408 stroker suggestions - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 06-28-2019, 07:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x4 QCSB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver metalic
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:20
Farm-All is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, looking at building a 408 for my daily truck(2001 qcsb 4x4 soon to be on 35’s) trans hasnt got 20k on a rebuild where it got an auxiliary trans cooler as the factory is prone to failure.. anyways, what do yall think the 408 kit from hughes and a stock top end with a mild cam, could i get some life out of my trans, whats hp numbers, i really want some power but i cant pay for a trans too rn, later it will get a nv4500 but for now the stock 46re will have to do.. kinda looking 410hp and 450~tq is this setup decent will have it tuned but hopefully keep power low, ill drive with some sense, i just wonder what you guys think im looking at for life expectancy on the trans, probably throw a set of rockers in to 1.6/1.7 rollers.

Last edited by Farm-All; 06-28-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 03:30 AM

Vehicle: 1991 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:99
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Stock rebuilds vary, as many never really got it down when it comes to the OD section. That OD was initially designed for a max input of 400 lbs torque. Naturally, if your engine is belting out that sort of torque, the trans will have shifted OUT of OD, so you're not likely to explode the thing with too much input, but it does explain why a stocker should never tow with OD. For the stroker, you should at least have better clutches and Kolene steels installed. The stock "paper" clutches are gonna soak up an inordinate amount of power. As for the top-end Magnum system, it's set up for torque. MP sold a performance cam, that they called the Magnum RT cam (not to be confused with Magnum RT Dakota packages). That cam came on about where the stock intakes hit a wall. On a 318, that was above 4,000rpm, so you can imagine where that 408 would dead end. You definitely will not make the numbers you're thinking with a stock top end, but it will have grunt down low.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 15 BigHorn Ecodiesel
Trim Level: Big Horn CC
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:287
namretsud is a jewel in the roughnamretsud is a jewel in the roughnamretsud is a jewel in the rough

Talk to striker2237 about stroking.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x4 QCSB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver metalic
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:20
Farm-All is on a distinguished road

Thanks to both you guys for your responses, my trans was rebuilt with better clutches, ik he added the additional clutch disk i think dad had him do a shift kit ill have to ask as he knows the trans better than me.. im hoping to get a year or so on the 46 then swap the trans for a nv4500 or a g56 from a hemi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement