Overheating - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 08-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500 4.7 liter
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
Theplumber281 is on a distinguished road
Default Overheating

I have a 2013 ram 1500 4.7 flex fuel truck. I've changed the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator, and fan clutch. Filled with coolant and distilled water bled air all the way out. And my truck over heats after driving short distances with the Ac on. It goes up to 250 most times and that chime noise starts in the truck. I've taken it to a dodge dealer and they couldn't figure out why it was still overheating as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman Reg. Cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Tidefan15 is on a distinguished road

I also have a 2013 1500 with the 4.7 and sudden overheating issues. I posted this in another section and probably should have posted here instead. I bought my truck new and never had a problem with it running hot or warm. Driving home from work yesterday evening it overheated all at once about 2 miles from home. It's about a 30 mile drive. I pulled over when the warning went off. It got hot enough to puke out coolant so I shut it off and let it set for a few minutes. I drove another 1/2 mile or so and pulled over again and killed it. It was puking out more coolant. It was 256 to 258 degrees. I let it set until it cooled down to 220 degrees. I hauled ass the final mile and made it home. Have any of you had this happen? As I said, it has never gave any problems and did it all at once. I haven't had any coolant leaks either. I could guess a thermostat, clogged radiator (had that happen before), but I don't know. Just paid the damn thing off last month. I'm looking at changing the thermostat for one thing and topping off the coolant. I may need to flush it too. Any thoughts from any of you?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC 6.4' 4x4
Color: Caucasian
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:100
guy65 will become famous soon enoughguy65 will become famous soon enough

Check the fan clutch. The fan clutch has a expansion module included, which makes variable fan speed possible. if this does not work, your fan is turning- but that's all. it does not blow.
If it's hot and your fan is not blowing, then this is very likely it.
If everything is ok, you might check, if the head gaskets are ok.
To make sure, take the thermostat out and drive it without thermostat (assuming, you did everything correct replacing everything). Drive- when it does it again, I would guess, one of the head gaskets. If the head gaskets are blown, hot exhaust gas gets into the water channel and gives the water the possibility to cook, because it has a air-pocket. the hot steam is actually hotter than cooking water and if it gets to the temperature sensor, it shows you actually the steam temperature and not the water temperature. the water it self can in the be for example below cooking temps, but around the cylinders and head, it's above. And when it starts cooking, the steam expands and gets pressured through hour cooling channels- when you open the lid, that's where it cooks over then, because it can't go nowhere else.
That's the easiest way, when you don't have a tester, which tests the co in the water.
The 4.7 is a very good engine- had it too. The only weak point is heat. once overheated, the likelihood of defective head gaskets due to deforming heads is huge.
if your head gasket is out- don't waste your time by only making one- or the one which is done- do both. and let someone machine the heads before you put them back on.
When you change the thermostat- always take one which opens little earlier- the engine runs cooler- might use little more gas, but it's more on the safe side.

Tried to explain it so untechnical as possible. so don't beat me and think I don't know nothing about it ;-)

Oh... forgot: GO TIGERS!

Last edited by guy65; 01-08-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 PM

So is there another brand of coolant I can use besides the Mopar brand? The manual says to use Mopar OAT coolant. I found some Zerex G-05 which is an HOAT coolant at Autozone, but it states it's good for Chrysler up to 2012. I don't mind buying the Mopar brand but I'll have to drive 50 miles to the nearest dealership to get it. I'm going to change the thermostat and flush the system. I'm also going to take the top hose loose from the water pump and run my digital scope camera in the pump and look at the impeller. I hope it's something as simple as a thermostat but not getting my hopes up. I'm usually not that lucky. Whatever it is, it happened all at once and while I was driving down the highway, not sitting still at idle.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:53 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC 6.4' 4x4
Color: Caucasian
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:100
guy65 will become famous soon enoughguy65 will become famous soon enough

You can use other brands or off brands- only has to meet Chrysler specifications- and it's the red one or the purple one. The green is for the old vehicles and the red they filled in the new ones- you can't mix both. The purple one is for both- the ones who get the green coolant and the ones getting the red. There are specifications for that.

I doubt you see the inside of your pump with an endoscope and at the same time be able to see, if the impeller is loose on the shaft.
If you think, there could be something with the pump, take it out- not that much of a job and has easy access.
did you check the fan clutch?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 PM

On the coolant subject, I know the green is for older cars. I also know there is OAT and the newer HOAT. My manual says to use OAT but then I also read that beginning in 2013, they switched to HOAT. The coolant in mine is orange. It's my understanding the HOAT is purple. I'm going to flush the system so there's no danger of mixing the two. I have read of people using Peak Global Lifetime in place of the Mopar OAT but nobody around here has it. The Zerex G-05 is an HOAT coolant. Oh for the good old days of just choosing which brand to buy.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:3060
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Use the OAT Coolant, FCA made the change to OAT a few years ago

Do Not mix HOAT with OAT, it will plug up the whole cooling system

FCA came out with Technical Service Bulletin that states that only OAT should be used, except in a few vehicles

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0700412a.pdf

some brands of coolant use different coloring, so if it is not MOPAR coolant, it may be a different color then is shown in the bulletin

Last edited by GTyankee; 01-10-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 PM

Yeah, I got it backwards. I know the OAT is the latest. Should have checked myself before actually posting. I guess that's why the Zerex G-05 cuts off Chrysler compatibility at 2012. I know not to mix it.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 PM

Well I went to closest Chrysler dealership today and bought the Mopar coolant. $20 for 50/50 and $25 for the concentrate. Hopefully I can find the problem tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:56 PM

So I drained my cooling system Saturday and pulled the thermostat. The coolant was pretty clean and didn't have any trash or particles in it. Thermostat looked good, and warmed it with a little bottle propane torch and it opened up and then closed when it cooled off. So, I went ahead and put the new one in it along with a new housing. Since I had also bought a new water pump, I pulled the old one out. Nothing wrong with it either. I went ahead and installed the new one. I didn't replace the clutch. The original overheating issue happened while cruising down the road, not sitting at idle and I can't tell any difference in how it turns now and before. So went ahead and did a flush with some Prestone flush and distilled water. I drained and ran distilled water through it 3 times. I drained it by the lower radiator hose because the drain plug just would do much. I got 5 quarts out of it the first drain and only a gallon the next two times. Most of it came out of the block through the lower hose. Didn't get that much out of the radiator. It's been in the 40's all weekend so when I would fill it back up I would have to drive it down the road to get it warm enough for the thermostat to open. Didn't have any issues. Today, I poured the Mopar coolant in it. This evening I drove it to town and back, about 24 miles round trip. On the way home it started warming up. 210, 212, 215, and by the time I was nearly home it was 222 degrees and I shut it off. After letting it cool off, I removed the radiator cap and started it up and let it run for 30 minutes. I got a few air bubbles out but the temp never got over 199 and stayed at 197 mostly. Could it still have air in it or do I have a clogged radiator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement