DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Daytime running lights 2018 model

48K views 120 replies 35 participants last post by  TuskegeeDan 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone with a 2018 Ram has had any luck getting your Amber Drl's enabled. I see lots of threads saying they got them turned on and lots of threads that could not get them turned on. Seems like it is a dealer issue because there are all different years and trim levels that have had success and not had sucsess. Have not seen any 2018 year success or not successful attempts. Would like to get mine enabled seems like an easy job for dealers just add a sales code to your VIN. Live in Central Pa. anyone with a 2018 had any luck with your dealer getting your DRL enabled?

#72 ·
The DRL's can only be toggled on or off by a dealer or, in some cases, with an aftermarket widget.
There is no provision in the user menus settings to accomplish this.

At my local dealer, the service department knows they can toggle DRL's on and they do it all the time upon request. Cheerfully too.

But the sales staff has no clue. Back when we took delivery of our truck I asked the salesman and he said no, RAM trucks don't have DRL capability. When I found out that was just not true (from here on this forum) I told the salesman about it, even showed him the instructions.
I found out last week that he's still telling people there is no DRL function on RAM trucks. Hard to understand, really. Is that stupidity? Stubbornness?
It makes no sense to me at all.

#73 ·
It stands to reason there would be no ability for a customer to turn DRLs off and on, especially Canadian customers where DRLs are required.

My best guess at this point is the Lights menu I saw was from another model year truck, or it was one heckuva good photoshop job :)

#77 ·
I hear ya. Because I did mine using OBDGenie (and a SGW module bypass) I knew from the video on their website what to expect, the amber turn signals.

That said, when I had a local outfit set me up with HID low beams and LED fogs, he said he could have given me "DRLs" a different way that would've cost way less than the amber DRLs. I didn't really follow up as I'd already done the OBDGenie DRLs. He mentioned something along the lines of using the high beams with reduced output.

Back on track though, now that I know the "official" DRLs cannot be turned on and off by the customer, I may reconsider asking this new dealer to do it. The only reason I'd prefer the official DRLs is in the event a dealership flashes my BCM for some recall, then I have to put that darned SGW module back in again, a real PITA.

#80 ·
Bikemutt,
is that a pic of menu after the DRLs have been activated? It makes sense that now you would have the option to turn then on/off. Shirley you dint have that menu all along, right?

#79 ·
This is wonderful information folks. Thank you all for contributing. I am getting real close to having my first oil change done. Not sure if I'm looking forward to or dreading the conversation with service dept about this subject. I too have unintentionally lied to my insurance company about my truck having DRLs. Actually, come to think of it, I did not lie because the do have them. I just dint know they were turned off.

#83 ·
There are two sales codes for DRL. I will see if I can find the post that explains them. One turns them on. The other gives the iption to toggle them under the lights option in the "radio" I would assume that the Canadian customers aren't supposed to have the option, and we in the USA can. If I find the sales codes, I will post. There are even more options for DRL available with the alfaobd app. Amber's, low beam, high beam lower voltage, etc.

#98 ·
Any more info on what's available with AlfaOBD ?

Can AlfaOBD configure which lights are powered on with different headlight switch settings?

I would like to be able to forget about DRL's and instead just reconfigure how the "Auto" position on my headlight switch works. I would be happy if it would light up front and rear running lights ALL the time, and then light up the headlights only when the sensor says it's dark enough. This would save the headlight bulbs versus my black plastic cap mod, but it would ensure safer driving for the 'occasional' driver.

bspRAM

2018 Laramie 1500 CC, Peragon bed cover, Rhino spray-in bed liner, Bed Rug, OE bed lights, OE tow hooks, OE w-to-w tubular side steps

#111 ·
I seen your reply with the coding for the daytime running lights. Has anyone tried this on the quad reflector lights? My 18 tradesman has DRL's in the low beam, not the high beam, with that being said it has screwed up my plow lights and any kind of upgrades for lighting (HID, LED's). Will any of these codes fix this issue and apply the drl's to the low beams.

#85 ·
DRL's and options

I had my selling dealer (Torkelson Motors in Waukon, IA) turn on the amber LED's as DRL's on my 2018. Initially they assumed that I wanted the high beams at low power as the DRL's. They graciously re-did it, and it took them all of another five minutes. They seemed to know just what to do in both cases, but I hadn't asked specifically enough for the LED option.

That said, I have now installed a cut-down black table leg cap over the daylight sensor to turn all the lights on whenever the light switch is on "Auto". I wanted DRL's for visibility in dawn/dusk/poor weather, and more especially for if I loan the truck. DRL's don't include any rear lighting, which can defeat that purpose under some conditions, so the plastic cap mod for less than a buck works.

I understand some folks don't want lights on all the time, and I get that. It's a choice.

bspRAM

#86 ·
I had my selling dealer (Torkelson Motors in Waukon, IA) turn on the amber LED's as DRL's on my 2018. Initially they assumed that I wanted the high beams at low power as the DRL's. They graciously re-did it, and it took them all of another five minutes. They seemed to know just what to do in both cases, but I hadn't asked specifically enough for the LED optionbspRAM
That's funny, I wanted the headlights on and they turned on the LED's. There are two codes LMM and LMC, I got the LMM turned on which I'm assuming is the LED's.

#87 ·
I did my own on my quad cab 18 model. It takes a custom cable I purchased and Alfaobd software which is available in Android or Windows. This software allows you to add the DRL, and also decide whether to use corner lights, high beams, or fog lamps. Also, and I haven't personally tried it, but also set specific voltage for them. Lots of other things that this software can do. Many that the dealer can't even do.

#90 ·
Circling back to the Security Gateway Module (aka thorn in side, aka saddle burr). Having done the work to get to the SGM, bypass it, and reconnect it, I know a bit of what I speak.

The SGM needs to be in place if a dealer needs to hook 'er up to WiTech. The "ideal" SGM bypass would be a harness long enough to relocate the SGM (and the bypass) so it's easily accessible to the owner, and maybe not-so-accessible to dealer.

This way the owner could bypass and replace the SGM at will, without pulling the dash, radio and other things apart, losing several pints of blood owing to stripped knuckles and so forth.

This harness would be worth it's weight in gold :)

#94 ·
:val::val::val:Well darn. I am sure happy for all of you that got it done for free. I went to my local (plum 'cross town 15+ miles) for first oil change. While checking in, I asked about the fuel filler because I have trouble getting gas nozzle in at Costco. Service manager played dumb saying we will have to investigate and test that over a day or two. I said forget it, then asked about the DRLs. She very quickly said "that will one hour labor at $165". She was not very friendly and sounded like death warmed over. She had no bizniz at work that day. I said forget that too. After waiting well over an hour and I was complaining to someone else who sat in waiting area I was finally called up ready. Same lady was still sounded like death warmed over but was much friendlier. They did oil change and couple recalls too. I left somewhat happy that I was finally done and she appeared to feel better. But I still have the DRLs and filler tube to deal with. Gonna smoke over how to plead my case better, more tactfully, and maybe how I can help them. Thanks to previous post who said they learned from him due to this thread. :val:

#97 · (Edited)
In my area, State Law reads that the headlights must be on while driving in Safety Corridors, the fine is hefty too.
I keep the bubble on the center dash speaker covered all the time & the headlight switch is always turned to Auto

My headlights are always On
In my business, every state requires that the headlights must be turned On

#101 · (Edited)
My dealer's techs seemed to know what they are doing. They turned my 2018 Laramie amber lights on as DRL's.

Better than that they understand the difference between turning on the high beams at low power for DRL's versus using the amber LED's - and they do whichever one the customer requests. As I recall, activating the amber LED's meant they needed to add the "Canadian Vehicle" suffix to the VIN. But the time it took was 10 to 15 minutes, and half that was explaining which I wanted. (no charge for me either)

#103 ·
Old thread, but I have pics I will try to post. I added DRL to mine with alfaOBD. I was able to choose which lights are used voltage of the DRL lights, and option of turning them on or off through the radio at will. And the software paid for itself when I added my trailer brake controller.

#118 ·
I know this has been an on going forum with drl! I recently went to the dealer and they said they can’t turn the drls of, in which are causing issue with a plow module on the truck. I just purchased the bypass, that’s been talked about for under the steering wheel. It’s not that I want to spend this money for drls, but it’s trying to save 300$ per module, which I’m on number 3 for. I’m looking for your experience on where I will need to navigate to, to make the right changes, to at least save the plow lighting module. As to date no help from dealer or manufacturer.

#106 ·
Here in Europe they usually use dedicated DRL's, but the black package Sport models (which I have) get the amber ones. Looks so good!

You can enable it yourself with AlfaOBD (you could perfectly fine buy a tablet and the OBD device on Amazon, do it and return them when you're done, if you don't want to keep them). If your BCM is locked (like most European models), you can change the country code to Canada, turn on the DRL's, let the truck sleep and then put it back to U.S. so your tire pressure will be in psi and not in kPa for example.

On the 2018+ models you will need a workaround but I thought AlfaOBD guides you through this?

#107 ·
2018 and up models all have the module that has to be bypassed. I bought a cable from a vendor that is a member on another Ram forum to do this. If I remember correctly, there is a different one for the 1500 and the 2500 and up. No need with this software, etc to change country code. Just enable optional DRL and will have the option to turn them on/off on the "radio" screen at will. Definitely would be cautious messing around with country codes.

#108 ·
I’ll see if I can find the code to take to your dealer for them to put into their computer for the drl’s. My dealer said no way before I found the code and took it back with the code and the tech was so embarrassed for not following through he did the computer update in the fast track lane. I’ll check and see if I can find that code. Theirs one that applies to Canadian trucks and there’s one for us trucks.

#109 ·
Ok I found the code for you to give your dealer service dept. providing you have the led turn signals the code they need to input is LM5. Then they quickly reflash the computer and all’s good to go. They will only come on with the truck out of park and no headlights on of course. Good luck. Oh my dealership didn’t even charge me their cheap fee of 50 bucks since I found the code for the tech.

#113 ·
Sorry Aram18. I’ve gotten the Laramie and in my configuration the DRL are using the led amber/turn signal lights. And I’ve seen driving down the road about what your saying and ram using one of the main headlights but dimmer. To me almost ineffective. Sorry but I’ll still try to find the code for your non projector beamed headlight. I think they should just turn on all the time with having to go through all this crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.