I need new tires - Page 2 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > HD RAM - 2500 | 3500 | 4500 Ram Truck Forum > HD RAM - WHEELS & TIRES

HD RAM - WHEELS & TIRES Heavy Duty wheels and tire discussion!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:976
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

Just FWIW a lot of dudes with diesel HD trucks aren't getting great life out of KO2s. A guy I work with got 14,000 miles out of the set on his 1 ton Powerstroke SRW with a Ranch Hand up front. Supposedly they changed the compound last year to address that though.

I got 61,000 miles out of my last set of KO2s btw

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
2009RamMan is on a distinguished road

I have heard good things on the nitto ridge grappler.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Don't know
Color: Brown I think
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
jmwman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
Just FWIW a lot of dudes with diesel HD trucks aren't getting great life out of KO2s. A guy I work with got 14,000 miles out of the set on his 1 ton Powerstroke SRW with a Ranch Hand up front. Supposedly they changed the compound last year to address that though.

I got 61,000 miles out of my last set of KO2s btw
In my case that might not matter as I don't put many miles on my truck. I had a blow out on the left rear last friday. They were Michelins with 40k miles on them, but I put them on 7 years ago. I'm kind of pissed about it though because before the blowout I had decided I needed to get new tires A S A P, because I could tell the rubber was brittle as hell... When they blew, it cause a significant amount of damage to my left rear wheel well and body. A body shop estimated over $5k in work. The lesson I learned is, no matter how many miles you have on them, 7 years is too long. Though, at my rate 14k miles is only a little over 2 years, that's still premature, but maybe I'll be lucky and can get them to last 3-4 years.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

There's a truck parked out front of my house, same truck as mine except he's got bigger tires, a lift, and fenders. It looks amazing. He's got 37" tires on his truck, they are the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 37x12.5R17LT

I kind of wonder what his gearing is. What's the largest tire size you guys would go on a 3.73 gear ratio?

Edit: OH, and there's mud on the side of it....
Old 07-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:976
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwman View Post
In my case that might not matter as I don't put many miles on my truck. I had a blow out on the left rear last friday. They were Michelins with 40k miles on them, but I put them on 7 years ago. I'm kind of pissed about it though because before the blowout I had decided I needed to get new tires A S A P, because I could tell the rubber was brittle as hell... When they blew, it cause a significant amount of damage to my left rear wheel well and body. A body shop estimated over $5k in work. The lesson I learned is, no matter how many miles you have on them, 7 years is too long. Though, at my rate 14k miles is only a little over 2 years, that's still premature, but maybe I'll be lucky and can get them to last 3-4 years.
I worked for a rancher when I was in high school who had a tire failure when he and his son were coming back from a fishing trip. The tires were old and cracking on the sides, belt separated and flailed around and he ended up replacing the bed on his f250. Most expensive set of tires he's ever bought he said

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 07-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2017 RAM
Trim Level: Tradesman, Crew Cab
Color: Bright Red
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
rltaylor46 is on a distinguished road

Hello jmwman,
I have a little info that may be of interest.

But first, I wanted to say to all members that I cannot remember when I posted last. I always read everything when I get the past week's posts via my email. I guess I just rarely have anything, I THINK might be of interest. I realize that's not true, and will really try to be a more active member. I don't remember if there is an introduction thread, but if there is, someone please let me know. I know I caught heck on one forum for not doing that.

So, my thoughts on the tires. Now, I realize you've already purchased your new tires, and I'm sure they'll be fine. My situation's maybe like yours, in that I don't put many miles on my truck. I had a 2003 RAM for 13 years, and it only had 54K on it in 2016, when I sold it. It had the Michelin OEM tires on it, still had plenty of tread left, and no cracking at all. And, I live in Arizona! However, my RAM was almost always garaged. And when it wasn't, I used the tire covers from Harbor Freight. Don't know where your truck lives, but I just thought I'd pass that along. No doubt that keeping those tires covered helps preserve them. I've always used tire treatment, and I think that helps preserve them, as well. Just my opinion on everything, of course.

I've always heard that tires should be replaced after ten years, regardless of how many miles are on them.

Just briefly, I replaced the 2003 with a 2017 2500 Tradesman, crew cab with the 6.4L gas engine. It has the 3.73 diff. gearing. I just put 265/70R18 General Grabgers on it, with new 18x9 Black machined rims MOTO METAL 970 wheels. I miss my 2003, as it had a Cummins, and I loved it. I swear it could pull a house off it's foundation! Never even noticed when I was pulling a car trailer, with car onboard. but, it was long bed, and I just got tired of having to parking in the far end of parking lots so I could back in. I love my 2017 though.

Alright y'all. I promise to be more active. and before someone has to tell me so, I realize this isn't the tread to intro myself. Tell me where to find such a thread, and also how to post pix. I'll do better, promise!
Thanks
Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 660lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
ElectraGlide001 is on a distinguished road

Tires... What a worry... I've probably spent more time worrying about tires and sizes and warranty (Well, really... not so much about warranty...) and ride and traction, than I ever did about buying a truck in the first place... The bottom line is that I LIKE RUBBER under my truck... More than stock rubber... Better traction than stock rubber... More... Better... Ooohrahhh!!! RUBBER! As long as it doesn't rub, wear funny and will fit my rims... My demands are simple; SAFELY, Get me wherever I want to go, on whatever terrain I choose to drive on... Pull whatever load I want to load, in whatever weather Mother Nature gives me, and last as long as is reasonable, (And, reasonable is defined by ME!)... I know I'm not asking much..;~) Tires: Oh my... What a topic..! The back story is that I love off-roading... Minor off-roading... I learned many years ago that major off-roading costs more money than I make... And I have made some really expensive mistakes while learning the limitations of my vehicle, and myself... Paying off those mistakes took a long time, and there were a lot of lessons learned... I've moved from a 1945 Willys Jeep through Toyota Landcruisers, CJ-5's and 7's, and pre-'59 NAPCO 4x4's, to K-10's and much newer Z-71's and then onward to the ultimate!!! Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually 4x4's---ALL with manual transmissions!!! I've Beat them, Thrashed them, Bashed them, Smashed them, Babied them, AND Broke them... And, in my old age, I've finally learned to find a happy medium and just use them... They last SO much longer when you add common sense... Tires... YeeHaaaaw!

That said, on my last Dually, a 98-1/2, 5.9L 24 Valve, 5-SP 4x4 with some serious performance mods, I put on some Hankook DynaPro ATM LT285/70/R/17's. I had to add a spacer between the rear wheels for 3/4" clearance between the sidewalls, but I'm telling you those tires were "all that walked". Quiet on asphalt with a little whine on concrete at 70 MPH... I overloaded that truck beyond stupid, drove from Texas to the East Coast many times with a load on the trailer that was just plain "wrong", and went through terrain that hadn't seen a human since before World War II... Places that your mother "warns" you about... Best tires I've EVER had on ANYTHING! I bought a new 2016 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4 Dually with that 6.7 L and special ordered a 6-Speed (Cause I always wanted "just one more gear"), I added an 1 1/2" spacer for the rear wheels and did the same tires, but I have some room for bigger with those spacers... ... I have 46,000 miles on this set, and I'm hoping that they wear out in the next century so I can get maybe 305's or 325's to replace them... They are telling me that isn't going to happen soon... Tread wear is "GREAT"! I've compared them with about every tire that starts with a letter in the alphabet, and I've found none that compare in performance vs treadwear. I'll simply recommend that you go with the most rubber that will "reasonably" fit on the truck, and within your budget, and "git er' done!" It really is "WAY" cool when you can simply "idle" your truck in 4x4 low range and pull someone with super monster bad-to-the-bone mud tires out of the mud with a tow strap and a smile..;~) Tires... What a topic!!!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2017 Ram Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
oldgoat is on a distinguished road

Go to Discount tires and they will show you what tires will fit your truck and them you can choose. Or you can go to their web site and enter your tire size and see what pops up. Most of the time, there are rebates. I only by our tires from them and have been satisfied.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltaylor46 View Post
Hello jmwman,
I have a little info that may be of interest.

But first, I wanted to say to all members that I cannot remember when I posted last. I always read everything when I get the past week's posts via my email. I guess I just rarely have anything, I THINK might be of interest. I realize that's not true, and will really try to be a more active member. I don't remember if there is an introduction thread, but if there is, someone please let me know. I know I caught heck on one forum for not doing that.

So, my thoughts on the tires. Now, I realize you've already purchased your new tires, and I'm sure they'll be fine. My situation's maybe like yours, in that I don't put many miles on my truck. I had a 2003 RAM for 13 years, and it only had 54K on it in 2016, when I sold it. It had the Michelin OEM tires on it, still had plenty of tread left, and no cracking at all. And, I live in Arizona! However, my RAM was almost always garaged. And when it wasn't, I used the tire covers from Harbor Freight. Don't know where your truck lives, but I just thought I'd pass that along. No doubt that keeping those tires covered helps preserve them. I've always used tire treatment, and I think that helps preserve them, as well. Just my opinion on everything, of course.

I've always heard that tires should be replaced after ten years, regardless of how many miles are on them.

Just briefly, I replaced the 2003 with a 2017 2500 Tradesman, crew cab with the 6.4L gas engine. It has the 3.73 diff. gearing. I just put 265/70R18 General Grabgers on it, with new 18x9 Black machined rims MOTO METAL 970 wheels. I miss my 2003, as it had a Cummins, and I loved it. I swear it could pull a house off it's foundation! Never even noticed when I was pulling a car trailer, with car onboard. but, it was long bed, and I just got tired of having to parking in the far end of parking lots so I could back in. I love my 2017 though.

Alright y'all. I promise to be more active. and before someone has to tell me so, I realize this isn't the tread to intro myself. Tell me where to find such a thread, and also how to post pix. I'll do better, promise!
Thanks

The truck has been on my driveway in Dallas for 7 years. So they've been exposed to plenty of sun and heat, but I don't think that matters too much because I had to get one tire replaced last year because of a nail in the sidewall and when I bought my tires 7 years ago, I bought 5 and put one on the spare, so when I had that blowout I was able to put on a 7 year old Michelin tire with full tread on it. Then I was able to compare the condition of the 7 year old Michelin that was in the shade for 7 years to the 1 year old Michelin. The spare had cracks near and parallel to the edge of the rim while the tire that was put on a year ago had rubber that looked like it was in much better condition. I've read that the rubber will degrade no matter where it is kept, even if it is kept in an air conditioned warehouse the rubber will degrade.

I went to Discount tire to get the new tires, and they had a sign on the wall. "Vehicle manufacturers recommend replacement at 6 years". "Most tire manufacturers' warranties expire at 6 years". "Most tire manufacturers recommend replacement at 6 years". "Industry organizations recommend replacement at 10 years."

The sign also explained that the breakdown of the rubber has to do with the air. "Certain chemicals added to new tires allow rubber to stay soft and flexible longer. Over time and as air migrates through the tire, the chemical's effectiveness weakens, causing rubber to become more brittle and lose strength."

There was a second sign on the wall that said the probability of a tire problem increases with age. "For your safety, Discount Tire recommends you replace any tire that is in service 6 years or more past the date of manufacture. Tires 6 years and older are at a higher risk of tread separation side wall bulges and other tire problems."

Oldgoat, I've always used Discount in the past, even worked for them for about a year in High school 20 years ago. They do have a system that tells you what tires will fit, but while the 285/70R17 comes standard with the 2011 power wagon, Discount tire does not show it as an option for the 2011 ST or SLT models. If I were to select the power wagon trim, then the 285/70R17 will show up. I'm not really sure if there's a major difference between ST/SLT and the Power Wagon's clearance for tires, but I feel like Discount tire isn't giving us all the options available to us. Either that, or Discount tire believes there's clearance issues with the 285/70R17 on the ST and SLT trims. Maybe for 99% of our driving this size is no problem for us but maybe when the vehicle is subjected to a higher chance of clearance issues, ie, when the shocks are fully compressed while you have the steering turned fully in one direction, maybe in that scenario the tires will rub, and that would explain why Discount tire won't list it as an option. I don't drive like that.

ElectraGlide, I would love to go bigger. Heck, I would love to have those 37" tires I saw on that other truck and put them on my truck. I can't afford that right now. Maybe one day I will be able to afford to do more mods on my truck. In the meantime, I like to do my research and know all my options. If I ever do feel like I can afford to do a lift, I need to know whether I would need to do a gear swap, and I need to know what that's going to cost me as well.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Mac 731 is on a distinguished road

I put a new set of Firestone 250109 Transforce HT BL LT275/70R18 on my Ram 2500 CrewCab. It's my second set after 70k miles. I tow 5k to 10k trailers 500 miles a month. I'm happy with tire performance in all conditions including pits with deep mud. The only thing I don't like is the treads hold stone for the first 10k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement