FORD: Follow the Leader? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Off Topic Section > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 02-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 16 Longhorn 3500 SRW 4x4 CC SB
Trim Level: "Snazzy"
Color: Pearl White
Engine: 2016-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 900lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:203
Electrojake has a spectacular aura aboutElectrojake has a spectacular aura aboutElectrojake has a spectacular aura about
Default FORD: Follow the Leader?

It’s no secret that I’m a recovering Ford-a-holic.

So anyway, I get an email from the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum telling me to check out the new 2018 Ford Expedition.
This caught my eye because my wife is itching to pull the trigger on a new Toyota Sequoia (which is not new at all since the antiquated gas guzzling Asian behemoth hasn't been updated at all since 2008!).

So I click on the link to gaze upon new Ford SUV and to my disgust this is what I see. . .

"The heinous RAM 1500 transmission shift knob"

The full article is here if anyone is interested in blowing $75k on a new (short-term) SUV that feels like a 2013 Ram pick-up truck…

http://www.*****************/article...carousel-47078

Happy Motoring,
-Ej-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC 6.4' 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Caucasian
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:102
guy65 will become famous soon enoughguy65 will become famous soon enough

What bothers me more is the fact, that they still refuse to work on a new bigger V8 than the coyote. they ecoboost the world and think, if you don't give the choice, people will buy it. I hate globalism and I hate loosing identity. I don't care, that in Japan motorcycles can have maximum of 600ccm, I don't care, that Europeans think, if you have more than 1000ccm and 3 cylinders, you need to be executed, I don't care if in Australia everybody who leaves the city needs to carry at lest 5 gallons of water, I don't care if you can't have sex in Saudi Arabia unless you're married to the woman you have intercourse with. I'm in America and I want an American vehicle with a typical American drive train. Ford can't deliver and even worse- forces into the other direction. so Ford, then go. I know, where I get, what I want.
I truly believe, in a vehicle of this size, you need a long living, durable and long lasting engine. If you buy something about this size and complain about mpg, you have other problems.
My vote: keep it.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Dark cherry
Rep:21
jrry261 is on a distinguished road

I like the color of the one in the picture anyhow. Also I don't mind the knob all that much.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2016RCLB4x4/44-45
Trim Level: Tradesman w/3.92 LSD
Color: White
Rep:999
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Electrojake, to each his own. I'm old school too but after you've used the "heinous" dial shifter as you called it, for a good while, it's really such a simple and functional device. It reminds me that I have a great 8 speed transmission underneath me. Sure it's not a "3 on the tree" or a "column shifter", or even a center console shifter, in fact it is in a class of its own. But I will say this, Ford is trying to entertain the new school masses of high end European and Italian cars that possess these dial shifters. Here's what would be even more heinous Electrojake; The thought of a Detroit truck company installing paddle shifters in the oh so near future.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:23 PM

Engine: 2016-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 900lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Electrojake has a spectacular aura aboutElectrojake has a spectacular aura aboutElectrojake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
What bothers me more is the fact, that they still refuse to work on a new bigger V8 than the coyote. they ecoboost the world...

...My vote: keep it.
guy65, I find your posts to be refreshing.
I respect someone with a good solid opinion that's not afraid to express it.
In the next 3 or 4 years we may indeed see vehicles aimed at the US market being more Americana, and a lot less "new world order' as far as their design goes.

There's a new sheriff in town and it's gonna' change everything, probably in more ways than you'd care to think.
Yup, It's gonna' get interesting.
-Ej-

Last edited by Electrojake; 02-13-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Less is better.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Here's what would be even more heinous Electrojake; The thought of a Detroit truck company installing paddle shifters in the oh so near future.
Bite your tongue Sir!

I LOVE my old fashioned 2016 Ram HD with its old-school steering column gear shifter and its dashboard mounted headlight switch.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:3060
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Rotary Shifter, gear change selector that can't be used on a winding road, tilt steering wheel that hardly moves, automatic braking, blind spot warning beeper. If changes like this keep happening, pretty soon the upper glove compartment will have a Tampon dispenser in it.

As far as Fords go, how about the newer Ford Explorer
I saw today that owners of the newer Ford Explorer are carrying carbon monoxide detectors.

One police officer actually passed out due to the fumes, he was driving when it happened
Old 02-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Rep:976
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

And what's goin' on with those taillights? Its like they couldn't decide what shape they wanted so they made the housing one shape and the color inside another.

I like the shift knob in both my Ram and Durango. I will not go further into that here since I've said it many a time.

EJ, I am surprised you didn't order a G56 in your Ram. Also, what does your wife find so compelling about the Sequoia? Genuine question here since it just seems to be an also-ran at this point. Even the Armada has been updated

If an engine needs a turbo to do its job its too small; though an added turbo to help it do the job better can be nice. The tiny turbo engines are just emissions test cycle beaters, they put out V6 emissions during testing because they cans stay out of boost, whereas in the real world they can't.

I am happy with my naturally aspirated RWD (and RWD biased 4wd) vehicles. Europe is a weird place-they build v12s with the displacement of a small block V8

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 02-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2017 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:35
JasonWilliam is on a distinguished road

As an exFord guy the title of this thread made me laugh. No disrespect to you at all EJ, but you should have seen the commentary on the various Ford forums when Ram/Mopar decided to copy the Raptor with the retrofit Rebel/Runner "upgrade" package, then again when they released the option package from the factory... and do it in such a way that was actually, truly, heinous (at least the retrofit package was. Can't comment on the factory built truck).

With that said, I like the competition and the 'stealing' of good ideas. Only makes for more innovation and ultimately better trucks; something we all benefit from.

Last edited by JasonWilliam; 02-13-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 2016 1500 Sport Crew White
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: White
Rep:47
joeyg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Rotary Shifter, gear change selector that can't be used on a winding road, tilt steering wheel that hardly moves, automatic braking, blind spot warning beeper. If changes like this keep happening, pretty soon the upper glove compartment will have a Tampon dispenser in it.

As far as Fords go, how about the newer Ford Explorer
I saw today that owners of the newer Ford Explorer are carrying carbon monoxide detectors.

One police officer actually passed out due to the fumes, he was driving when it happened
Well I hope if they do that they'll offer a "Mampon" dispenser for the men.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][B][I]2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew – Bright White, 5.7 litre Hemi, 3.92 Axle Ratio, 4" Superlift Lift Kit, XD Rockstar 2's 20x9 (-12mm offset), 35x12.5x20 Cooper STT Pro's, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flares, RetraxOne MX Retractable Tonneau Cover, Mopar Bedrug, DeeZee Tailgate Assist[/I][/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement