White seam/crack in front of engine? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
calebx25 is on a distinguished road
Default White seam/crack in front of engine?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 Ram 5.7 4WD, 67k miles, started hearing some chirping from the engine and decided to take a look.

I'm not sure if it's relevant (I assumed the chirp was a belt) but I noticed there's a white seam/crack/something? on the front of the engine.

Is this normal? I also noticed the wheel connected to the radiator fan makes a noise now and wobbles a bit - related? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 CC Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:214
14Hemi has a spectacular aura about14Hemi has a spectacular aura about14Hemi has a spectacular aura about

My first guess is the water pump weep hole is dripping, indicating the water pump is no good. It doesn't mean the pump isn't functioning and your truck should overheat, it's a sign that the water pump is about to die. This would also create a bit of a whine as the bearings are going.
[COLOR=dimgray][B][I] Bilstein 5100 at 2.1", Timbren SES, Airlift 1000, 18" Magnaflow, AEM Dryflow, 34" Falken Wildpeak AT3W, H9/9011 Headlight Upgrade, [/I][/B][B][I]7'6 Fisher HT, Bullet bedliner[/I][/B]
[/COLOR]
Old 07-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
calebx25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Hemi View Post
My first guess is the water pump weep hole is dripping, indicating the water pump is no good. It doesn't mean the pump isn't functioning and your truck should overheat, it's a sign that the water pump is about to die. This would also create a bit of a whine as the bearings are going.
Thank you for your response!

A few weeks back I noticed the engine temp would spike to 240F for just a moment, the warning light would come on, then it would drop back to 200~ just as quickly.

I checked the radiator fluid and the overflow was bone dry, so I added enough to get to max fill.

It hasn't overheated since then but it does make chirping and a loose-wheel sound inside the engine now.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:30 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ran 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:194
gofishn has a spectacular aura aboutgofishn has a spectacular aura about

I'm betting its your idler pulley.tensioner pulley. going bad.

get some powder silicone from auto parts store and sprinkle on teh backside of the pulley and see it quiets down. if so, replace it.
Husky X-ACT Mats, AVS Deflectors, DZ Tailgate Assist-Bed Mat, ARE Cap, Line-X, OEM Remote Start-Mud Flaps-W2W SS Steps, Kenwood DDX492, Alpine MRV-F300 Amp&SPR-6x9's, Polk DB351, Stinger Roadkill, Bilstein [email protected], TufTruck 1211 Springs, Mevotech UCA's, Magnaflow 12388 Exhaust, Fold Flat Floor
Old 07-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:3060
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

When your engine has been sitting for a couple of hours, or to be safer, disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal

You could try using your finger to feel under the water pump shaft
If a drop of water comes out of the water pump weep hole
It is time to buy a water pump

in this video, skip ahead to the 7 minute 30 second point

Advertisement