picking up new travel trailer. - Page 3 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > LD RAM - General Discussion

LD RAM - General Discussion RAM 1500 General Chat. Please post your tech questions in the HELP Zone!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 07-16-2019, 07:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Gray
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
HydroplaneU3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatchewan Keith View Post
we have 2014 ram hemi 392 gear pulls 22foot 3500lbs bumper pull travel trailer very well it's not the weight it's the wind which no matter what direction we go it's a head wind.
This is a fact!!! I remember a friend pulling a combine home on a goose neck behind a Dodge with a 383 back-in-the-day and everything went great until he hit 40 MPH and it was like a brick wall. haha

I think you will want more power when getting on hills as well but will be satisfied with the V-6 and if it is what you have you have to give it a chance. My Hemi will pull easily and the gas guage moves to empty with the same amount of ease.

Please let up know how your fuel mileage goes. My truck get 8 on rolling hills and 10.5 on flat. Would love to know how the V-6 does on fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 07:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Gray
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
HydroplaneU3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatchewan Keith View Post
we have 2014 ram hemi 392 gear pulls 22foot 3500lbs bumper pull travel trailer very well it's not the weight it's the wind which no matter what direction we go it's a head wind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tred View Post
Congrats on the new travel trailer. The wife & I have been looking for one, that sleeps 2.
But not in a rush. I just wish a lot of these didn't have the bunk house. Enjoy the experience!
I agree. We purchased a new smaller camper that was a BH and after 1 year I tore out the bunks and re-configured the layout. Then we were perfectly happy with our camper. This was our "learner" camper. haha
Old 07-16-2019, 07:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2018 ram 2500 mega cab
Trim Level: limited
Color: brilliant black
Engine: 2016-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 900lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
tabber02 is on a distinguished road

congrats on the new Jayco! you're going to love it, one of the best warranties in the business--peace of mind.

my wife and i have a Jayco Jay Flight SLX, we love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fBs%Z3HGQPSg0oRfYSTIJQ.jpg (125.6 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:45
rathrbcruisin is on a distinguished road

we hope to go camping this weekend. I have not moved it since we got home. we've been cleaning and getting it ready. I think for now i'll have to make the v6 work no matter what. It's not in the budget to get a new tow vehicle. I'll post results as I go.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:49 AM

Vehicle: 19 Ram 3500 Crew SB SRW
Trim Level: Laramie LongHorn
Color: Patriot Blue
ColdCanuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
With everything I have read, you only upgrade one time. So I bought a 3500 Cummins with the aisin and 410s. They happened to have a dually. I was not looking for one, and would of been happy with srw or drw.

But I have to say she tows like a dream. And I now love diesel.

Big recommendation read allot first. Learn, then buy. I loved my hemi, wish I could of kept her and got my 3500. But I do not regret the move. The 3500 ( my nick name for her is " big booty Judy " ) hauls so much better, rides better, and goes through brakes far less. And she drives better with her theme song ( did I mention she has a theme song? : "honkey tonk bodonkadonk" ) playing......

I can't even tell my trailer is back there...
Ditto but with SRW and 3.73 gears. Generally it's not always apparent that the trailer is attached to the the truck. Back in June, though, on the lone prairie, headed west on the Trans Canada Hwy, was running perpendicular to northerly storm winds blowing steady 30 (MPH) gusting 50. Even through the truck outweighs the trailer, she was still getting whipped around real good. Not nearly as white knuckle as would be with the half ton, but enough to make ya sit up and pay attention.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:58 PM

Engine: 2016-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 900lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanuck View Post
Ditto but with SRW and 3.73 gears. Generally it's not always apparent that the trailer is attached to the the truck. Back in June, though, on the lone prairie, headed west on the Trans Canada Hwy, was running perpendicular to northerly storm winds blowing steady 30 (MPH) gusting 50. Even through the truck outweighs the trailer, she was still getting whipped around real good. Not nearly as white knuckle as would be with the half ton, but enough to make ya sit up and pay attention.
that sure sounds white knuckle... steady 30 must have the trailer crabbing behind you... only wind experiences i get are going over bridges...
Old 07-18-2019, 02:01 AM

Vehicle: 19 Ram 3500 Crew SB SRW
Trim Level: Laramie LongHorn
Color: Patriot Blue
ColdCanuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber02 View Post
that sure sounds white knuckle... steady 30 must have the trailer crabbing behind you... only wind experiences i get are going over bridges...

Yup, was driving real close to the shoulder cuz the trailer was drifting into the fast lane during the gusts. I us a Reese Strait-Line WDH setup too and it works well but the trailer can snap back quite aggressively in gusty conditions, which are all too common on the prairies.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanuck View Post
Yup, was driving real close to the shoulder cuz the trailer was drifting into the fast lane during the gusts. I us a Reese Strait-Line WDH setup too and it works well but the trailer can snap back quite aggressively in gusty conditions, which are all too common on the prairies.
yeah that's a little nerve racking going from the right side of a lane into the fast lane from wind gusts.... wow is right.

weight distribution hitches are the way to go. i'm running one too, the Curt Equal-i-zer WDH, pretty happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement