Questions on rear end gearing - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum

Notices

Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum Are you thinking about purchasing a new Dodge Ram, but have a few questions you'd like answered before you buy? Register and ask away in this forum! We have the answers you need!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dakota
Rep:10
Haas is on a distinguished road
Default Questions on rear end gearing

I'm hoping soon to buy a "new to me" ram, but slightly used. Looking for any good deal on a 2015 or newer. I may go brand new if some really sweet deals are going on, but I doubt it.

I won't be doing any towing with this truck. It's an everyday driver, and used for my business ( machine shop). So, I'll occasionally have a skid load of metal in the back, or a skid load of parts to deliver. Pretty much light work for a 1500 Ram.
I love the idea of having the power of a Hemi, but I don't really "need" it. From what I've read, most people with the V6 are happy and pleasantly surprised at how well the V6 does in this truck.

But I do want a truck that can get up to speed in short order, or be able to easily get around that slow guy on the expressway, and I'm wondering if the V6 still has some oomph once you're at highway speed? Was the 3.92 rear end available as an option with the V6? Or is the 3.55 acceptable with it? How slow would it be with the 3.22?
Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:3053
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

For the 2015 Ram, the axle ratios are stated below

On the Ram 1500 lineup, there are three available axle ratios – 3.21, 3.55 and 3.92.
The base axle ratio on 42 gas trucks is 3.21,
44 gas trucks is 3.55
the biggest axle ratio on 44 or 42 gas trucks is 3.92.
The base axle ratio on 44 or 42 diesel trucks is 3.55
the biggest axle ratio on 44 or 42 diesel trucks is 3.92.

As shown in the previous section, larger axle ratios can substantially increase towing capacity.
The max towing capacity of a Ram 1500 with a 3.6L Pentastar engine goes from 4,850 pounds with a 3.21 axle ratio to 7,100 pounds with a 3.55 axle ratio — which is almost a 50 percent increase. The percentage increase is not quite as significant with the 5.7L HEMI engine. With the 5.7L HEMI the 3.55 axle ratio provides a 25 percent increase in towing capacity in comparison to the 3.21 axle ratio.

http://www.miamilakesautomall.com/ra...duty-ram-1500/

I tried finding the specs in Rams official site, but my computer is not set up to read it

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/yearold.pdf
Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: SILVER
Rep:27
Rado is on a distinguished road

I have a 2015 4X4 Quad Cab with the Pentastar V6 and 3:21 gears . Plenty of power and I get quick take off's when needed, I usually run with a empty bed but have loaded it up as well with no real notice of lack of power ! My avg MPG hand calculated is about 20.2 around town and 22mpg hwy at 75 mph.
Also Welcome to the group.. I spent many summers in Milwaukee at my grandmothers and Ft Atkinson,

Last edited by Rado; 04-28-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:931
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

Yeah really any 1500 will do you since you don't plan to do any towing; the V6 actually scores you more payload because its lighter being smaller and all aluminum. We have a couple V6 Tradesmen at work (4x4/quad cab which is what my Lone Star is) and the front end is noticeably lighter.

The Hemi is great and will have that much more oomph when you want it, but in my experience the V6 only needs 500-1000 more RPM to pull the same load up the same hill at the same speed; and the DOHC V6 has a redline 1200 RPM higher (6800) than the OHV Hemi's 5600 RPM redline.

The Pentastar is only 90 hp down on the Hemi (305 vs 395), its the torque that gets ya, and that comes into play more when you're towing since max payload is around 1800 on these which is like nothing if it were a trailer. There the six gives up 141 horses to the V8.

For you I'd recommend a Hemi with either gearing or a V6 with 3.55s. The Hemi will really fly around people better on the highway even with the 3.21 gears and you'll probably like the sound better. The V6 will get about 5 MPG better all around

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 05-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: prairie pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
boocoodinkydow is on a distinguished road

Great info, guys. Thanx.

I generally trade vehicles every four years but with the long drawn out litigation settlement pending, my 2014 Ecodiesel has been in the stable a little longer than expected. The settlement finally came to fruition 5/3 and I placed my new vehicle order 5/10.

The dealer chastised me for opting for the pentastar in a limited trim and said I was ordering a truck nobody else would want and requested an additional deposit. I told him I wasn’t trying to satisfy anyone other than myself and refused to pony up anymore $$$.

Admittedly, it may come back to bite me in the a$$ at trade time but this is our traveling vehicle and I was more concerned about fuel mileage rather than payload/towing capability. My towing consists of nothing heavier than my motorcycle a few times a year.

The info y’all have shared reinforces my decision. Thanx.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: prairie pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
boocoodinkydow is on a distinguished road

sorry double post

Last edited by boocoodinkydow; 05-12-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement