DODGE RAM FORUM banner

A/C blowing cold while moving.

8K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Lake O Hunter 
#1 ·
I have an 02 ram 1500 with a 5.9L gas motor. My ac works pretty while moving.and blows hot air while stopped. I noticed the other day the fan was not on. So I went online to try and sort out the issue. I read change the fan, I also read that the whole ac system works on pressure and won't kick the fans on if freon is low. When I pulled the codes I a fan clutch relay code coming back. Before I spend a bunch of time tracing problem that might not fix the problem I figured I would ask on here your thoughts on a good place to start that will yield results. I tried looking through to find a a previous discussion on this but found some stuff that did not relate to my exact. Problem

Thank in advance

#3 ·
06 2500 diesel change out elec fan clutch to thermal?

Purchased new 2006 Ram Mega cab 2500, 5.7 diesel, mileage now 196,742, fire red. I hit hole of water & broke radiator fan blade & wiring pulled away from a/c clutch. I tried a patch job. Good cool air while driving but when idles a/c puts out hot air. I want to change electric a/c fan clutch to thermal. I have changed elec a/c fan clutch 3 times, appears to be a bad design as my son has trouble also. He has 2004 Dodge 3500 diesel. Since I have to change radiator blade I thought a good time to change all. What blade is compatible to a thermal fan clutch? What kind of adapters do I need? Wiring changes?
(I had the good 2006 pdf repair manual but lost it with PC failure & cannot find another)
Dealers are 45 miles away.
Thank you for helping with my troubles.

#10 ·
Usually if you get cold while moving but hot not moving it's the condenser fan. Happened to me last year.

Have to look up where the relay is, then you can make a jumper for it but honestly the easiest way to tell is turn the A/C system on and see if she kicks on. You can also turn the system on and unplug the fan and see if there's the right amount of juice at the connector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.