Any Ford F150 converts? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum

Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum Are you thinking about purchasing a new Dodge Ram, but have a few questions you'd like answered before you buy? Register and ask away in this forum! We have the answers you need!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
IAJack is on a distinguished road
Default Any Ford F150 converts?

I am would like to hear from anyone who has switched from a F150 to a Ram.

I currently own a 2013 XLT SuperCab 3.5 eco boost with 62K miles that I use as a daily driver and to pull a small travel trailer and I am really happy with it and have had no issues. I have owned a couple Jeep Wranglers and a Dodge Charger and I like both of them too. I am brand loyal to very few things but I am considering looking at a Ram 1500 in the Bighorn or Laramie trim as my next truck. I am also kinda interested in the new 3.0 diesel that is supposed to be coming out.

So are there any converts here that went with a Ram over the F150 and can you tell me why and if you still think it was the right choice.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Black as your heart
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:174
NevadaMike has a spectacular aura aboutNevadaMike has a spectacular aura about

I had a ‘99 F150 before this ram. If I could do it again I would go with another F150 instead. I needed a new truck and was looking at used trucks to try and get to a price point I wanted. Any decent used truck was almost the price of a new truck. The last new truck I considered was a 8 hr old Tundra wit 110k miles on it for $25K. I saw new rams being advertised for $29K, so I decided to look at them. The ram has about 100 hp more then my F150 had and had a 8 speed trans vs the 3 speed with overdrive my old truck did. So driving it was a big difference.

The first thing I noticed after purchasing the ram was the ram squatted easily under a small load that didn’t phase my F150. I fixed that my replacing the rear springs with Tuffruck springs, a popular upgrade for the rams. The truck also spent more time in the shop getting repairs done the all the vehicles I’ve hade for the past 20 yrs combined. The dealer here was to blame for part of those issues with their low quality work they performed. I had to contact fca several times to try to get issues fixed. The dealer made ownership worse by their sleezy ways in dealing with me and issues that I had. To be honest any brand can suffer from a horrible dealer. I don’t know where you live, but if you live in or around Reno avoid Reno dodge/ram! I’ve heard from someone on here who was passing through who needed to stop at the dealer and experienced a taste of what I’ve dealt with from them. Don’t just look at the truck, but the dealer who will sell you the truck as well as servicing the truck. Again stay away from Reno dodge!

One of the times my truck was in for repairs I borrowed my parents 2016 F150 with the ecoboost engine in it. They loaned it to me for the 2 weeks ram had my truck. The F150 got better gas mileage driving around town. When I used it to pull my 7000lb tt the F150 pulled easier then my ram with the hemi. The brakes on the F150 are also superior. I personally would go with any other brand, but ram.

You may be wondering why I’m here after reading The above. I bought the truck and have to live with it. I don’t trade them in frequently, but keep them for a while. Most of the problems I have with the truck I’ve either fixed or learned to live with. I’ve put better springs in it for carrying loads. I upgraded the brakes so it stops better. The next thing on my list is to replace the subpar radio with one that works and performs properly. The radio that I was charged $640 as an upgrade over the base model performs worse then the $130 pioneer radio I had in my last truck. I shouldn’t have had to spend the time and money with the frustration of getting the truck to a point where it should have been new. Since I will have this truck for a long time I come on here to get help fixing it and to help others with theirs when I can. The one thing I do like that no other brand has is the shifter knob. Instead of having a shifter lever on the column or on the floor, the rams have a knob. Once I got used to it (didn’t take long) i discovered I liked it better then the old fashioned way.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
I.Caught.A.CTD is on a distinguished road

My brother did something very similar to NevadaMike, went from a '99 F150 extcab to a '14 Express QC then on to a '17 Big Horn CC. Minus the recent spat of recalls he hasn't had any complaints but his truck is more often a recreational vehicle (camping/road trips) then a high use work truck. So overall comfort, fuel efficiency, and options put his new trucks greatly ahead of his old one.

But you appear to be coming from a more modern truck that you enjoy and have no complaints about so I ask, why fix something that isn't broke? Unless you have the "new vehicle itch" to which I can understand.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC 6.4' 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Caucasian
Rep:102
guy65 will become famous soon enoughguy65 will become famous soon enough

I had a dream. I nightmare, to be specific. I woke up, bathed in sweat and the dream was so real, that I had to get out of the bed, go to the porch and look, what's in the driveway- Thank God- there was a RAM and not a Ford.

I drove many trucks before I decided for a RAM.
I do believe, they all cook with water- every brand has it's specifics and every brand has it's up's and downs.
At the end, the truck represents the philosophy of the manufacturer.

Ford- robust as possible but what would a Ford be without all those little quality issues, unfortunately, quality issues, which sometimes go into the thousands to repair. But overall- the truck is solid and what I didn't like was the cheap materials in the cabin and the feeling to sit on a block of wood on a thin memory foam pillow. V6 is not an option for me- don't like turbos and I love V8.

Chevy- a total different story- for my taste, too soft, always feels like an ocean tanker and therefore- without being slow, but it feels like it. The interior at the time was for me more a turn off- looked like someone created it and blew a balloon up in the back of it. Not my style- but I've seen the new ones- much better!
what I didn't like: the 5.3 is absolute the 3rd of the 3 available V8's and Chevy didn't offer the 6.2, which would be on par with Hemi and way above the 5.0 Ford, in lower trim levels than High Country, which comes with a hefty price tag.
Overall, I actually considered the Chevy, because I like the body style- but the price was at the end the decision to turn away.

RAM- well- I like the body style, I like the interior, I love the Hemi, I love the 8-speed transmission, and last, but not least- the price.
What I don't like: The excessive squat when you load or hook up a trailer- should not be and RAM should had known it- I don't believe, they did not see it during development. Progressive springs would not had done nothing to the end price.
what I absolutely hate: the light. You will find here plenty of threads about the head lights- they're sub-par, just to say it in a nice way. Everyone tries to fix it, with more or less success. I gave up. I just try to avoid to drive at night in the rain.

The reason, why I will very likely look at chevy again is the new design of the RAM- I do absolutely not like it and I know, If I would buy it, I would hate it, every time I look at it. It's a Twat-pleaser in my eyes. If a Man-Bun would look like a Truck- the 5th generation RAM would represent it well. It lost all it's masculine character. If I want to drive in a luxury vehicle, I buy a lexus. And the price range is much closer now to chevy, even more, as chevy seems to lower their prices- or - in this case- not increasing the prices significantly. Chevy also starts to offer the 6.2L V8 in lower, more affordable trim levels.

We will see.

Last edited by guy65; 06-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2019 Ram Classic
Trim Level: Night Edition
Color: Flame Red
Rep:132
canadian.bacon will become famous soon enoughcanadian.bacon will become famous soon enough

This is my 3rd Ram, mind you I get huge discounts thought work.
I like the Chevy, the Trailboss is super nice, however, the interior is a total let down and the price is the cherry on top. Very low quality materials, I mean low even for GM grey plastics. I drove the 5.0 in the F150 with the long bed and CC, super nice, pulls like a dog, but I was a bit off by the issues I have been reading about on the F150 forum. Oh boy, tranny hard shifting, that grey inside is awful on the seats. Price is(was) better than the Chevy, but I am not sold on the looks.
The all new Ram is nice and dandy, quite pricey at the time i was looking and I ended up with the Classic. No batteries to look for, great looks, nice aftermarket options, popular, decent resale value, equipped as I wanted, got the best value for my trade....so here I am in my 3rd Ram.
If the Trailboss would be way cheaper, I would think twice before getting my Ram. If the Tundra had the 8 speed, there would be no contest here.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2017 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Fieldoc is on a distinguished road

Came form a 13 f150 platinum with the 5.0 coyote. I had zero issues with my f 150 and really really liked it. Had 76,000 miles on it when traded. My son in law was selling rams at the time, btw this was in 2017. I was not a fan of the f150 front end and so drove a ram. it was a 100% loaded air suspension Laramie w/hemi. Ended up buying it. The plat interior was a bit nicer than the Laramie, but the ram rode way nicer and the price could not be touched by ford. Also like the 8 speed better than the 10 speed, seems when test drove new fords the ten speed was gear hunting. Since then have gone to an 18 longhorn and have no regrets with my ram. Must say that do like the looks of the 18-19 f150 front ends. Not sure what would buy if was looking now, longhorn or King ranch.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2019 Ram 1500 4th Gen
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: White
Rep:23
twodips is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
This is my 3rd Ram, mind you I get huge discounts thought work.
I like the Chevy, the Trailboss is super nice, however, the interior is a total let down and the price is the cherry on top. Very low quality materials, I mean low even for GM grey plastics. I drove the 5.0 in the F150 with the long bed and CC, super nice, pulls like a dog, but I was a bit off by the issues I have been reading about on the F150 forum. Oh boy, tranny hard shifting, that grey inside is awful on the seats. Price is(was) better than the Chevy, but I am not sold on the looks.
The all new Ram is nice and dandy, quite pricey at the time i was looking and I ended up with the Classic. No batteries to look for, great looks, nice aftermarket options, popular, decent resale value, equipped as I wanted, got the best value for my trade....so here I am in my 3rd Ram.
If the Trailboss would be way cheaper, I would think twice before getting my Ram. If the Tundra had the 8 speed, there would be no contest here.
If the Tundra got anywhere close to the fuel mileage of a RAM there'd be no contest. Had a Tundra and loved it, it would pass anything but a gas station. Happened to be at a Toyota dealer the other day and the salesman freely admitted the milage sucked.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC 6.4' 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Caucasian
Rep:102
guy65 will become famous soon enoughguy65 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodips View Post
If the Tundra got anywhere close to the fuel mileage of a RAM there'd be no contest. Had a Tundra and loved it, it would pass anything but a gas station. Happened to be at a Toyota dealer the other day and the salesman freely admitted the milage sucked.

The Tundra- I really like them- and the fuel mileage- I know it would suck - a lot- but I still would be able to compensate for that. Where my nono appears is at the bed sizes. They do not have the long bed with the crew cab. Also the interior would need a very intense refresh. Other than that- very competitive. Oh- and yes- the price- this was for me a deal breaker before I even looked at them.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 CC Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:214
14Hemi has a spectacular aura about14Hemi has a spectacular aura about14Hemi has a spectacular aura about

The Tundra gets the same mileage as 2500's without the benefits. They're a decent looking truck on the outside, although I'm not a fan of the interior aesthetics and they don't seem to be very competitive with pricing.

2016 Big Horn Hemi 4x4 w/ 3.21 Limited Slip
Bilstein 5100 at 2.1", Timbren SES, Airlift 1000, 18" Magnaflow, AEM Dryflow, 34" Falken Wildpeak AT3W, H9/9011 Headlight Upgrade, 7'6 Fisher HT, Bullet bedliner
Old 06-20-2019, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: 2017 CC 4X4 EcoDiesel
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:42
Wallamatogus is on a distinguished road

My brother is a lifelong Ford guy, currently drives a F250 Powerstroke. All I can say, he's had it towed to the dealer several times for failed sensors in the exhaust system. After driving his, no way that I'd trade my 2017 Ecodiesel for his Ford. I also recently drove a F150 Powersrtroke, way more money, worse ride, 10 less mpgs and slower. Still, a nice truck. I don't know if the 2020 Ecodiesels are out yet, but my 2017 gets insane mpgs and has been trouble free for 44,000 miles.
2017 Bighorn, CC 4X4, Black, Eco Diesel, 3:92's GDE Hot Tune. 2008 Arctic Cat Turbo Diesel ATV. Living the Diesel Life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement