2011 ram hemi cam/lifter failure - Page 78 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
Sschoner is on a distinguished road

Just got the call from the dealer... saying it needs a new engine..can replace came and lifters for $3600 bit have metal shavings all over. $8000 for a engine installed... what have others done? Is it worth the risk to save money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 03:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 09 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
ColdCanuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sschoner View Post
Just got the call from the dealer... saying it needs a new engine..can replace came and lifters for $3600 bit have metal shavings all over. $8000 for a engine installed... what have others done? Is it worth the risk to save money?

If it's any consolation, the figures you've quoted are exponentially more painful up here, north of the 49th. Cam and lifter replacement rolls in at about $6K. Long block installed sets us back about $12K. I've opted to replace the engine cuz I have no idea (nor does the dealer) where the debris from the failed cam is residing in the engine. Some observers suggest that the material from a failed cam/lifter is no more than metallic mush and will not be an issue. However, you'll be hard pressed to find a dealer service dept or independent mechanic that will offer an assurance that said debris will not be deleterious to the engine down the road. I'll sell the beast in a year or two and swallow the loss but know that the engine is somewhat of a clean slate as opposed to a cam/lifter job that may potentially be another engine fail waiting to happen.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Snowbones is on a distinguished road

As an update to my situation the local dealer, Dicks, wanted about $4600 for fixing engine and replacing cam and lifters. It was over 8k for a new motor. I did check the with the dealer and they had different part numbers on the replacement parts so they must have improved the design. It was my idea to get an engine quote as I wanted to be sure I got an upgraded motor that would not have the same issues.

I don’t think my money will be best spent at the dealership. After researching other options like crate motors I found a local machine shop that specializes in rebuilding these types of engines. They offered to rebuild the motor in under a week with upgraded parts and offer a 70k mile 7 yr warranty.

I plan to support my local machine shop as their price is $2300 on the rebuild which is less than any crate motor I could find. I will have to pay my mechanic some too to pull and re-install the engine but it still comes out less than having the dealer patch things up.

My local mechanic is offering to rebuild the motor as well for around 3k but I think I will go with the machine shop as they are familiar with the engine and are set up for a quick turnaround.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Doodoo972 is on a distinguished road

Hi, why don't you go for a tuned cam, with good lifters, spring and so...plus a custom tune from Memifever or Greene ?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Snowbones is on a distinguished road

I don’t know much about performance modifications but I do like the power of the stock HEMI and it sounds nice. The truck is a tradesman ST version that was a retired Police vehicle so doesn’t have a lot of luxury options. I don’t even have a backseat or console so I am looking to source seats too.

Regarding performance upgrades I need a truck to pull my 21 foot boat so I don’t want to do anything that will negatively affect the towing capacity or would make it higher maintenance than it would be otherwise. Also I wanted a daily driver and don’t want to do anything that would negatively affect the mpg.

That being said I am open to any performance upgrade suggestions based on that criteria.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

catchthis1016 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, same problem here. 2011 ram 1500 5.7l hemi @ 149k misfire cyl 5. I've read all the dreadful stories on this thread and have decided to make the plunge into fixing this myself.

I'm hoping some others in this thread can chime in with what choices they've made along the way as far as finding the right camshaft & lifters.

I am not looking for an mds delete kit or even an oem; just something that will do the job for many miles to come. I'm trying to avoid unexpectedly ordering some reman cam without knowing.

Can anyone steer me in a good direction here for a new cam? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement