a different intake - Page 3 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016
Rep:100
pacofortacos will become famous soon enoughpacofortacos will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmouse View Post
Since you made that comment... Just how much more performance could I expect with a 5.9 over my current 5.2?

More low end power, same as if you just stroke your 5.2 but a stroker kit costs more.

It takes some work to get the 5.2 to run with a 5.9 in the under 2000 rpm range.

Comes down to what you are trying to accomplish and your realistic budget.
Since that is all secret, it is hard to know what it is you want. haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 07:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1994 Ram 1500
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:25
thirdmouse is on a distinguished road

Just today I very suddenly, very surprisingly, and very unexpectedly came into possession of a beater POS '95 Ram with a 5.9 Magnum in it. I woke up this morning having no idea I would have such a thing by this afternoon. I'd love to swap the 5.9 into my truck, but I'm afraid the engine won't be in good shape because I know the PO and know a little recent history of the truck. I know mine was very well taken care of. I don't know that I want to go to the effort of an engine swap. In the beginning I really only wanted to go to a carburetor and was hoping to find a way to have the exhaust crossover passage in the intake, and I wanted this to be a low dollar project. But this is why I asked about the 5.9. I will check out those magazine articles.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:29 PM

Vehicle: 1991 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:99
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Ever consider Holley's Sniper EFI? It's a throttle body style injector unit like the last of the LA's just before the multi-point Magnum was introduced. They offer 2V and 4V, and it's basically plug and play, with a self-learning ECU. Bolts right to a 4V intake manifold.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1994 Ram 1500
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:25
thirdmouse is on a distinguished road

I've bookmarked a few threads here about how to convert to a carburetor. One thing I don't see anywhere - is there any kind of wiring kit to make the overdrive transmission shift without the computer? This is still the RH model.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:37 AM

Vehicle: 1991 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:99
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

The basic way is to simply wire in a toggle switch to the OD solenoid. A more "automatic" solution is detailed here:

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...p-information/

It's titled for a 3 speed to 518 upgrade, but the same process is what you'd do for your project. Works the same for the 46RH, which is the re-designated 518 with a lockup converter.

You may also find this helpful in moving away from a computer-based system:

https://alternatorparts.com/external...nator-kit.html

And then, ignition solutions are plentiful, from Chrysler's excellent vacuum advance distributor kit used thru the 70's and early 80's, to tunable systems from MSD while using a non-vacuum distributor like the lean-burn unit, to even a ready-to-run HEI conversion unit, as well as others.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 05-04-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement