washing black trucks? - Page 4 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express Blk Ram Edt
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:85
Gtone will become famous soon enough

I usually wash my truck by hand at home but in the winter I take it through the automatic car wash. I towel dry it immediately after. I use Maguire's spray on wax every other time and my paint seems to be holding up nicely. That stuff really makes her shine! I know I already posted this pic on a different thread but this one seems more fitting.
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Rep:931
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtone View Post
I usually wash my truck by hand at home but in the winter I take it through the automatic car wash. I towel dry it immediately after. I use Maguire's spray on wax every other time and my paint seems to be holding up nicely. That stuff really makes her shine! I know I already posted this pic on a different thread but this one seems more fitting.
That's great, almost looks like the truck is chromed with how shiny it is. Very impressive.

Now if only you can figure out how to make it last

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 06-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2019 1500 4x4 Shorty
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Billet Silver
Rep:32
Neurobit is on a distinguished road

Same here. Two bucket system. Until my RAM, we had two large SUVs in our household. Swore that I'd never get a black vehicle again... :O

The key is not letting the truck get so dirty that when it comes time to wash it you are doing most of the damage. Maintenance is key, also, sealing the paint and waxing helps with cleaning, as it's slicker and stuff doesn't adhere as easily.

My method is to wash with 2-bucket method, then paint decontamination if needed (clay bar), paint correction (must after using clay bar.), seal with Meguiar's M21 2-3 times/year, and wax every 4-6 weeks with a quality carnauba wax.

Note that decontamination is only needed if you park under a sappy tree, you bought a new car and has rail dust, or your paint feels very rough, otherwise don't clay for the sake of it, as it is an abbrasive, no matter how much lubrication you employ.

Regarding wax, stay away from the cheap stuff. You can get very decent results from Meguiar's or Collinite for about 20-25 bucks. I use Pinnacle Souveran, a little pricier but it saves time as it does not require hazing and it will not stain trim. Buffing it off is stupid easy vs the cheaper stuff. A can will last a long, long time.

As long as you maintain the paint, and don't dry wipe (love marks), your paint should stay pretty pristine for a long time.

Cheers,
Neurobit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement