Correct PSI for BFG KO2 at 285/65R20??? - Page 2 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 04-12-2019, 06:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2017 Ram 1500 CC SB 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
406shark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparian View Post
I finally pulled the trigger on the Bilstein 5100's to level my 1500. Upgraded the rear shocks to Bils as well. Fronts are set at 2.1. Next was tires.... I went with BFG KO2's in 285/65R20...no rub at full lock, so I was ecstatic! Until I drove it home and found a terrible vibration once I got up to 65-70mph.
I had the front end aligned when I got the Bils on Wednesday, drove home...no issues. Got the tires mounted and balanced Thursday, drove home and BAM! The vibration wasn't there at first, but began after about 15 minutes of driving 70mph, slowing down to 30mph thru a small town, and then when I accelerated back to 70 is when it started.

I've got an appt. to get the balance checked again next Monday afternoon. They (Discount Tire - Brenham, Tx.) said that if that didn't work, they could rotate the tire 180 degrees on the wheel (inside to out) to see if that fixed the vibration.
They put 40 psi in all four tires, so I was online trying to self-diagnose, but that seems to be the general concensus as far as air pressure is concerned. Anyone else have this issue? Any solutions? I love the look of the tire, but if I can't get rid of the vibration, I'm going to have to try changing tires.

There are a lot of "tire techs" that don't really know the correct way to balance a tire and wheel package.

You need to find someone that knows what they are doing, and is willing to take the time to do it correctly.

Every tire and wheel has a heavy spot as well as a light spot. The idea is to match them up to get the tire/wheel as close as possible to balance BEFORE doing the actual balancing. It can, and typically will take multiple attempts at mounting the tire and wheel together.

Before starting they should spin the wheels, without weights, on the machine to verify true and make sure you don't have a bent wheel. Most every tire comes with different color dots on the sidewall that show the spot that should match the valve stem, or the light spot of the tire. Different manufacturers use different colors for different things. Check with BFG to see which color they recommend to match to what on the wheel.

Oh... and if they throw a weight on a wheel and spin it again and come up off, don't let them slide if they just tack on another weight somewhere away from the first weight. All that is doing is adding extra weight. If they are within about 0.25 ounce away they should be able to shift the installed weight a little one way or the other to bring it in line.

Sorry this is so long, but it's a lot more involved doing it right than just throwing them on a machine and hammering on a weight.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2017 Ram 1500 Express Quadcab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Moparian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406shark View Post
There are a lot of "tire techs" that don't really know the correct way to balance a tire and wheel package.

You need to find someone that knows what they are doing, and is willing to take the time to do it correctly.

Every tire and wheel has a heavy spot as well as a light spot. The idea is to match them up to get the tire/wheel as close as possible to balance BEFORE doing the actual balancing. It can, and typically will take multiple attempts at mounting the tire and wheel together.

Before starting they should spin the wheels, without weights, on the machine to verify true and make sure you don't have a bent wheel. Most every tire comes with different color dots on the sidewall that show the spot that should match the valve stem, or the light spot of the tire. Different manufacturers use different colors for different things. Check with BFG to see which color they recommend to match to what on the wheel.

Oh... and if they throw a weight on a wheel and spin it again and come up off, don't let them slide if they just tack on another weight somewhere away from the first weight. All that is doing is adding extra weight. If they are within about 0.25 ounce away they should be able to shift the installed weight a little one way or the other to bring it in line.

Sorry this is so long, but it's a lot more involved doing it right than just throwing them on a machine and hammering on a weight.

Jeff
Thanks for the info Jeff, I did not realize that the tire is supposed to be mounted in a specific location on the rim! I will try to get some info from BFG! Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 4X4 Sport CC
Trim Level: Sport
Juicedgsr95 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the info Jeff, I did not realize that the tire is supposed to be mounted in a specific location on the rim! I will try to get some info from BFG! Thanks again.

I had KO2's on a different vehicle that were new and had a vibration from 70 - 74 mph. After about an hour of trying to balance it on a road force machine they gave in that it was a bad tire. Installed a new tire and balanced. Never had another vibration.

I've got KO2's on my 16 now with no issues.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:

No problem at all. I hope it works out for you.

I'm running the 305/55-20 KO2's on my Ram... no vibration.

Good luck!

Jeff
Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406shark View Post
No problem at all. I hope it works out for you.

I'm running the 305/55-20 KO2's on my Ram... no vibration.

Good luck!

Jeff
Well, I went into DT yesterday, and as you suggested, they had mounted the front right improperly on the wheel. They used the road force machine to re-balance all four after that.

It's better, but there is still a vibration at higher speeds. It's not so much in the steering wheel however, as it is in the 60/40 seat and center console, and it tends to come and go on it's own, if that makes any sense!?!?!

I left my last Ram stock, as far as suspension and tires were concerned, doing mostly engine, exhaust and exterior mods. This is my first 4WD, my first level and by far the most aggressive wheels that I've ever run. I'm starting to wonder if this vibration isn't just "par for the course" with this type of setup....just something that to this point, I have never experienced?
Like I said, the steering wheel has very little vibration, it's more in the seat. Should I expect "some" vibration as normal for the setup that I'm running? You say that you have none though.

Thanks for any input!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

one other thing....the vibration seemed to be much more noticeable on my way home last night than it did this morning. When I left DT last night, I noticed that they had my pressure varying between 40-42. After the cool overnight air, it was down to 37-38.
I wonder if maybe the higher pressures are causing the vibration....?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Black as your heart
Rep:174
NevadaMike has a spectacular aura aboutNevadaMike has a spectacular aura about

I ran mine at 45 psi the until they where completely worn out. They wore evenly and never had issues with them. I had the tire shop put in nitrogen so I never once had to top them off due to air loss.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Well, I went into DT yesterday, and as you suggested, they had mounted the front right improperly on the wheel. They used the road force machine to re-balance all four after that.

It's better, but there is still a vibration at higher speeds. It's not so much in the steering wheel however, as it is in the 60/40 seat and center console, and it tends to come and go on it's own, if that makes any sense!?!?!

I left my last Ram stock, as far as suspension and tires were concerned, doing mostly engine, exhaust and exterior mods. This is my first 4WD, my first level and by far the most aggressive wheels that I've ever run. I'm starting to wonder if this vibration isn't just "par for the course" with this type of setup....just something that to this point, I have never experienced?
Like I said, the steering wheel has very little vibration, it's more in the seat. Should I expect "some" vibration as normal for the setup that I'm running? You say that you have none though.

Thanks for any input!

If you're feeling the vibration in the seat... it's coming from the rear tires, or driveshaft/u-joint. Vibration in the steering wheel... it's coming from the front. You probably felt so much from the steering wheel that you didn't notice the seat vibration?

Does it come on at a specific road speed or engine rpm? If it's at freeway speeds see if you can get it to vibrate, then manually shift into 7th gear and maintain the same speed. Does it still vibrate? That will tell you if it is tire related, or drivetrain related real quick.

Quote:
one other

thing....the vibration seemed to be much more noticeable on my way home last night than it did this morning. When I left DT last night, I noticed that they had my pressure varying between 40-42. After the cool overnight air, it was down to 37-38.
I wonder if maybe the higher pressures are causing the vibration....?

I run mine at 42-43 psi cold. After about 5 miles on the freeway mine stabilizes at 45 psi.

I'll send you a pm with my cell number if you want to call and talk about it... much easier than typing. lol

Sorry... the site won't let me send a pm until I have 50 posts or more.

Jeff

Last edited by 406shark; 04-16-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: additional note
Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

[QUOTE=406shark;

I'll send you a pm with my cell number if you want to call and talk about it... much easier than typing. lol

Sorry... the site won't let me send a pm until I have 50 posts or more.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jeff, I understand and am in the same boat when it comes to being able to send PM's.
BUT.....the good news is that I went back in last night, and had their "best tire balancer" who also happened to be an asst. mgr. also, go for a ride with me. He felt the vibration, knew it was in the back tires and was able to correct the problem, by re-adjusting the weight on the drivers side rear.

Thanks again for your input, it was very helpful and informative.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Thanks Jeff, I understand and am in the same boat when it comes to being able to send PM's.
BUT.....the good news is that I went back in last night, and had their "best tire balancer" who also happened to be an asst. mgr. also, go for a ride with me. He felt the vibration, knew it was in the back tires and was able to correct the problem, by re-adjusting the weight on the drivers side rear.

Thanks again for your input, it was very helpful and informative.

No problem at all... glad I could help.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement