DIY Upgrade 5.0 radio (ra2) to 8.4an (ra4) with navigation - Page 175 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 04-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2017 ram 1500
Color: Blk
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Victr222 is on a distinguished road

Hi. Is there a wire diagram that will make the auto dual zone work in a ra2 to ra4 upgrade with 7 speed setup in 17 ram 1500? I font know if this has been done yet.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2018, 07:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
78Staff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by castires View Post
So I just looked on the oem parts co website, now known as infotainment, and they apparently are going to be shipping kits out at the end of May that have everything you would need.

Can anyone verify that their kit will give us all the same functionality and everything if I were to source all the parts separately?

When I look at the list, it appears to have everything except the resistor, but I could be wrong. They are going to be selling the kits for around $1600.
I know this is older post/thread, but thought I would post my experience using the infotainment kit. There are three options, no nav, basic nav, and 3D nav plus HD and extra SiriusXM goodies. I went ahead and went the the upper tier 3D/HD package - figured if I was going to spend this much I might as well go all the way. The price currently ranges from 1200 to 1600 depending on which unit you choose. (don't freak just yet, more price info below)

Package includes head unit, replacement bezel, HVAC controller and cable, and 911 plug All parts looked new. The head units are reconditioned units with 90-day warranty, with a 1 year option available. This is the kit for the 7 speed fan, and upgrades you to the nicer controls also.

Mine arrived today, and within an hour pretty much I was done. It's a very simple install, really. Disconnect battery, mount HVAC controller, route cable, pull bezel/radio/plugs, swap bezel, mount new unit and replace plugs reconnect battery. That's it - you'll need to transfer Sat over, and may need to drive around the block to calibrate the NAV, but otherwise you are basically done. I stopped for a few minutes as I cut my finger pretty good routing the HVAC cable so it's basically an hour or less. The only minor issue I ran into is that the main harness for the radio the wires come out and bend one direction - when swapping the radio those wires were set in that bend which prevented really getting a bit with the lever to latch it in, so you just swap the lever to the other side (so you are not fighting the bundle of wires) and it drops right in.

As advertised, everything works as expected. Nav directions display in cluster, steering wheel controls all work, you can use touch or manual contorls for radio, HVAC, etc. Backup camera is so much nicer on the 8.4 vs the 5". Then there's HD Radio and SXM Travel/Traffic which I haven't even messed with yet.

So, the elephant in the room... the price. yes it's expensive. I didn't read the entire thread, but I suspect you could source the parts from here and there and save a bit of money, but with this kit you get everything in one box. They take your VIN and set it so to make sure there will not be any conflict or issues. I got a radio same year as my truck, and everything is guaranteed to "fit". They have a warranty, and support if required.

They also offer a Mil discount, and will take your radio on trade in as well. So with the Mil discount, trade in, and factoring in I also returned the hang on the window GPS I had just bought but not opened, the price falls quite a bit.

So overall a thumbs up from me. I know some will prefer to source items and do everything on their own, but I'm happy with the kit and having it in the truck 2 days after I placed the order.

Last edited by 78Staff; 08-05-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2017 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:54
jshillin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
I know this is older post/thread, but thought I would post my experience using the infotainment kit. There are three options, no nav, basic nav, and 3D nav plus HD and extra SiriusXM goodies. I went ahead and went the the upper tier 3D/HD package - figured if I was going to spend this much I might as well go all the way. The price currently ranges from 1200 to 1600 depending on which unit you choose. (don't freak just yet, more price info below)

Package includes head unit, replacement bezel, HVAC controller and cable, and 911 plug All parts looked new. The head units are reconditioned units with 90-day warranty, with a 1 year option available. This is the kit for the 7 speed fan, and upgrades you to the nicer controls also.

Mine arrived today, and within an hour pretty much I was done. It's a very simple install, really. Disconnect battery, mount HVAC controller, route cable, pull bezel/radio/plugs, swap bezel, mount new unit and replace plugs reconnect battery. That's it - you'll need to transfer Sat over, and may need to drive around the block to calibrate the NAV, but otherwise you are basically done. I stopped for a few minutes as I cut my finger pretty good routing the HVAC cable so it's basically an hour or less. The only minor issue I ran into is that the main harness for the radio the wires come out and bend one direction - when swapping the radio those wires were set in that bend which prevented really getting a bit with the lever to latch it in, so you just swap the lever to the other side (so you are not fighting the bundle of wires) and it drops right in.

As advertised, everything works as expected. Nav directions display in cluster, steering wheel controls all work, you can use touch or manual contorls for radio, HVAC, etc. Backup camera is so much nicer on the 8.4 vs the 5". Then there's HD Radio and SXM Travel/Traffic which I haven't even messed with yet.

So, the elephant in the room... the price. yes it's expensive. I didn't read the entire thread, but I suspect you could source the parts from here and there and save a bit of money, but with this kit you get everything in one box. They take your VIN and set it so to make sure there will not be any conflict or issues. I got a radio same year as my truck, and everything is guaranteed to "fit". They have a warranty, and support if required.

They also offer a Mil discount, and will take your radio on trade in as well. So with the Mil discount, trade in, and factoring in I also returned the hang on the window GPS I had just bought but not opened, the price falls quite a bit.

So overall a thumbs up from me. I know some will prefer to source items and do everything on their own, but I'm happy with the kit and having it in the truck 2 days after I placed the order.
Congrats on the upgrade, it's definitely a worthwhile investment. I pieced together the 8.4 upgrade right after I got my truck, no regrets.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2015 Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: big horn hemi 4x4 cr
Color: white
Slam425 is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm in the process of swapping to a 8.4 nav radio from the 5in I was able to get a bezel with auto climate control I can't plug in the adapter for the fan/climate controls the new climate control has an 8 pin female connection does anyone know where I can purchase an adapter or what can be done? I did connect radio to try it out and everything works I have a 7 speed fan and steering wheel audio controls if that helps. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-28-2018, 06:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sammyoh is on a distinguished road

I got a VP4 NA from infotainment from a 2017 ram 2500, which I put in my Canadian 2017 Ram 1500. Everything works but when I try to register with SiriusXM Canada they said the radio is not compatible with Traffic + Travel link. But my last radio in the 1500 2017 was VP4 CA and I was able to get Traffic and Travel link but the issue was both services did not show up (icons missing and under subscriptions it was only subscribed to XM select but online I had all 3).

I called XM Canada and they said when they looked it up they cannot add traffic and travel link as its incompatible...

Anyone know what's going on?
Old 12-29-2018, 07:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015 RAM 3500 CC DRW
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:17
steveb is on a distinguished road

Send it back and get a CA compatible radio.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

kannox is on a distinguished road

I currently have 2017 1500 Trademans with 5" RA2. & 7 speed fan.
Parts I have ordered.
Control 68183973AC
8.4 Uconnect VP4 with Navi.
New bezel(None-Dual).
And I need harness.
Please provide information for a payment.
[email protected]
Old 05-14-2019, 02:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

kannox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by getupkid View Post
On the harnesses I've been building, I solder the splices and crimp the plugs. You take the 24 pin plug you unplugged from your 5.0 hvac bezel and plug it into the harness and then plug the other end of the harness into the hvac module and the 8 pin plug into the new 8.4 bezel.

Now that I've thought about it, I understand why the hvac module I posted doesn't work on high. The 2013s are wired that when on high, it bypasses the resistor. Sorry to everyone who bought that part, you might be able to convince whoever you bought it from to swap it out for the other module.

I don't have my truck (still at the tow yard) so I can't test anything out.
I currently have 2017 1500 Trademans with 5" RA2. & 7 speed fan.
Parts I have ordered.
Control 68183973AC
8.4 Uconnect VP4 with Navi.
New bezel(None-Dual).
And I need harness.
Please provide information for a payment.
[email protected]
Old 05-14-2019, 07:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2018 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
wmorris11 is on a distinguished road

I have been looking at this as well, I have a 2018 with the 5", after you changed out the radio, did you add the rear cargo camera also? did you have to change out your rear view mirror for the radio ? mine has the basic rear view mirror.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2017 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: True blue
redsuspenders is on a distinguished road

Watching also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement