5.7 engine to 3.6 engine - Page 5 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.6 Liter Pentastar V6

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.6 Liter Pentastar V6 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 3.6-liter V6 engine - 305 horsepower, 265 lb-ft of torque.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:931
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
And always think about- the hemi and the V6 are almost similar with mpg. the 1 or 2 more mpg don't rip it out of the ball park. The only area you save money is on purchase- but you will loose more, when you want to sell it. There are too many Hemi's out there for the same price or cheaper in every price, miles or age range. Ain't worth it.
Its really more like 3-5 mpg better with the V6 though. I have both in my fleet at work

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
McCain73 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
Its really more like 3-5 mpg better with the V6 though. I have both in my fleet at work
Agree with TH. We have both in the family. Mine and my dad. Identical except the engine and diff. He is 3.21 Hemi and I am 3.55 V6.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 HFE
Trim Level: SLT / HFE
Color: White w/ brown&beige interior
Rep:21
Hemi HFE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
And always think about- the hemi and the V6 are almost similar with mpg. the 1 or 2 more mpg don't rip it out of the ball park.
of course it depends on many things, but equal truck to equal truck, I think it's more like 2-4 mpg...

Example:
I've had *many* tankfuls of over 30 mpg (hand calculated);
I challenge ANY hemi owner to show off a tankful over 28 mpg ...

Old 05-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 HFE
Trim Level: SLT / HFE
Color: White w/ brown&beige interior
Rep:21
Hemi HFE is on a distinguished road

I was fortunate to do back-to-back 800 mile road trips on two identical trucks, the ONLY (significant) difference being the engine -
same tires, FDR, 2WD, RC/SB, both 8-spd..

here's my comments (from 2014)-
Comparing the Hemi vs. V6 (empty truck, no payload):
1. moderate hills the hemi can hold 8th (sometimes even stay in ECO) where the V6 may shift down 1 (and is out of ECO)
2. the hemi in ECO seems to 'make up' more fuel on the downhill than the V6 does in ECO
3. the V6 is seamless going in/out of ECO whereas the hemi has a vibration, and then some funny sounds/vibes at certain RPMs (V4 chortling?)
4. if you put your foot in it, both engines will suck the gas down fast
5. if I had never drove a hemi, I would think the V6 was VERY powerful.
6. the hemi has WAY more power than necessary in this light 2WD truck, unless you planned to use it for towing or smoking the tread off the rear tires
7. the V6 is quieter and smoother, and more responsive to throttle input.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC 6.4' 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Caucasian
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:93
guy65 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi HFE View Post
of course it depends on many things, but equal truck to equal truck, I think it's more like 2-4 mpg...

Example:
I've had *many* tankfuls of over 30 mpg (hand calculated);
I challenge ANY hemi owner to show off a tankful over 28 mpg ...

LOL- downhill in neutral from the Himalayans maybe- I get a hand calculated solid 20mpg with my Hemi 4wd CC LB when I use cruise control at 65mph- per display it shows 22-23mpg. 28? that's what my wife gets with her V6 Charger.
I believe in real life driving and no long distance, the difference of both engines fuel consumption wise would not make me want to have the V6, as there are also other things, why I prefer the V8, one - and the most reasonable reason is: I simply want it. V6 in a Truck- for me a no. I believe, people can get happy with the V6, but at the end, everyone with a truck will reach the point, where he wants to do "truck stuff" with it- and then you're at the point: you can't because you don't have. And no laremy or limited edition will help you with that.
Advertisement