DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: True Blue Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
yashu is on a distinguished road

I too have experienced this wild route issue with my 2012 ram with the 730 nav. I live in Prince Albert Sask and wanted to set a route to Wadena Sask. The unit calculated my route and wanted to take me through Saskatoon on the way which is about a 300 km plus detour. I also tried to plot a trip to Weyburn Sask from Wadena sask and again it wanted to route me through Saskatoon. have tried all the settings and all are correct (I teach GPS use to others btw) So off to the dealer and they say its up to date. Not acceptable to pay $50,000.00 plus for a vehicle and have a POS nav system. I'm going up the chain and see what I get from Chrysler as a next reply. I urge all owners with the 730 nav to do the same. The squeeky wheel usually gets the grease.
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 12 Ram 3500 Longhorn Mega DRW
Color: Black/Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Flameout is on a distinguished road
Default 730N 30gb or 40gb?

I was searching through the web because I too was having issues on the 730N. Routing, Gracenotes not up to date and running out of usable space on the device. I have 9gb of music on it that was leaving with less than 2GB of space left. Then I saw on other Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep forums that the 2012 730N should be 40gb (20gb) usable not the 30gb (11gb usable). Now the sticker on my truck only shows that I have a 730N and not which one but I have a 2012 Mega Longhorn DRW and according to the Dodge brochure it is supposed to have the 40gb. I'm taking it in on Friday to the Dealership I purchased it from and seeing if I can get it swapped out with a new one. I hope with all the new software and maps. But seems this is been a big issue with the Jeeps and some Dodge's. I will let you know how it turns out. I have already opened up a case file with Dodge so I hope they do the right thing with out too much fuss.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
sooperjeenyus is on a distinguished road

<H1 style="MARGIN: 24pt 0in 0pt">Chrysler Audio Systems-Harman Becker Woes – RHR (RER730N)

Worst programming job ever!!

Music

The inability of the MyGig to be able to search a playlist by artist or title is inexcusable.
I have a huge music collection (over 2000 tracks) and copied it to a USB drive. I am stuck with having to scroll through hundreds of FOLDERS instead of names to find what I want. Why not call up the song or artist by name under a voice command? This would be a safety feature that is welcomed, and would prevent the driver’s eyes from wandering from the road to the radio face. Epic Fail Harman Becker ... Epic Fail! Has anyone from Harman Becker actually tried to use their own product?!?
Navigation

Ever try using your own voice navigation feature? My favorite useless feature is to try to find a point of interest. The system won’t search for “Sew-N-Vac” or “Wal-Mart,” it first wants me to describe the category of the point of interest. Now, I don’t know or care to know to which category someone has assigned the store that I wish to find. I didn’t ask to search by category, I asked to search for appoint of interest “by name”. I don’t wish to walk through some ridiculous backward folder structure. I can much more easily pick up a smart phone and say “navigate to sears”, and Google navigate will direct me effortlessly to the nearest sears store. No need for categories, no need for types, just a simple command. All these layers are aggravating and time consuming. Simplify the search to search by POI name. Under the current program, when I try to search by name, the system walks me down to a city. Then lists all the places on screen. However, there is no voice command other than next or line number at this point, which forces the user to walk through several screens that must be read rather than asking for the name of the place and then searching. This takes the drivers eyes off the road and is a safety concern. Why not just search for the name of the place and have the computer do the work?!? Currently, the unit tells me that it “cannot navigate to that name” which leads me to …
Phone Book vs. Address Book

When my phone book is loaded into the system automatically from my smartphone, there is no way to move the numbers into the default phone book folder. There is also no way to re-designate the default phone book folder. Now say I want to divert to friends house in another town because I am passing nearby. I say navigate to a name, and I call the name (which I know is in my phone book) and the system replies, there is no address for that name. Call me an idiot, but every phone book I have ever picked up has addresses in it. My phone book on my smart phone has addresses in it as does every other smart phone on the market. What moron came up with the idea of importing the phone numbers and names without the addresses?!? On top of that, the same moron then made a secondary default folder for the phone numbers, which goes unused, because the system creates a phone book for each phone that is connected; and a tertiary database for the addresses which must be loaded manually, letter by letter, instead of simply importing them from the phone. There is currently no way to a)combine the phone books, b) to set the default phone book, c) to import the numbers from one phone book to another, nor d) to import the addresses from the phone to default address book e)On top of having to input the addresses into the database manually, they keep mysteriously deleting themselves. Super-Duper-Epic-Fail on this one. Fire your programmer Harman Becker! As the umpire says: “Three strikes and yer outta there!”
Support

Big loss here. Haman Becker wanted to utilize the Chrysler dealer network as the support base for the MyGig, so they took down all their support numbers. Which would have been OK if they had bothered to train anyone in the field on how to use the system or provided some technical specs, or some programming directions, or god forbid some instructions on how to set up a file structure in the usb drive so the system would recognize your music folders. Kenwood does it. Alpine does it. Pioneer does it. Bose does it. So why can’t Harman Becker? Way to provide sub-standard service to accompany your substandard product.
Summary

Sorry Chrysler, but your association with Harman Becker can only harm your attempts to regain market share.
· Ford’s SYNC, is hands down a better system.
· KIA’s talk to text is miles ahead
· aftermarket availability of similar systems from Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine which have much easier to navigate many more desirable features at less than half the price of a MyGig
It is not looking good for a continued Chrysler/Harman Becker association.
Suggestions for Improvement

IF you plan to stay with the Harman Becker units, may I humbly suggest the following programming changes:
1. Hire a competent programmer with an understanding of current navigation and smartphone systems.
2. Have one phone book with addresses in order to simplify the phone book /address book syncing of the U-connect program and the integration of the voice navigation features.
3. Allow the designation of the default phone book (ie: default or current phone folder) for navigation purposes and or phone dialing purposes, -OR-
4. Automatically search the active folder when using navigation or phone dialing features.
5. Eliminate the multiple Navigation folders (in-motion folder, default folder, etc.) and point to the address book in use to get addresses for names stored.
6. Simplify the Navigation POI search feature to include a name function that is actually searched from voice command (ie: “navigate to McDonalds”) not “search for poi by name”> “Nearby”> “Restaurants” > and then an endless menu of scroll through choices of type of restaurants, then another endless menu of names, which cannot easily be searched. This feature is currently in the category of “nearly useless.” This is absolutely the worst POI search I have ever encountered. On a satisfaction scale of 1-10, it rates a negative 99. Model it after the Google Navigate voice search and you will have a winner.
</H1>
Old 08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel
Trim Level: Citadel
Color: Blue Steel
hlwaller66 is on a distinguished road

All, this thread has been very educational and good to see that others were feeling the same frustration as I was with my new Durango with the 730N RHR nav system. I was told in the test drive it was a Garmin unit, and the User Guide also shows Garmin screens, which I'm very familiar with as I've had a Garmin for years.

In trying to figure this out, I looked at two sites which have added to the frustration. http://www.dodge.com/en/2012/durango/technology/uconnect/ shows the hard buttons of the 730N RHR with a Garmin nav picture! However, if you dig into Uconnect, http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/dodge/index.html there is not a single model with the 730N hard keys and the Garmin nav system.

Spud67, what was the pricing they were suggesting to swap out your unit? I know you dont want to pay it, but curious what the cost is.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Spud67 is on a distinguished road

BigE3, the part of Canada I live in there is no traffic link option available on this unit, only with Sirius from the US systems not Canadian. I know the maps are more up to date in the US than they are in Canada, driving on my home town, the system even comes up with a screen telling me the "map data is not verified for this area". I do not want to sit and program my navigation before I leave on a trip and tell it which way i want to go. What if I am going somewhere I have never been to before and would like it to tell me how to get there. I want it to tell me how to get there with the faster or shorter route, I am not about to program it so it knows how I want to get there.
This system only uses the major highways in Canada and it really sucks. The traffic alert do not work in this area either, so we spend money for features that will never be used in the area we drive in.

hlwaller66 - the cost of a change in the radio head unit to one that actually uses Garmin software was going to be about $1400. There is not way I will pay them any more money for shit that doesn't work or I can't use.

Thanks for all the comments and information.
Chrysler must do something about this and I also recently contacted Marketplace from CBC TV with all the trouble there is with this system and that the dealership, parent company for the dealership or the manufacturer will do anything to resolve the issue.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: LongHorn Crew Cab 4X
Color: Bright White/Light Pebble Beig Accent
Roving Volunteer is on a distinguished road

Been using my RHR navigation system for just over one year and have traveled 30,000 miles (many long trips) works great really saved my butt in Washington DC last fall. Love it but there are many options one must learn. Had a navigational system on a 2011 3500 and loved it but find this one better.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: hunter green
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
sylster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sylster

300$ tomtom solves all those issues....glad I didn't order Vwith mine....

Sorry to hear it's not worth crap....specially for the amount of money one shells out for these fancy NAV radios

S
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Roving Volunteer - once again I state that the system really sucks for use in Canada, it probably works great in the US but I live, work and drive in Canada. My Garmin Handheld works better than this system in the turck.

The truck was on the lot so I didn't order it. If I had ordered the truck it would not have the navigation. I didn't want to continue using my Garmin set on the dash, this truck had it so I went for it.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Before i go on a trip, i go to Google maps & plan my route, then i print it out
my last trip was from San Diego to Toronto, then back south & home by a different route, my round trip was 7,600 miles
my quickest route is Interstate 8, Interstate 10, I-20, I-30, I-40, I-70, etc

The NAVTEQ mapping tells me to head North way the hell up to I-80 & go across the States, to me that is way out of my way

If you set your Nav to cities along the way, instead the whole trip, the mapping is pretty good

The 730N uses Navteq mapping, on both the RER & RHR mygig radios
the 430N RHB uses Garmin mapping

I decided to spend some money & purchased a Garmin NUVI ****LMT
the LMT stands for FREE Lifetime Maps & Traffic
i can go to my computer & update the maps any time that i wish

Now here is the kicker with our Ram radios with Navigation, they hardly ever update their own maps, Garmin is a bit better with updates
Say that it has been 3 years since you bought your vehicle, you want to update your systems mapping, You pay for the update, it is around $140 USD, then shipping + taxes, $179 USD. It comes in the mail & your irritated at paying for the update, but happy that you have it at last.
Then you look at the printing on the CD case, & the last update was 2010, that is what happened to me. None of the new highways around here are on it !!! we have 3 new highways that have been completed. So i went to the NAVTEQ website, went to their current maps, found an OLD highway that had a New highway connecting to it. On their website, it shows the area & the new highway that i have been using almost a year, shows to be UNDER CONSTRUCTION, just a long dirt area

Buy a Smart Phone with Mapping APPS, or a Garmin NUVI with LMT & Voice

For those of you up in Canada, i believe that i read somewhere that SIRIUS TRAFFIC, but not Sirius Travel, has been or about to be released

this is from some of our Canadian friends

Re: Traffic updates now avail on Sirius Canada?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traffic is working great again. Don't even have a sub. Most channels are working for me again so I'm assuming there's a free preview going on again.

My limited experience is it's showing very accurate traffic detail on the Gardiner, Lakeshore, and 401, down to average speed! Liking this...

Re: Traffic updates now avail on Sirius Canada?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't really notice it until I started getting warnings, but then realized I saw TMC on the side and pressing the info button shows a list of traffic issues.

Let me know how you make out, I want to keepnthe traffic service after my trial is done, and will activate in the US if I need to.
================================================== ==================================
according to Sirius, this is the current TRAFFIC maps
http://www.siriusxm.com/siriusxmtraffic/marketcoverage

Calgary, AB, Canada
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Montreal, QC, Canada
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Quebec City, QC, Canada
Toronto, ON, Canada
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-13-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I say it again, I do not want something sitting on my dash or suction cup to the windshield for navigation. The truck was on the lot and had the RHR in it, if I ordered it, I would not have the navigation because it sucks. I want a system in truck to work as well as the handheld or smart phone apps. We spend this much money on a new truck and the navigation doesn't even work as well as it could with todays technology.

I asked the dealer to replace it with a 430N but they would not because of the cost to them and they would not have any use for the 730N afterwards.

All I want is Chrysler to recall this piece of crap navigation system and install Garmin based software. Get rid of this crap MyGig navigation and use a system that many other companies are using and have proven track records.

Also where I live in Saskatchewan, Sirius Traffic will not help me at all. Not even Regina or Saskatoon is on the list for Sirius Traffic. Besides, Sirius Canada doesn't offer any features other than the music.