2019 Rebel Duratrac tire coming apart - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > 2019 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2019 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2019 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2019 Ram Rebel
Trim Level: Rebel
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Dj91 is on a distinguished road
Default 2019 Rebel Duratrac tire coming apart

I have a 2019 Rebel I bought last July. It has 7,600 miles. I take care of my vehicles and don't abuse them. I had my Rebel detailed the other day and my detailer pointed out my front left tire. Three wires poked through the tire on the sidewall almost at the top. I have the lifetime warranty and also understand that doesn't cover brakes, tires, bulbs. Since my truck is under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty I took it to them. The service tech looked at it, went and got his manager and together they said this is a Goodyear issue and not FCA. I have a very close friend who works for FCA and was told to take it to the dealer in the 1st place as the dealer is a certified Goodyear tire dealer. So the dealer sends me to the Goodyear tire store. Huge Goodyear sign in front, Goodyear flags blowing in the wind all over the place. Inside Goodyear advertising every where. Wait in line about 15 minutes only to be told, a yeah, we are not a Goodyear retailer any longer. WTF! You have signs posted everywhere advertising Goodyear tires. Ah, yeah, we haven't had time to take everything down yet. But yet your shirts all are blue/gold with the Goodyear tire logo? Oh wait, you use the same shirts but have put a different name on them. Nice! So this idiot sends me to the closest Goodyear dealer. I show up and walk in. Everyone was nice and friendly and.... they sell commercial tires for semi's, school busses, trash trucks etc. They don't sell LT tires. The gentleman I spoke with asked me what my problem was. I showed him my tire and he said he's been in the business for 35 yrs and never seen anything like it. He immediately reached out to his Goodyear rep who didn't answer the phone. I was given the customer service number for Goodyear. Fair enough and thanked him for at least doing that.

I call Goodyear and they take all my info and give me a claim number to boot. The Goodyear rep says he had never heard of what I was talking about. he tells me the dealer is a certified Goodyear tire dealer and they should have warrantied the tire themselves. He says that won't go well for the dealer (yeah, ok). He puts me on hold and comes back and sends me to a local Discount Tire center. I show up, speak the person I was referenced and show him my tire. He looks at the tread wear, the sidewalls (the nipples when the tire was new are still attached) then check the other tires and says.... drumroll... I've never seen this before... really? He was very nice and cordial. We go back in the store, he calls Goodyear and speaks to the rep who assisted me and tells him, the tires are all in great shape, no sidewall damage, scuffing etc. Good year warrantied the tire for free and asked for them to ship it to them.

Discount tire said I would have to pay for the removal and replacement with the new tire for $20. I'm all good with that. They then offer me a service plan for all 4 tires including rotating, balancing etc for life of the tires. After what I just went through, sign me up. Here's another kicker. They order my tire and I schedule an appointment for when it comes in to get the tire swapped out. The tire came in early and that same day I went to have it exchanged. get to the store and oops, they sent them an all black tire instead of the white letters on the OEM ones. They try to find the white letter tires and can't. It's late and Goodyear customer service has gone for the day, their Discount tire supply has gone for the day. I'm moving out of state and don't have to time to wait. They asked if I wanted to turn the other 3 tires around and make them all black wall. They offered to do it for free including balancing and rotating them. This whole ordeal took me just over 6 hours from start to finish.

I called the dealer back and said they were checking with their manager and would get back to me. It's been 2 days and I still haven't heard back. Funny thing is, when I purchased my truck and was in financing they said to take my truck elsewhere for service as their department was horrible. I never use this dealer but they were the 1st dealer in my area to have the 2019 in stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3961.jpg (79.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3962.jpg (89.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Dj91; 05-16-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:3053
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am not in the tire business & i have seen several tires like that
That is a what happens when your driving on a highway & somebody had dropped something on the road.

Typical Road Hazard around San Diego County & that is why no one wanted to touch it

I buy all my tires at Discount Tire & i pay extra for the Road Hazard warranty

Last year i was back in Connecticut, there are no Discount Tire stores there
Someone pointed out that i had a slightly low tire & the Firestone Tire store tech spotted a bulge on the inside of that tire.

I called my Brother in Law & he asked if i could drive to a friends tire store, i did & the tire had a 8" nail in it.
I needed another tire & all the other Michelin tires had maybe 10,000 miles on them
I ended up having to buy a new Perelli tire with the same tread type, because they didn't have my particular Michelin tire in stock & i needed to get back to San Diego ASAP.

When i returned to San Diego, i went to my local Discount Tire
I showed them the tire with the bulge & nail & they mounted a brand new Michelin tire on the rim with the Perelli tire on it & paid me the full price of the Perelli, including taxes.
I then paid for the road hazard warranty on the new Michelin & i was happy & went home to unpack my clothes
Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC 6.4' 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Caucasian
Rep:93
guy65 will become famous soon enough

GT-how much does the warranty cost, when I may ask?

Old 05-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2019 Ram Rebel
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:10
Dj91 is on a distinguished road

GT: For the life of me I can remember running over anything on the freeway or any other road?

Guy65: Discount Tire charged me $146.00 total.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 2019 1500 Rebel Crew
Color: White
Rep:17
david55838 is on a distinguished road

What a story! Thanks for sharing. Not sure if there's a moral there, other than let's pass the f'in buck! Can't imagine your frustration.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC 6.4' 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Caucasian
Rep:93
guy65 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj91 View Post
GT: For the life of me I can remember running over anything on the freeway or any other road?

Guy65: Discount Tire charged me $146.00 total.

Thanks- is this just for this set of tires or for life? if just for this set- a new tire is cheaper.

And I've seen a lot of tire damages in my life. I can tell you- I agree with GT- you probably ran over something sharp- you don't even have to notice it. this looks clearly like a cut for me. If the tire would be bad, the wires would not come out this way- that is heavy duty steel and does not break by it self. you can be lucky, that they pay for it. I would not had.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 2017 CC 4X4 EcoDiesel
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:42
Wallamatogus is on a distinguished road

You might have hardly felt hitting the object that did the damage. I believe the Duratracs are very highly rated tires. I bought a Tacoma years ago, all of the Firestone Wilderness tires failed before 20,000 miles. Toyota said go to Firestone, Firestone just laughed at me. If I'd bought a Ford Explorer with the same tires, Ford actually warranted them.
2017 Bighorn, CC 4X4, Black, Eco Diesel, 3:92's GDE Hot Tune. 2008 Arctic Cat Turbo Diesel ATV. Living the Diesel Life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement