MDS deactivation - Page 2 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 07-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant White
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:10
HEMIMANN is on a distinguished road

Well, I had an infamous GM 5.3L V8 oil pumper with MDS in the 2000's, and due to a cheapened power cylinder, they started losing ring seal around 20,000 miles with conventional oil and 40,000 miles with synthetic oil - and only the deactivated cylinders - they ran cold and sludged the ring grooves. So no matter what any OEM claims, I turn off my Ram MDS in the winter months. The idea is great - the execution is suspect and unless you designed and tested the engine yourself, you don't really know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 09:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Nouseforaname is on a distinguished road

Range technology makes a plugin module that is supposed to keep mds turned off, is about $200 though.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Color: black
bucherj is on a distinguished road
Default Mds

I for one can tell you that it is NOT seamless if you have anything but the stock exhaust. From the day I bought my used 2016 Limited I thought there was something wrong with the truck. It has a Flowmaster exhaust which I like but it drones to the point of being seriously annoying when in ECO mode and at low speeds where it can not make up it's mind what gear of 8 it want's to be in. It only smooths out when you press the accelerator enough to kick it out of ECO. Quite honestly since I was not a previous RAM owner and pretty much bought the truck sight unseen, I would never buy another RAM unless you could totally deactivate this feature.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Rep:976
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandieWood View Post
I am new to the Dodge world. Can you explain what you mean by deactivating the MDS, please. I just purchased a 2106 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4 Hemi. I have used the Gear + & - buttons on my steering wheel, to witch I did not see any type of difference. However, I have used it pulling a trailer both up and down a very steep hill, it worked as I thought it should. It kept me from spinning the tires. I will say I will not be using the tow/haul button ever again, my fuel mileage went from 18 to 9 using the tow/haul. Mind you I was pulling an empty trailer one way and the return trip I had a Cub Cadet lawnmower.
It means you keep the engine running on 8 cylinders all the time. MDS/Multi-Displacement System deactivates 4 cylinders under light load.

I'd use tow/haul when towing, all it does is adjust the shift mapping to where the engine will rev higher to make more power before shifting and engine brake going downhill. Depending on how much you're pulling it may be hard on your transmission not to use tow/haul (not if its just a lawnmower though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIMANN View Post
Well, I had an infamous GM 5.3L V8 oil pumper with MDS in the 2000's, and due to a cheapened power cylinder, they started losing ring seal around 20,000 miles with conventional oil and 40,000 miles with synthetic oil - and only the deactivated cylinders - they ran cold and sludged the ring grooves. So no matter what any OEM claims, I turn off my Ram MDS in the winter months. The idea is great - the execution is suspect and unless you designed and tested the engine yourself, you don't really know.
Chrysler hasn't had the issues with cylinder deactivation that GM has

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucherj View Post
I for one can tell you that it is NOT seamless if you have anything but the stock exhaust. From the day I bought my used 2016 Limited I thought there was something wrong with the truck. It has a Flowmaster exhaust which I like but it drones to the point of being seriously annoying when in ECO mode and at low speeds where it can not make up it's mind what gear of 8 it want's to be in. It only smooths out when you press the accelerator enough to kick it out of ECO. Quite honestly since I was not a previous RAM owner and pretty much bought the truck sight unseen, I would never buy another RAM unless you could totally deactivate this feature.
Flowmasters are loud and drone all the time whether you are in 4 or 8 cylinder mode. There are better quality systems that don't drone

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 07-14-2019, 11:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Mega Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
Has anybody figured our a way to deactivate the MDS without using the gear buttons on the steering wheel? Is there a wire that can be cut, a fuse that can be pulled on any other way to permenatly deactivate the system. I asked my dealer if they could do it in the computer and got a resounding no. Can the rockers be replaced with non MDS ones?
Not trying to sell you, but alfaodb program should, I know it did on my 2011, and it had no problem programming my 2016 3500, it can access dealer only options too, I am a big fan. I do recommend buying the recommended plug, not a cheaper Ebay one, please note, it isn't made by the guy who writes the program

Just happens to be the one that works the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidefan1967 View Post
The only other way besides the steering wheel buttons is a tune and all 2015 and newer RAM's have locked PCM's so you would need to have your stock PCM unlocked or buy one that's already unlocked. Anything that you do to the engine (cam change, non-MDS lifters) still needs tuning to prevent a CEL. You can more than likely kiss any warranty goodbye with any of those mods depending upon how lenient your dealer is on those kind of things too.
As stated above I have had no issues with my 2016 3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIMANN View Post
gms have always sucked with their cylinder shutdown, what do you expect?

Lastly you can download a demo, for free, that won't let you change options. But will let you look through them. , so you don't have to waste your money
Old 07-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Express Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Express Crew Cab
Color: Black
kraut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucherj View Post
Just use the transmission selector buttons and take it out of the +/- setting, which will keep it out of the ECO mode and then just advance the transmission to the 8th gear. It will upshift or downshift as needed but keep it out of the ECO and Cyl deactivation. I do that when driving around town and roads where the speed limit is below 50 mph. I hate the vibrating sound and noise like I'm getting detonation that the engine gives off when running at 30mph and in ECO mode. I also took my aftermarket exhaust off due the loud noise I was getting in the cab when pulling my travel trailer. It sounded like I had the tailpipes sticking through my back window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement