DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
storeboy is on a distinguished road
Default Door Locks

I am sorry if this is long winded but I wanted to give everyone the history on this problem. I have been having problems with my door locks locking/unlocking from the door buttons and the fobik.

I started off replacing the batteries in both my fobik's to see if I could rule them out but no change. I took it into the dealer and told them it was from the buttons on the driver/passenger door and the fobiks. They decided to try replacing one of the fobiks (I didn't understand the reasoning behind this but went with it)...no change. Then they contacted Dodge and were told to order a TIPM module. Well this part is extremely hard to come by for 2009's. The part was on a national back order and it took 2.5 months to get. Regardless, the part came in and was swapped out and all was well for about a couple of weeks and now I am back to square one with the same problem. I took it back into the dealer today and asked them if it would be possible to swap out the TIPM from a 2010; does anyone know if 2010's TIPM are backwards compatible?

I did some research and found that 2009's have had problems with their TIPM's and it has to do with the manufacturer. 2010 on up use a different manufacture and don't have the same issues. Of course Dodge hasn't issued a recall for this.

My question is this: Is there really any other option that I have than to just live with it? It is an intermittent issue (as in once every day or two) but when it acts up I can hit the unlock or lock button on my fobik for a 30-60 secs before it will work. I am starting to feel like it is just one of those issues that Dodge knows about, but they choose to look the other way. Has anyone else here had this issue?
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:11
Scoooter is on a distinguished road

Do you have any aftermarket electronic gadgets in the truck? I have a DiabloSport Trinity and when it's plugged up I get the same issue from time to time that you have. As soon as I unplugged it the problem went away. My guess is it was kicking out some kind of electronic interference. Other then that I'm not sure what it could be or if you will need to live with it.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 PM

I don't have anything extra on the truck, it is as stock as it gets at this point.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Just an update: I took it into the dealer today for them to look at again. They could not reproduce it. Opened a Star case with Dodge and they said if it cannot be reproduced then there is nothing they can do.

It is just frustrating to spend that much money for a truck and the door locks work when they want to. Considering I am at the end of my 36k warranty it looks like it is something I am going to have to live with as I cannot reproduce it on a whim for them.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have the 2009 RAM w/ Fobiks
i have the same issue now & then
My FOBIKs were replaced & it helped for a while
FOBIK stands for Frequency Operated Button Integrated Key

Now if it does Not unlock the doors, i click the Lock or Start button & then the Unlock button, works more often than not

Most RKEs operate at a frequency of 315 MHz for North America-made cars
Some RF interference can be from machine shops, automatic doors at stores, some home computers, lawn lighting, electric water fountains & sprinkler system

there are many people having this same issue, it was posted on this forum, check out the TSB 08-010-10 that is mentioned
http://www.ramforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-76405.html

================================================== ===================

Radio Interference. The 315 MHz band is less crowded than the unrestricted
ISM bands. 2.4 GHz systems have to share air waves and do
battle with high-powered signals originated from pervasive devices such
as Wi-Fi routers, mobile phones, VoIP phones, microwave ovens and
Bluetooth units. When high and low power transmissions share the same
frequency, higher power outputs always win. EnOcean-enabled sensor
networks are isolated from the crowded ISM air waves.
Solid Material Interference. Laws of physics dictate that low frequencies
penetrate through solid materials better than do high frequencies. A 315
MHz radio signal can penetrate more walls, ceilings and furniture than a
2.4 GHz signal.
FCC Friendly Limited Power Output. FCC regulations limit both duty cycle and transmit
power output on the 315 MHz band. The stipulation causes fewer transmissions
and subsequently less potential for interference (collisions).
Short RF Packets. FCC stipulations require that short RF packets be sent
on the 315 MHz air waves. This is ideal for sensor networks and allows for
higher node counts.
Data Streaming. The 315 MHz band does not allow the transmission of
continuous data without gaps. Less data in the air means less potential
for interference.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 12-29-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

I have had the same problem on my bone-stock 2010 since purchasing. Same as you described - I'll get out of the truck, and then try to lock with the fob, and it doesn't do anything. However, after about 30 seconds, it will work. I took it in originally and they said there was some bulletin out for it, but I took it in after my warranty expired (I have the extended max care with a 100 dollar deductible) and they told me I'd have to pay the warranty deductible for them to do the reflash or whatever it was. I decided to live with it for now....
Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
zobius is on a distinguished road

mine does this too i find if i carefully bend the little taps under the battery seems to fix it
hope this helps
Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Well my 2010 also does this from time to time. The first time it did this I cleaned the contacts on the Keyfob and it seemed to correct the problem.. However the last time it started doing this, cleaning the contacts had made no difference. It seems to go away on it's own and it is frustrating that there is no apparant pattern. Anyway I am just going to live with it and hope it dosen't get any worse.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
...there are many people having this same issue, it was posted on this forum, check out the TSB 08-010-10 that is mentioned
http://www.ramforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-76405.html
I have seen this thread, that TSB is for 2010's. From what I have read, 2009's used a different TIPM that had issues. For 2010's they switched do a different manufacturer and most of the issues went away, the few that didn't, they were able to update the flash memory. 2009's did not have the ability to have the flash memory updated and the manufacturer is gone (this is why it took so long for them to get my replacement TIPM).

I tried asking the dealer if a 2010 TIPM would work in a 2009 but they said no (I don't 100% believe their answer as they seemed to say no pretty quick). If anyone else here knows or can offer any input, I would appreciate it.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 AM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: trx
Color: white
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
ramfan1500 will become famous soon enough

like zobius said, i had this problem with my key fob. I took it apart and bent the little tabs up a little so that they make better contact to the battery, never had the problem since. You can stop this problem in 5 minutes, simple and it works