DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Spray Wax Comparison on my 2010 Sport: Mothers vs Meguiar's

9K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  shawnu 
#1 ·
I thought I would post a few notes up about spray wax, since I have recently tried 2 of the more expensive brands.

Like a lot of guys, I stood in the "wax and wash" isle of my local auto place for ages as I read over all the labels! I wanted a something easy, that I could apply quick, while getting the best shine possible. Each brand has the same nonsense about "micropolymers" etc, and its tough to guess the best one.

In the end I grabbed 2 kinds of spray wax: MOTHERS FX ENGINEERED SPRAY WAX and MEGUIARS ULTIMATE QUICK WAX. I applied and buffed out with a few new microfibre cloths, as per the instruction on both bottles.

MOTHERS ENGINEERED SPRAY WAX:
First of all, I have to say that the mothers product SMELLS good. It smells kind of like wax, so you feel like your actually applying something good!

I did a small area with this product and was REALLY pleased with how well it turned out, It did a nice job bringing out the shine. It also left the area I had done feeling smooth... not AS SMOOTH as a real wax job, but pretty close.

On the down-side, I found that I really had to buff quite a bit to actually achieve that stellar shine. I also found that I had to buff fairly hard. By the time I had finished the whole truck I started to feel like it was quite a bit of work! In some areas that I didnt buff enough, the spray wax left some "smudge" marks. These look bad. They were in areas that I did not buff as hard, but they can be buffed out as you notice them (and you will).

MEGUIARS ULTIMATE QUICK WAX
Unlike the Mothers, the Meguiars spray wax has no smell at all. I found myself a bit disappointed about that!

Like the Mothers, it went on easy. Unlike the Mothers, however, I found it MUCH easier to buff out to a shine. Using the Meguiars was just about as easy as wiping windex on and off of a piece of glass. I really liked how easy this product was to use. If you miss buffing an area well it will still look fine.

On the downside, I don't think the Meguiars product gave quite as nice a shine as the Mothers. It also didn't seem to leave the paint feeling as "waxy" smooth as the Mothers FX did. Having said that, it still does a nice job, and may actually be the one I prefer because it is SO MUCH easier.

THOUGHTS
In the end, I don't know if the mothers actually MAKES the truck shine more, or if the high shine is simply because the Mothers made me buff SOOOO much to avoid leaving waxy smudge marks.

I HAVE to say that the truck LOOKED a bit better after the Mothers, but it probably took 2-3 times as long. Once you start with the Mothers you HAVE to buff fairly hard. If you don't you will see the weird smudge marks appearing. Once you buff past those, however, it does look pretty darn good. If it takes an hour or more to do your truck in the Mothers though, perhaps you are better to invest that time and effort into doing a REAL wax job?

The reason I wanted a spray wax was for a quick shine after washing. The Meguiars product is really easy to apply, in much less time. If you miss a spot it doesn't seem to leave the same "residue" that the Mothers does. Although the Mothers ultimately left a better shine and smoother feel, I have been thinking that perhaps if I had buffed with the Meguiars for that long it would shine more too. I will have to try that.

Anyhow, I thought I would give my thoughts on those... bring on the argument!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Pffft!!!! use Fukken WAX, this stuff is 10x better then anything iv used. Its just as good was hand wax. Puts one hell of a shine to the truck.

#7 ·
My suggestion would be, if you want a good shine in a short period of time would be; wash your truck, clay bar it, then put a professional name brand wax or sealant on it. This might take you the better part of a day. This will also give you a good foundation to work with. After that, when you finish washing your truck you can apply a spray detailer and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth and I think you will be happy with the results. Using the spray detailer should only take about 1/2 hour. Remember that "wax" only protects for about 4-6 weeks where a "sealant" protects for up to 6 months.
Jay

#28 ·
I have to agree, you should start with a good foundation... I Just completed a wash, clay, wax and seal that took about 4-5 hours to complete. I used a deep gloss liquid sealer, but in between waxing I have used both Maguires and Mothers. I have to say I like the ease of using Maguires ultimate quick wax over Mothers.

#9 ·
ive been doing a bit of research on the spray wax phenomenon....

i must admit that i fell victim to it aswell...the qd just isnt enough between waxes i guess.

from what ive read, duragloss aquawax is supposed to be the best bang for the buck, and i understand that it is available in the USA OTC at some auto parts store chains.

anyhow, i grabbed a bottle this weekend, and intent to try it out. i have a few product reviews to do, but this one will also be reviewed once i give er a go.:doh:

#10 ·
I use the cheapo Turtle Ice spray wax from walmart in between full details. Works great and is dirt cheap. Best of all is it you can use it on the plastic trim parts too. Base coat on the paint is Klasse Sealant Glaze which lasts for about 6 months or more.

#13 ·
'I have a few different applications of maguires. Don't know if I spelled that right but you get the picture. The spray seems to only benifit if ur up for a quick shine. The paste is their best imo. I have pics on here somewhere of dog scratches on my hood and since have had more evrn worse. Before u say abything, I have a soft spot for destructive dogs. That along with major water spots and factory orange peel I wet sanded my whole trruck minus the tailgate. Then rubbing compound, polishing compound, pre paste, swirl remover more compound and some 80hrs of high gloss waxing all with micro fiber cloth. Looks awesome but not sure of what to credit the shine to, me or the materials used. Ha...and guess what, I recently adopted a huge Anatolion Sheperd and this guy about destroyed my perfect shine already. He's very lucky I have a weak spot in my heart for defensless animals. He put dent on the passenger side bed along with his scrathes and he rears up on top of my cab while driving sliding his paws all over, ouch that hurts when he does it ! Yes I am trying to train him but he is young powerful and hard to work with. I help dogs most people wouldn't bother with...high risk/maintenence, ugly and so on so u guys can spare the I'd kill him comments, lol. I'm actually looking forward to getting my shine back on again. ..hope to push the dent on the side out from underneath the bed....ir's hard to reach.

#14 ·
Has anyone ever heard of Turbo Wax? Can't buy it in stores, it has been my main product of choice the past few years now.

I have used turtle wax, meguiars wax and spray wax, mothers wax and spray wax, f1 spray wax and a few other cheap brands. Nothing has has beaten the results i have gotten from turbo wax. It goes on and off very easy, leaves a very deep shine and slick surface.

I just ordered their tire shine, wheel cleaner and their spay wax this year. I will be trying their spray and wax here in the next week or so.

Here is a pic after waxing last year:

#16 ·
I used to use the Mcguire's or Lucas slick mist and they worked well and I would likely still be using them but now I found this turtle wax spray detailer for black vehicles and it is by far my favorite spray detailer right now. I have a can of fukken wax but I wasn't really impressed.

#19 ·
Ive been using Eagle One spray wax for the past few years, simple spray and wipe, beads well, lasts a month or two depending on rain. added bonus it smells like vanilla pipe tobacco.

#20 ·
Zaino Final Detail spray has an excellent reputation with professional detailers. I have been using it for a couple of years and it does a great job. Downside---only available from Zanio and is pretty pricey and shipping cost are high.
Jay

#21 ·
Thanks for the comparison info. I have struggled with the Mothers / Meguairs dilemma before. Like you , I do find the Meguairs easier to remove. I have tried a few other brands but keep coming back to Meguairs because , for me , so far it has been the best line of products that I have tried. I do also like Autoglym but haven't tried their polish or wax yet. I used their (Autoglym's) interior detailing products and leather cleaner and leather balm. Good products.

#22 ·
Try some professional-geared products and you'll have a better comparison. Even some detail sprays offer protection that is comparable to spray waxes. When you look at the time needed to apply the spray wax, you can expand your options to detail sprays, waxes, and even sealants that can be applied in a similar time frame.

I would recommend Optimum Car Wax [their wax option comes in a spray, not a paste]. You spray it on and immediately remove it, there is no need to allow it to dry, cure, haze, flash, etc. I guarantee that it will be one of the slickest spray waxes you could ever use, and it lasts months, not weeks like a traditional spray wax.

With that said, there are also spray sealants like Chemical Guys Hybrid V7

And even a rinseless wash can offer protection like Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax

Don't just stick to over the counter options as higher quality products will last longer on your vehicle and the product will go further.

#25 ·
I was always a Zaino guy until I tried Turtle Wax ICE. Being a polish snob, I figured it was not going to work. I was delightfully surprised and would say it is pretty close to Zaino quality, without the price or cost of shipping.

ive never used any professional products, but ive been using the turtle wax ICE detail spray and i must agree...it seems to do one helluva job!

#27 ·
I have been using Meguires quick wax and I think it looks pretty good.....
Very, very under-rated product indeed.

All things considered - non professional line, easily purchased everywhere, very affordable, VERY easy application, very good results - it's a brilliant product!

It's the only Megs product I [still] have in my stash that I refuse to get rid off.

:smileup:

#29 ·
I use mothers caranuba spray wax and yes, it does take a little more to buff it out, but I'm satisfied with it. And believe it or not, amoral spray wax, I forget the name (orange bottle) works just as well. I picked it up on clearance and decided to give it a shot. Meguiars just doesn't give the depth I like.

I also use mother's paste wax, I love their products!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.