About camping.. - Page 3 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > Camping Zone!

Notices

Camping Zone! Do you tow a Camper? Tell us all about it here! Share ideas, info, tips and tricks etc!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 04-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:188
spamPALA has a spectacular aura aboutspamPALA has a spectacular aura about

I sleep inside my other 4wd a lot because it means just rolling up to wherever I want to sleep, already ready. That can be anywhere it's legal to have my vehicle including a parking lot or a residential side street or inside a parking garage, it can be in the middle of a marsh or on top of a rocky river bottom or anywhere that pitching a tent would simply not work or be acceptable.

I don't like the roof tents for a number of reasons - they have a meaningful negative impact on fuel efficiency, they increase driver fatigue because you always have to fight headwinds and sidewinds more, the soft ones get really gross really fast when you drive through insect-rich environments, they generally prevent entrance to parking garages, they get beat up on branches and rock overhangs on tight trails, climbing in and out isn't exactly elegant.

They do have some advantages over sleeping inside a cab-high shell or a SUV... like sit-up height. Not worth the disadvantages for me.

I had a camper shell on the back of my Ram, it was sort of cozy for sleeping but not really as nice as I'd have liked. Sold that, mostly use the Montero for camping trips anyway it's a little better set up for the wilderness. We have a ground tent and a backpacking ground tent for those kind of trips.. got a little backpack trip scheduled for this weekend

Sponsored Links
Advertisement