Fifth wheel towing - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > Camping Zone!

Notices

Camping Zone! Do you tow a Camper? Tell us all about it here! Share ideas, info, tips and tricks etc!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2019 Quad Cab Hemi
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:75
davidmurphy02 will become famous soon enough
Default Fifth wheel towing

Just returned from a 5,000 mile round trip from Austin to Chilliwack, BC to pick up our new Escape 5.0TA fifth wheel. Trailer is 21 feet and weighs 5,000 pounds loaded, tows like a dream. This is probably the only fifth wheel in this weight class that can easily be towed by a 1500 - which is one reason why we were willing to drive to Canada to get it (Escape doesn't have a dealer network, they build each trailer to order and you have to pick it up).

On level terrain the truck drives like the trailer is not even there. Climbing mountain grades it gears down but throughout the trip at any altitude on any steepness of grade I always had the power to accelerate when I needed to. On long mountain downgrades the transmission was terrific - as I would pick up speed, when I braked to keep the speed down the transmission automatically downshifted to maintain that speed and would not upshift again until I accelerated slightly. If I needed to slow down further and braked more, it downshifted again and held the lower speed. I had expected to use the gear selector switch but now don't think I will ever need to touch it, tow mode handles everything very well automatically. I have the 3.21 and it does just fine pulling this trailer, and gives me great mileage when I'm not towing.

I have a payload of 1,804 - ordered the truck specifically to tow this trailer. Quad cab Lone Star, level 1, tow package, big gas tank. Pin weight of the trailer is 700, my Demco Recon hitch 100, leaving 1,000 pounds for me, my wife, and cargo in the truck. When I hitch up the trailer the back end hardly settles, haven't measured yet but it is very slight and truck sits perfectly level when hitched and rides very smoothly. I know 4th gen owners with this same trailer who experienced a good bit more back end squat - in 2019 Ram switched from linear coil springs to progressive coils that get stiffer under heavy load and they really seem to make a difference.

Got 22 mpg on the trip up with just the truck, 14 on the way home pulling the trailer. That included a lot of mountain driving out west, and on open terrain I drove 70+ so I'm sure if I held it to 65 the towing mpg would be even better. Couldn't be happier with this truck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snoqualmie 1.jpg (127.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Goosenecks 5.jpg (125.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Recon hitch 1a.jpg (126.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snoqualmie 4.jpg (127.1 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:24
sandawilliams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Just returned from a 5,000 mile round trip from Austin to Chilliwack, BC to pick up our new Escape 5.0TA fifth wheel. Trailer is 21 feet and weighs 5,000 pounds loaded, tows like a dream. This is probably the only fifth wheel in this weight class that can easily be towed by a 1500 - which is one reason why we were willing to drive to Canada to get it (Escape doesn't have a dealer network, they build each trailer to order and you have to pick it up).

On level terrain the truck drives like the trailer is not even there. Climbing mountain grades it gears down but throughout the trip at any altitude on any steepness of grade I always had the power to accelerate when I needed to. On long mountain downgrades the transmission was terrific - as I would pick up speed, when I braked to keep the speed down the transmission automatically downshifted to maintain that speed and would not upshift again until I accelerated slightly. If I needed to slow down further and braked more, it downshifted again and held the lower speed. I had expected to use the gear selector switch but now don't think I will ever need to touch it, tow mode handles everything very well automatically. I have the 3.21 and it does just fine pulling this trailer, and gives me great mileage when I'm not towing.

I have a payload of 1,804 - ordered the truck specifically to tow this trailer. Quad cab Lone Star, level 1, tow package, big gas tank. Pin weight of the trailer is 700, my Demco Recon hitch 100, leaving 1,000 pounds for me, my wife, and cargo in the truck. When I hitch up the trailer the back end hardly settles, haven't measured yet but it is very slight and truck sits perfectly level when hitched and rides very smoothly. I know 4th gen owners with this same trailer who experienced a good bit more back end squat - in 2019 Ram switched from linear coil springs to progressive coils that get stiffer under heavy load and they really seem to make a difference.

Got 22 mpg on the trip up with just the truck, 14 on the way home pulling the trailer. That included a lot of mountain driving out west, and on open terrain I drove 70+ so I'm sure if I held it to 65 the towing mpg would be even better. Couldn't be happier with this truck!
That trailer looks like a perfect match for a 1500.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015 3500 Big Horn CC TD DRW
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2015-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 865lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:2559
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

You chose well and did your homework. Congrats on a very nice 5th wheel.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2019 Ram Big Horn Sport QC 4x4
Trim Level: Level 1 W/Tow Pkg
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Rep:125
Tred will become famous soon enoughTred will become famous soon enough

davidmurphy02 - Thanks for the report on your 5th wheel. The wife & I are looking for something small, too. I'll look them up.

Starting over!
RetraxONE MX Tonneau Cover - Line-X Bed Liner - Tinted Windows - MOPAR Window Vent/Visors & Bug Shield - Husky Mud Flaps
R.I.P. 2017 Ram SLT Big Horn QC 4x4 (Totaled - 01/24/19)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2019 Quad Cab Hemi
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:75
davidmurphy02 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tred View Post
davidmurphy02 - Thanks for the report on your 5th wheel. The wife & I are looking for something small, too. I'll look them up.
They make a really terrific trailer, and each one is custom made to the buyer's specifications, many options available. https://escapetrailer.com/

They have a very active user forum also that has a lot of good info: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/
Old 04-23-2019, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2019 Ram Big Horn Sport QC 4x4
Trim Level: Level 1 W/Tow Pkg
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Rep:125
Tred will become famous soon enoughTred will become famous soon enough

Thanks again...

Starting over!
RetraxONE MX Tonneau Cover - Line-X Bed Liner - Tinted Windows - MOPAR Window Vent/Visors & Bug Shield - Husky Mud Flaps
R.I.P. 2017 Ram SLT Big Horn QC 4x4 (Totaled - 01/24/19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement