Do you Use Foam Wash Guns/washes? - Page 2 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2017 Laramie
Rep:52
KnurledNut will become famous soon enough

I use a Gilmour Foamaster II. I bought this foam sprayer based on a friend's recommendation that works at a big warehouse in the butcher shop. They use this sprayer for specialized foam in cleaning down machines used for raw beef, chicken, pork, and the like.

I am more than impressed. I bought some good quality chemical guys soap, fill the sprayer half-way with soap and fired her up! I use the "D" setting and get huge amount of foam all over the truck...top...bottom...and wheels. Then I scrub-a-dub-dub with a 10" quad brush.

The bottle unhooks from the sprayer with no effort. Then we rinse. BAM! We're done and enjoying an adult beverage.

Big truck done in an hour. Used to take me 2+ hours with buckets.

Hellwig Sway Bar, Moog SBL’s, Carven Exhaust, AEM Filter, Lamphus Horn, DRL’s, Grille LED’s, Yellow Fog’s w/ Lamin-X Covers, 15” Antenna, Tyger Tonneau, EGR Visors, Debadged, Tint, AMP Cargo Extender, TS Stall Mat, Husky Guards & Mats, Bayou Goat Mount, Anker Dash Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2017 RAM 1500
Rep:84
ChrisBigHorn17 will become famous soon enough

I, too, use the Gilmour Foammaster. They have a few different versions of it, I think...I got the one that has 4 or 5 different foam levels. You probably cant go wrong with any of the models.

The process I use for all of my vehicles is to hit them with an electric pressure washer and the most gentle nozzle available (aside from the soaping nozzle).

My pressure washer also has a soap dispenser built in...I fill it with some cheap wash soap (currently have some cheap Megs Gold Class) then hit the vehicle with the soap nozzle. This gets some foam onto the dirt to loosen it.

Next step is to ready the hose-end foam gun, where Ill use Chem Guys Honeydew Snow Foam as the wash.

Then I will "prime" my microfiber wash mitt with some foam and go panel to panel, spraying the panel down with foam then I keep spraying foam between the mitt and the panel as best I can. Seems like a lot of foam to use, and it is, but with a black vehicle in my arsenal, Id rather err on the side of too much lubrication than too little.

After each panel (or half panel, depending on how dirty the vehicle is) I will "scrape off" my mitt onto a grit guard in my rinse water bucket. The rinse water bucket will be emptied and refilled during the wash process depending on how dirty the vehicle is. I will also flip to another side of the wash mitt after a section, or change the wash mitt altogether depending on how dirty the vehicle is.

Once Ive done all panels on a side (or hood/bumper, or trunk/tailgate/bumper) I will rinse that section off. All of my vehicles are OptiCoat-ed so water slides off pretty easily. I could almost get to a point of not needing to dry at all if I pull off the hose end sprayer and set the hose to a trickle.....the water essentially "pulls itself off" the panel, leaving little to no droplets behind.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2019 1500 4x4 Shorty
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Billet Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:32
Neurobit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUG View Post
Does anyone use one? Do they eliminate the need to scrub your vehicle? Just rinse away the foam?

Also is it just as good to lube your Clay bar area with detailer instead of buying expensive ClayLube? What is the most economical, yet safest method of lubing for claying? Something that won't remove sealant or wax... thx
Foam guns/cannons are generally used when the vehicle is pretty dirty, to loosen up and have as much dirt roll off the vehicle as possible, before doing the regular wash. Does it work? Not sure. I have one that I use anytime we have a week's worth of rain and muck and the car/truck gets very dirty. Otherwise, I do a reg 2-bucket wash.

Does it replace the need to scrub your vehicle. Nope. You still have to do this.

Regarding clay. You should only do this if needed, as the clay is still an abrasive and you should only use IF you will follow up with paint correction (polish).

If your paint feels rough when you are washing the vehicle, it may have some sap or rail dust (if the vehicle is new). I had to do this on my almost two week old RAM. Noticed the hood being very rough when drying after washing, so I clayed it.

Before claying I would wipe with 50/50 water / isopropyl alcohol, to remove wax and have a clean surface for the claying. You can seal and/or wax after you're done. Def worth the extra steps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement