Should I Jump from 1500 to 2500 - Page 4 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum

Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum Are you thinking about purchasing a new Dodge Ram, but have a few questions you'd like answered before you buy? Register and ask away in this forum! We have the answers you need!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 06-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Rep:10
Marley is on a distinguished road

I also drive a lifted 05 TJ so no problem hopping in the 2500. Lol

I've had many 1500's over the years and can honestly say, I'll never own another one once owning a 2500.

You simply get more truck, beefed up drive train and components compared to 1500 series trucks.

I like the 6.4.....my brother is all about the CTD but we both tow.

If I didn't tow anything or fill the bed I'd likely own one of the pretend trucks like a Colorado or Toyota.....the real trucks wanna work. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Big Ho
TDRamOH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I also drive a lifted 05 TJ so no problem hopping in the 2500. Lol

I've had many 1500's over the years and can honestly say, I'll never own another one once owning a 2500.

You simply get more truck, beefed up drive train and components compared to 1500 series trucks.

I like the 6.4.....my brother is all about the CTD but we both tow.

If I didn't tow anything or fill the bed I'd likely own one of the pretend trucks like a Colorado or Toyota.....the real trucks wanna work. Lol
Awesome! I love my TJ. Had my first one (a 2000) as a daily driver for 11 years (frame rotted out) and my current one for 6.

In the parking lot of the hotel I am at now (no WiFi after this) is the EXACT truck I am looking at in a different color - 2019 6.4L CC Tradesman 2500 short box in White. Has the Off Road package as well. Is that a sign?? I was just standing there looking at my '05, then looking at the 2500. It is so big and mean looking, and the looks are getting me.

The ride up here in the 1500 has been great, as usual. But I watched as countless 3/4 ton trucks went down the freeway, some towing, some not. I'm trying to think of it as if I were traveling in the bigger truck and what it would be like. I am also paying attention to things like parking, pulling in tight parking lots, etc. The wife asked me if I am going to buy one and seems to be on board if I decide to do it, so that's reaffirming. Ball is in my court. I am hearing it's a lot of truck to have if it's not used as designed, but I am also hearing sentiments like yours that folks won't go back to the smaller truck.

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2019, 12:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2017 Ram Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
oldgoat is on a distinguished road

Like you said, you need 'Ent put yourself in a bind. I was happy with my 2011 1500, except for the short bed, but in 2017 my wife wanted to start traveling again. If you don't get in a rush, and play hardball (with respect), you can get a good deal. My truck was advertised at $74,000 and something. I dealt with the dealership on line and took pictures of my 2011 and sent them to the salesman. They knocked $10,000 and something off of the 2500 that I wanted and gave me $26,000 for my 2011. So I paid $38,000 and something for my new 2017 2500 limited 4x4 mega cab with the 6.7 and 6'4" bed. I love my truck. What I am trying to get at is, don't be in a hurry and if they want deal, find another dealership. The dealership that I bought my 2017 was around 150 miles away. So if you can get a good deal, don't be faired to drive for it. Then any recalls that will come, you can get it done at the dealership close to you. Good luck fishing. Lake Somerville that is a mile from our house is closed because of all the rain that we had and it is around 12 foot above full pool and with more rain coming, who knows when they will open the dam. They have to wait until the Brazos river goes down before they can start lowering the lake level.

Last edited by oldgoat; 06-30-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

SilverBeast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRamOH View Post
This is all great insight and really helps me weigh this decision. I will be fishing next week, so I will have plenty of time to think.

I did take a couple short test drives in the trucks I am interested in. I tried to remember what it was like in the 2500 while driving my truck back home. Yeah, there's a difference, but it wasn't enough seat time to really define what that was. I can put it this way - nothing jumped out at me to get me thinking, "OMG, this truck rides really rough!" Going from a 2WD Dakota to a 4x4 1500 I did notice a difference. It took some time to get used to the fact it was more bouncy. The gap between '05 1500 and '19 2500 didn't seem nearly as wide as Dakota to 1500.

I drive an '05 Wrangler as a daily driver. I installed H&R springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks on it. It tosses me around a bit, but it's a Jeep and I like it. That's why I am thinking the 2500 ride will be acceptable to me. I guess I am thinking too much about others as passengers, but I will be pretty much the only driver of this vehicle, so why should I care?

That has been my thinking/rationalization. I can get something out of my truck now. Sure, conventional, practical reasoning says sock money away and buy later (one poster suggested making a payment each month to my account, which has been a thought of mine as well), but without discipline that money will end up elsewhere.

I appreciate the views from all sides. Good food for thought. One basic theme I am hearing is if it is financially feasible then go for it, life is short, enjoy it. That does weigh into it as well - enjoy life while I can, but don't put myself into a bad situation financially. But, like some posters said, if it's not really practical and necessary, don't go that route. Half-ton is plenty.

Oh well, I have to cool my jets on this for a week, so we'll see what happens after that and if they're still available. Thanks!
Your a man. Be disciplined. End up Rich. Then party hardy!
Old 07-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2015 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White
Dumguy is on a distinguished road
Default your call but...

A little insight from a 2500 owner. the difference in ride is great. 1500's ride like cars and there is nothing wrong with that - I'm not trying to insulat anybody or their truck. A 2500 is a truck and rides like one. Luckily the Rams have coil springs so they are way smoother than the competition - but still stiff. I've had my 2500 for over 4 years and love it but I bought it because I have a long driveway and wanted a V-plow. My old 1500 (granted it was a GMC) with a straight blade could not push the snow I needed to push. The 2500 has gotten me out of several spots where I thought I was screwed for sure. If you need or want a TRUCK then get a 2500! they are built like tanks compared to the 1500's and can go through just about anything. I have a Longhorn so it's really comfortable but I still feel every crack and bump in the road with a jerk.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
vabch22 is on a distinguished road

I got rid of my 2008 1500 QC and picked up a 2016 CC. I got the crew because I wanted more room for the dog and adults in the back, but miss the 6.5 ft bed. I didn't do a lot of towing, so that wasn't a factor for me at the time. I also wanted to get a 'classic' body style before FCA messed it all up with the pig nose. But looking back, I wish I would have jumped to the 2500 (wanted to save 10k). I've driven a few and really like them. The ride doesn't bother me at all. It's just more truck that will allow you to grow (imo). I will probably upgrade as soon as I find a deal to make it worth while.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Big Ho
TDRamOH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumguy View Post
A little insight from a 2500 owner. the difference in ride is great. 1500's ride like cars and there is nothing wrong with that...

If you need or want a TRUCK then get a 2500! they are built like tanks compared to the 1500's and can go through just about anything.
Thanks for the insight! This helps as you made the upward move. My '05 does dance a bit on bumpy roads, especially when empty, so I'm used to that. Sounds like it is not a concern for me. I do want a TRUCK - I think that's what got me started with the 2500. I always liked the brawny stance, look, and capability of it, but it's the other minor concerns that get in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
I got rid of my 2008 1500 QC and picked up a 2016 CC. I got the crew because I wanted more room for the dog and adults in the back, but miss the 6.5 ft bed...

The ride doesn't bother me at all. It's just more truck that will allow you to grow (imo).
From my two brief experiences driving the '19 2500 I didn't notice and huge difference in ride from mine, but they were short rides and it's tough to compare. If the ride is similar on long trips to my current truck I'll call it a wash. The big concern is driving 1500 mile (or more) round trip with passengers, and that's 'cause I'm nice. Day to day when I climb into it I expect it to ride like a truck and that's cool. As for bed length, I could not live without the extra 9 inches of bed length. I need every cubic inch of space when packing for trips or camping.

Thanks again all. A decision is near. I am still somewhat bipolar about this, going back and forth on what to do. Just got back from a trip to Canada in my '05 and it performed flawlessly. That makes justifying this move even harder!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
vabch22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I need every cubic inch of space when packing for trips or camping.
I just ran into this issue last weekend when I went camping for the 4th (though I had a lot of crap I didn't need).

Best of luck on your decision. Let us know what you decide!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

SilverBeast is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=TDRamOH;2195059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumguy View Post
A little insight from a 2500 owner. the difference in ride is great. 1500's ride like cars and there is nothing wrong with that...

If you need or want a TRUCK then get a 2500! they are built like tanks compared to the 1500's and can go through just about anything.
I still say figure out what your monthly payment will be, put that money into an account for a year and see how it feels to not have that money. Go as long as you can without touching that money.

At some point in Time you'll be able to just take that money and straight up buy that truck.

How much longer do you think you could wait before getting a new truck? You could use that money for TFSA(Canadian Tax Free Savings account), RRSP(tax deferred savings plan in Canada) or IRA? Roth IRA? 401k? And reduce your taxes helping to make that purchase!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement