Do you Use Foam Wash Guns/washes? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 08-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Black Group
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
WUG is on a distinguished road
Default Do you Use Foam Wash Guns/washes?

Does anyone use one? Do they eliminate the need to scrub your vehicle? Just rinse away the foam?

Also is it just as good to lube your Clay bar area with detailer instead of buying expensive ClayLube? What is the most economical, yet safest method of lubing for claying? Something that won't remove sealant or wax... thx

DeeZee Tailgate Assist, 20% Front Window Tint, Undercover Flex, U-Guard MAXDura Floor Liners, Mopar Black Aluminum Side Steps

Last edited by WUG; 08-17-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Some people use regular water with a good quality soap. I still use the regular lube but I switched to a Nano towel. I think they do just as good a job and they are easier to use and last longer. Have not tried a detailer as a lube.
Jay
Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:372
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

I've used detail spray as a clay lube- seemed to work perfectly. I think the act of clay baring your paint will in fact remove all wax and sealants- Isn't that the point? To get your paint ready for polish, sealant, wax etc?? I could be wrong.

I've used a foam gun and foam cannon-Sure fun to play with but save your money if you are hoping it will eliminate the need to scrub.
After a good cannon blast with quality soap and a good soak on a not too dirty truck you'll rinse it all down and think you just got a "touchless wash"- Nope- all your drying towels will be covered in grime.
To get it clean- you gotta use a quality mitt and make actual contact with your truck.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:45 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Black Group
Color: Brilliant Black
WUG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
I've used detail spray as a clay lube- seemed to work perfectly. I think the act of clay baring your paint will in fact remove all wax and sealants- Isn't that the point? To get your paint ready for polish, sealant, wax etc?? I could be wrong.

I've used a foam gun and foam cannon-Sure fun to play with but save your money if you are hoping it will eliminate the need to scrub.
After a good cannon blast with quality soap and a good soak on a not too dirty truck you'll rinse it all down and think you just got a "touchless wash"- Nope- all your drying towels will be covered in grime.
To get it clean- you gotta use a quality mitt and make actual contact with your truck.
lol That was my understanding as well Spoiler, but I have seen several adds for several products all stating the clay bar/lube won't remove sealant or wax...HUH? Then again I though using a clay bar to remove bug guts or bird crap seemed a little over kill yet I have seen several videos of people doing just that.

Thanks for the tip on the foam gun, going to pass on that

DeeZee Tailgate Assist, 20% Front Window Tint, Undercover Flex, U-Guard MAXDura Floor Liners, Mopar Black Aluminum Side Steps
Old 03-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2017 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport
Color: Diesel Gray/Black
JUSTINKP is on a distinguished road

I use a foam gun attachment on my pressure washer with a high sud soap and it makes nice foam but I just use it to remove heavy dirt or mud. Then I scrub, rinse and rewash with another soap.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2017 Ram Express Quad Cab
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dakota Red
Rubidad is on a distinguished road

Greetings,
Silly question, by I can't reach much of my truck body by hand and arthritis doesn't help. Can anyone recommend some king of telescoping brush? I don't want anything that connects to a hose.
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 PM

Vehicle: 2017 RAM 1500
Rep:84
ChrisBigHorn17 will become famous soon enough

A genuine boars hair wash brush should help and limit wash-induced marring. AutoGeek, Amazon, etc have them along with telescoping poles.

Warning: the price is not for the faint of heart! $80-$120.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2018 1500 CCSB
Trim Level: Lone Star Silver
Color: Delmonico Red
65ffr is on a distinguished road

to remove the wax/sealer, use a soap like dishwashing soap. Car soaps typically won't remove wax. The clay bar is to remove deposits on the paint (tar, bugs, oxidation etc) and will make your paint smooth. If you're gonna wash your truck and don't plan on waxing/claying, then use car soap followed by detail spray.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:3060
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am now 74 years old ....

About 3 or more times a month, i take my truck to a coin car wash that has Pre Soak Foam
By the time that i have sprayed it completely, i use the regular car soap & water all over & then the Rinse water & a quicky spray wax

At least once a month i take the truck to a regular Car Wash that does detailing
Once every 3 months, i try to get to a body shop to get a complete wax job done with buffers & pads

My customers expect my vehicle to be clean when i show up & believe me when i say that if your vehicle is not clean, word will spread & you will have less companies calling you.
They tend to judge performance first on looks & then on your ability to do the actual job.

I just would like to find a car wash that has the under body wash, the place that had it, still washes cars but stopped using the under carriage wash
Old 03-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Rep:931
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

I know the touchless washes use a foam, but they sort of leave a "film" that is noticeable if you rub your finger on the vehicle. Do foam guns leave this also?

I will never go to a brush wash, which is why my vehicles do not have paint swirls.

Car soap usually contains wax to protect your clear coat. I usually clay my vehicles every year or two, apply sealant, and then wax twice. Protecting the clear coat is what will make your paint last, so you need to keep it waxed. Detail spray won't protect as well.

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement