Garmin gets it wrong a lot of the time...it will get you there, but not the best way possible, so if you know it is going to route you incorrectly you can record the best way, save it and it will be there for you to use again in the future. If you are like me, you always check the route before you head out on a trip anyway by using Mapquest or Google, so really the Nav, for me, is more like "flight following" (time estimation, traffic avoidance, and to make sure I'm paying attention and don't miss an exit or turn), so if I punch in the destination and it gives me a bad route, I wouldn't follow it anyway, so with the "record" I can log the route I want and use it next time. The way I see it the 730n is more like a device that a pro would use, it's stripped down but has some advanced functionality and the Garmin is something anyone can use, flashy, and simple but not as many options. If Garmin does have these features, I can't find them on mine (didn't spend a whole lot of time looking though). I also REALLY LIKE the Travel Link weather map...best thing ever down here in the southeast to avoid T-storms, or at the very least see where you might have a weather related slow down, and to see how long you will be in bad weather.

No Nav is 100%, my Garmin and Android Google Nav have been at odds for the past year (as long as I've owned the Charger), sometimes the Garmin gets it right, sometimes the Android, I would say the Android gets it right a little bit more often. At any rate, the navigation system is just a tool to help you along your route and should not be used as the SOLE authority on what route you should take, always plan your trip before hand.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW
Color: Sagebrush Pearl/White Gold
BigE3 is on a distinguished road

Did some more testing over the weekend on a short trip and found another nice feature, traffic alerts! Saw the little diamond on the screen tapped on the alert and it told me there was a slow down ahead. As it turned out there was a slow down exactly where the alert said it would be, just at the exit I was taking, but it warned me far enough ahead that I could have taken a detour if I wanted to (which it will do for you). I did find that the arrival time estimation was a bit off (had me arriving about 15 min. later than it should have), but oddly enough the drive time estimation was correct. The directions were perfect and the turn by turn voice pronounced the street names correctly and clearly (something the Garmin does not do well at all).
Some things I do miss from the Garmin, the 730n does not show the current posted speed limit, or your current speed. It also does not have a "picture" of the exit you are taking next. The map is more detailed so it makes it harder to see the route, and the map in general is smaller. It does give you a nice indication (voice prompt) of what is coming up with ample time to get yourself in the correct position without beating you over the head about your next move. Also, it seems the voice prompts are routed to the drivers speakers only so the passengers were not bothered with these. I like that it shows the next turn at the top of the map, it does not take up much space there and is very handy (Garmin has this too, but it is hard to tell when it is showing next turn and what you are on currently).
I like that I can load music on the built-in 30gb hard drive, but it takes from 15 - 30 min. to load a standard music CD so it would take quite some time to load up a good collection of music. Once loaded it is very easy to find a song, artist, album, or genre though it does take a couple of button presses to get there. The Gracenote music ID works great, labeled all the music I loaded correctly. I did not try to load music from a USB device so I don't know if it would be faster or not. The satellite radio has some nice features, for example it will show what artist or song is currently playing on your other presets, just hit the preset button 1 time to show your presets and the station, hit preset button again and it shows the artist, one more time and it shows the current song being played on the other presets. Also, if you pause the sat radio (like if you are going through a drive through), it will show what songs have been played while it was paused so you can skip the songs you don't like and play the ones you do until you get back to live. I do wish it had a "Mute" button, if I don't want my phone tethered to the unit and I take a call I have to turn it all the way down, pause it (if on sat), or turn it off, it would be nice to have a mute button and so simple to add, just wonder why they didn't.
All in all a very capable unit, though it is not as polished looking as some other units out there.