DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Looking to purchase Ram 1500

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  capekildare 
#1 ·
My first post here and I hope you can help.

I am looking to purchase a used Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 2014-2017 short bed.
I want to purchase a travel trailer in the 5000-6000# dry weight range.
From what I see on the internet (and please correct me if I am wrong), what I have gathered is the Ram with the column shifter is the 6 speed with he 3.55 or 3.92 gear ratio.
The dial shifter is the 8 speed and has the 3.21 or 3.92 gear ratio.
Is this correct?

Next, if I am looking at a truck, is there an easy way (code perhaps?) to tell what gear ratio a truck has, whether it is the column shifter or dial shifter?
For example, if I find a truck on a dealer lot and it has the column shifter, how to I tell what ratio it is?

Based on the towing specs on the Ram website, I would prefer the 3.92 or 3.55 ratios and not the 3.21.

(FYI. I currently tow a small hybrid travel trailer with a Chevy Traverse and am looking to upgrade. So I have some understanding of towing and payload as well)

Thanks!
Keith

See less See more
#2 ·
Several people have stated that the 2013 + 8 speed transmission will have the rotary shift knob & those that have the 3:21 rear differential & do tow with them, they say that it works quite well & they get the best mpg

Others say that the same transmission with the 3:92 is best for heavier towing

If you have a smart phone with internet, you may be able to go to this website below & find out which ratio a Ram would have

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/article/How-do-I-contact-Ram

I don't have any idea how long it would take to get the answer on the ratio
They may be able to give you a better website to check, you will only need the VIN #

A sales person may just throw a ratio at you without really knowing or caring if it is right or not

There are 2 other ways to check it yourself,
The first is to jack up the rear end, mark the right rear tire & the drive shaft with tape or chalk. Then count the number of times the drive shaft rotates when the wheel rotates one time. Of course you likely can't do that at a dealership.

The 2nd way is to slide under the truck, just in front of the right rear tire & look at the axle tube between that tire & the center of the differential, if it has not peeled off, there could be the paper sticker that the ratio is printed on

#3 ·
6 speed Rams came with the option of 3.21, 3.55, or 3.92 gears. The wider range of the 8 speed transmission increased the capacity of the 3.21 to the point that the 3.55 set didn't really make a compelling case for fuel efficiency over the 3.92, or capacity over the 3.21. So, they made a very few 2013 8 speed 3.55 Rams and dropped the option the next year.

Note that the V6 models with the 8 speed have only 3.21 or 3.55 as options, but I am assuming you want the Hemi here.

Column or console shift Rams are 6 speeds; 8 speeds ALL have the dial shifter.

You can tell gear ratios by looking at the axle tag under the truck, or pulling the build sheet. Gear ratio is not necessarily listed on window stickers, mine was not, but if it is the 3.92 instead of the 3.21 it should be listed under optional equipment, as the 3.21 is standard.

Depending on the truck configuration, a 3.21 equipped Hemi Ram is rated for around 7600-8500 lbs towing, so if you're only planning to pull a 6000lb trailer either will do unless you get a super high optioned truck and load a lot of gear on the trailer. IMHO looking at the trailer's GVWR instead of its dry weight is better as it will leave you more margin for error.

I will tell you from experience that a Hemi/8speed/3.21 Ram will tow all of 8500lbs with power to spare

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.