DODGE RAM FORUM banner

can the 3.9 be made bigger?

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  HemiLonestar 
#1 ·
I am realizing the more I read the less options there are for the 3.9 - however I am just wondering - maybe for the sake of v6 lovers or being different - can the 3.9 be bored out at all? That combined with a little head work - maybe that would help?

anyone have any thoughts on that?

#2 ·
You can bore a 3.9 over as much as you can it's big brother the 318, just not that far (not enough for a significant displacement increase). As far as I know, no one has ever made a stroker crank for this engine (interesting idea though). Any head work will help, not just P&P, but bigger valves as well. You can get a custom cam ground for it, use bigger injectors, etc. Question is, what year do you have and will you be able to tune it?

#4 ·
If there is a tuner for it, you could even run a Procharger or another blower/turbo, even twin turbo. Guys on LX forums have done blowers on the 3.5L V6 and even the new 3.6 Pentastar. Both of those motors are supported by Diablo tuning. Without tuning, however, you should be careful not to cause a lean condition.

#10 ·
Strokerkits.com offered one at least 10 years ago for around $3,000 (no mention of it on their website these days). And there's the rub. It's cheaper and easier to step up to a V8. The 3.9 never got much attention on the aftermarket front because, as before, it was cheaper, and made more sense, to just step up to V8 power.

#11 ·
Like I said before, the 318 is it's big brother (by nature of eliminating 2 cylinders, like the 4.3 and 350 chevy). 318 would be an extrememly cheap upgrade, with a 360 being even better. If you have/had the cash to stroke a 3.9, it would probably cost about the same to make a 360 a 408 and have TONS more power/torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.