Under seat sub box plans - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: '05 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:86
Danzanzio will become famous soon enough
Default Under seat sub box plans

Long story short, my cheap ebay sub box blew my subs.

I cut the carpet and pried off the top sheet of wood. I was pretty disappointed to find out how cheap this sub box really was. I looks like it was held together by what looked like needles but they were actually nails and I don't even think there was glue or caulk between the pieces of wood. And if you can see in the pictures, in the corners where the wood joins, it looks like they tried to seal the box with really thin lines of some kind of glue. I attempted to seal the box with silicone when I first got it since it was leaking but that didn't work and the subs eventually blew just after a year. So I wrote down the dimensions and wanted to share them with you guys since I knew a few people wanted them to build their own sub box.

Here is a picture of the sub box and one with the top taken off.

The thickness of the wood they used. I looks like it's just under 5/8". And it falls apart pretty easily so I think it's more like particle board than MDF.

And here's a picture of the bottom "cups"

Here is the AutoCad file of the dimensions.

I made the thickness of the box 3/4" in the drawing instead of 5/8". I also didn't make any holes so that whoever uses these dimensions can cut them for either 10" subs or 12" subs.
The dimensions for the top of the box are spot on but the ones for the "cups" might be off a little since there were lots of angles and it was kinda hard to measure them. Oh, and all of the dimensions are in inches.

I plan on building the top part but for the "cups" I'm going to use filberglass so I can get more air space and it will be easier to do than to cut the wood with a bunch of angles. I will also be making ports in the middle rear of the box. It will end up looking a lot like the Fox Box but it will be a lot cheaper :P

Last edited by Danzanzio; 10-06-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road

That's an Atrend box and they are not worth anything. Check out how the one sub gets more airspace than the other due to the divider... it's pathetic.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Rep:98
BiggBoy will become famous soon enough

This is basically what I did. Bought a cheap box, took the top off got rid of the divider, and glassed the entire inside of the box. Worked great, and took much less time then doing the glass work in the truck.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

Yep -- same cheap, crappy box here -- only in single form. I performed serious surgery on it prior to install. I stated making my own, but quit due to the crazy angles, etc. I wish I knew how to fiberglass. So far, my remodeled box is fine, but it's slightly small for my sub.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:35 AM

Vehicle: '05 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Blue
Rep:86
Danzanzio will become famous soon enough

I'm glad I'm not the only one that made the mistake of taking the cheap route buying a sub box lol. I had a little extra cash and bought a gallon of resin and 4 packs of fiberglass mat, which I hope is enough for the "pods" but I still have to figure out how big those will be. I have some extra 3/4" mdf in the garage I plan on using to build the bottom, port, and sides out of. Now I just need to buy another sheet of mdf for the top. Like I said in my previous post, it's going to look at lot like the Fox Acoustic dual 10" ported box they make for the extended cab. Whenever I get around to making this thing I'll definitely take pictures and do a write-up for everyone.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Rep:10
Savage 70 is on a distinguished road

So I just upgraded the head unit in my truck to the Kenwood double din 373 model and love it. but I did the same thing and bought a cheap sub box for under the rear seat. I installed 10" kicker subs and am not happy with the performance of them due to the box. I came across this thread and am going to build my own box but going to build it out of alum so I can maximize the air space for the subs. I am also going to go with 12" subs in the new box. anybody know how much air space (General space) is required for 12" subs. going to design this using solidworks so if anyone would like the plans when im done I can send them to you.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:47 PM

Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Atlantic Blue Pearl
Rep:24
jib88fer is on a distinguished road

Find the subs you want to use and check the specs. A good sub maker will list min/max airspace requirements. Airspace isn't the end-all and be-all of subs. I have seen small boxes weighed down with sand (more physical thump) that sounded.. er.. felt better than a larger box just sitting there thrashing around like a dying duck.

And yes, put my name in the hat for a copy of your box. I use Google SketchUp for just about eveything, but won't turn down a free set..
[FONT=Lucida Console]05 1500 QC SLT ThunderRoad Hemi, 3.92's, Husky Liners, K&N dropin, SC 91 Tune, Seat mod, Jensen 7"TFT w/ 4 Kickers and auto-vox backup camera, 275/55-20 Nitto G2 Terra Grapplers, Bilstein 4600', 2" Drop Shackles, 2-10" Dubs w/ Infinity K600 amp, rear seat lifted 4", dropin tool box, BullRings, [/FONT]

Last edited by jib88fer; 03-24-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Savage 70 is on a distinguished road

jib88fer: thanks for the info, and I will put you down for a copy.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Tbanks is on a distinguished road

Would you be able post or email me the pdf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement