2014 Laramie 4wd Vapor Canister replacement - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum


Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!


Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 PM
justone20 justone20 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
justone20 is on a distinguished road
Default 2014 Laramie 4wd Vapor Canister replacement

Hello! So new here, sorry if been asked... I have a 14 crew 32 gal Laramie. Got the Evap leak codes, replaced gas cap and purge solenoid and still nothing. I don’t see any visible signs of bad hoses neither so that leads me to the Vapor Canister. I found it on top of the tank in a place not easy to get to. Do you guys know what’s the easiest way to replace it? I find videos for previous years but nothing for 14 and up... do you really have to lower the tank to get to it?? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-16-2019, 12:22 AM
GTyankee's Avatar
GTyankee GTyankee is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego East County, Ca
Posts: 31,712
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep Power: 31
Rep:3040
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

What were the codes that you got ?
It would be a shame to just throw parts at it, hoping to find the leak

Canisters usually go bad if someone keeps filling the gas tank to the point that is actually over filling & gasoline enters the vent tube on the Fuel Filler Tube.
Normally the excess gas would go into that vent tube & just go right into the gas tank, but with the gas tank being full, the gas that goes into the vent tube goes into the roll over valve & out the opposite side & then passes directly into the Vapor Canister where it comes into contact with the charcoal, causing the charcoal to break down. Once the charcoal breaks down, the canister needs to be either replaced or the charcoal some how removed & new charcoal inserted into the canister.
__________________
2016 Ram 3.0 diesel 3.55 w/LSD, G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover, Nfab bars, CB radio, EGR bug deflector
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 PM
justone20 justone20 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
justone20 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
What were the codes that you got ?
It would be a shame to just throw parts at it, hoping to find the leak

Canisters usually go bad if someone keeps filling the gas tank to the point that is actually over filling & gasoline enters the vent tube on the Fuel Filler Tube.
Normally the excess gas would go into that vent tube & just go right into the gas tank, but with the gas tank being full, the gas that goes into the vent tube goes into the roll over valve & out the opposite side & then passes directly into the Vapor Canister where it comes into contact with the charcoal, causing the charcoal to break down. Once the charcoal breaks down, the canister needs to be either replaced or the charcoal some how removed & new charcoal inserted into the canister.
I got 3 codes that keeps popping up, p0456, p0457, and p0441... now that you said that, i do remember overflowing a couple of times. Once I did (my fault) the other, the pump didn’t stop on it’s own... dang it!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:30 PM
GTyankee's Avatar
GTyankee GTyankee is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego East County, Ca
Posts: 31,712
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep Power: 31
Rep:3040
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Dodge Ram P0456: EVAP System – Small Leak. ... P0456 Indicates that there is a small leak in the evaporative emission control system. It often appears with, or is related other codes, such as P0420, P0441, and very often P0440.

While the trouble code may state that there is a “small leak” in the EVAP system of your Dodge Ram, it is actually referring to the amount of pressure lost, and not the physical size of the leak

The mechanic will typically check to see if there are any other trouble codes. The more trouble codes there are, the easier it can be to diagnose a problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.

p0456 could be any of these, beginning at most likely down to last likely

Evap System Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. Tear or crack in the hose

Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0456 code

Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad

Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. ( Clean area that the cap goes onto & use light coat of vasoline ), if you replace the cap, it is best to use the Mopar cap

Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. This gasket can dry out, especially with vehicles that spend their time in dry climates. ( i believe that it should read hose clamp, not gasket )
__________________
2016 Ram 3.0 diesel 3.55 w/LSD, G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover, Nfab bars, CB radio, EGR bug deflector
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 PM
GTyankee's Avatar
GTyankee GTyankee is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego East County, Ca
Posts: 31,712
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep Power: 31
Rep:3040
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Watch this video where he climbs under the Ram & looks at the ESIM Switch wires
It is at the 7 minute 45 second point of the video

ESIM = Evaporative System Integrity Module

__________________
2016 Ram 3.0 diesel 3.55 w/LSD, G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover, Nfab bars, CB radio, EGR bug deflector
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 PM
justone20 justone20 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
justone20 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Dodge Ram P0456: EVAP System – Small Leak. ... P0456 Indicates that there is a small leak in the evaporative emission control system. It often appears with, or is related other codes, such as P0420, P0441, and very often P0440.

While the trouble code may state that there is a “small leak” in the EVAP system of your Dodge Ram, it is actually referring to the amount of pressure lost, and not the physical size of the leak

The mechanic will typically check to see if there are any other trouble codes. The more trouble codes there are, the easier it can be to diagnose a problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.

p0456 could be any of these, beginning at most likely down to last likely

Evap System Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. Tear or crack in the hose

Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0456 code

Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad

Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. ( Clean area that the cap goes onto & use light coat of vasoline ), if you replace the cap, it is best to use the Mopar cap

Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. This gasket can dry out, especially with vehicles that spend their time in dry climates. ( i believe that it should read hose clamp, not gasket )
Thank you...I replace the gas cap and purge valve and no change... inspected the hoses and didn’t see any obvious crack, but I can try to do a second look just to make sure.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 PM
GTyankee's Avatar
GTyankee GTyankee is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego East County, Ca
Posts: 31,712
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep Power: 31
Rep:3040
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Dodge Ram P0457

Evap System Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. This will cause the P0457 code

Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Fuel Cap–

Fuel Filler Neck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dodge Ram P0441: EVAP System – Incorrect Purge Flow


EVAP Canister Purge Valve
– The most common issue that causes the P0441 trouble code in your Dodge Ram is going to be the vapor canister purge valve. When it goes bad, it typically causes issues with the vehicle’s idle speed. This is especially true right after you fuel up.

Faulty Purge Control Solenoid– There is a solenoid that controls the operation of the Purge Valve. When it fails, the purge valve will no longer be able to operate properly. When this happens P0441 will almost always throw.

Bad Vacuum Line– If the vacuum line going to the purge canister has failed, that’ll cause the P0441 code to show up for sure

Gas Cap– The gas cap going bad can cause P0441. This is due to the fuel tank not having the right amount of pressure with a bad cap.

Wiring Issue to the Purge Solenoid– Due to the location of the purge solenoid, it is not uncommon for the wiring going to it to fail.
============================================

Now you have the most likely reasons for the 3 codes

Make yourself a list of each code & the possible reasons for failure next to each one

if the 3 codes have the same reason for failure
I would have to look at that part first

Don't forget to check those wires around the ESIM, if that module does not have close to 5 volts, the valves it controls will not function

different video, showing more about the ESIM

__________________
2016 Ram 3.0 diesel 3.55 w/LSD, G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover, Nfab bars, CB radio, EGR bug deflector

Last edited by GTyankee; 04-16-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 PM
justone20 justone20 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
justone20 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Dodge Ram P0457

Evap System Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. This will cause the P0457 code

Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Fuel Cap–

Fuel Filler Neck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dodge Ram P0441: EVAP System – Incorrect Purge Flow


EVAP Canister Purge Valve
– The most common issue that causes the P0441 trouble code in your Dodge Ram is going to be the vapor canister purge valve. When it goes bad, it typically causes issues with the vehicle’s idle speed. This is especially true right after you fuel up.

Faulty Purge Control Solenoid– There is a solenoid that controls the operation of the Purge Valve. When it fails, the purge valve will no longer be able to operate properly. When this happens P0441 will almost always throw.

Bad Vacuum Line– If the vacuum line going to the purge canister has failed, that’ll cause the P0441 code to show up for sure

Gas Cap– The gas cap going bad can cause P0441. This is due to the fuel tank not having the right amount of pressure with a bad cap.

Wiring Issue to the Purge Solenoid– Due to the location of the purge solenoid, it is not uncommon for the wiring going to it to fail.
============================================

Now you have the most likely reasons for the 3 codes

Make yourself a list of each code & the possible reasons for failure next to each one

if the 3 codes have the same reason for failure
I would have to look at that part first

Don't forget to check those wires around the ESIM, if that module does not have close to 5 volts, the valves it controls will not function

different video, showing more about the ESIM

You rock!... I am about to watch the videos and do the list... usually I am good at figuring out the issue, this one had me stuck!... at this point I am hoping for most of that but the vapor canister. Part is higher on price and not looking forward to mess with gas tank.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-17-2019, 04:58 PM
One Cheap Ram One Cheap Ram is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 163
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:19
One Cheap Ram is on a distinguished road
Default

I had my truck repaired recently for a P0441 code. In my case it was the fuel tank pressure sensor, part #4593949AB.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:10 PM
justone20 justone20 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
justone20 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Cheap Ram View Post
I had my truck repaired recently for a P0441 code. In my case it was the fuel tank pressure sensor, part #4593949AB.
Did you had any other codes or your “gas cap” warning on?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking at a used 2014 Laramie... Crusader556 Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum 4 07-13-2016 12:34 PM
I'm Back! 500 Mile Review 2014 Big Horn vs 2010 Big Horn vs 2013 F150 FX4 coolidge 2014 Dodge Ram Forum 26 04-08-2015 06:41 PM
Fold Flat Floor question lcq1 2013 Dodge Ram Forum 93 10-08-2014 03:44 PM
Newbie from IL with 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 uvacarbuff Newbie Checkin! 10 06-08-2014 06:43 PM


Advertisement



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 AM.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors