545rfe LSD oil change question... - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 06-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
c3kram is on a distinguished road
Default 545rfe LSD oil change question...

Folks,

My son just bought a used '07 1500, quad cab, with the 5.7. I pulled the equipment list, and it has the limited slip differential (9 1/4"). I've never crawled under it and am unfamiliar with Rams.

It has ~150k miles on it. I plan on doing all fluids and filters and have a simple question (or two).

1. Do both front and rear differentials have drain plugs?

2. Does the transmission pan have a drain plug?

(My son's phone broke yesterday and he's not mechanically inclined...yet. So, he wouldn't know what he's looking at and no phone means no camera/photo.)

I thought every differential, transfer case, or transmission pan would OF COURSE have a drain plug, but I've read that none of them do on the Ram. Or, on some Rams some of them don't. I'm just not sure...

I'm buying up all the fluids, gaskets, and filters to do everything. Any pointers would be appreciated. He'll bring it up (4 hour drive) in 2 weeks.

Yes, he'll be under there with me.

Thanks,

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:3060
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Your setup may be just a bit different than this, but it is the only one that could find with a transfer case

You don't need to siphon anything out, he was doing it hoping to save time & hopefully be less messy

He also did not mention that the flat filter has 2 options, the 4x4 filter is deeper then the 2x4 filter

Some transmission pans do have a drain plug, A1 Auto Parts carries one & they are one of this sites vendors
I believe that these transmission pans are the same fitment, 45 RE, 545 RFE, 65 RFE

Old 06-13-2019, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

c3kram is on a distinguished road

@GTyankee, thanks.

Yeah, I've been looking around and 1A Auto has a lot of good videos. Glad they're a sponsor: I like the look of their replacement transmission pan. I do -not- like that 1/3 of the reviews state that their drain bolt leaked.

I'm getting the sense that Dodge does not like drain plugs or gaskets. Makes DIY a pita.

FWIW, I've worked on a lot of cars...just not a Dodge or, rather, a Ram. The use of liquid sealants makes quick work become long work. Permatex states most of their gasket material needs 24 hours to set. Plus, they don't let you fully torque the bolts (finger tighten until the sealant squeezes out of the flange, wait an hour or two (depending on the exact sealant), then add 1/4 to 1/2 turn. That is NOT a torque value. Plus, the wait for 24 hours for the RTV to cure before adding fluid??? Grrr.).

A gasket is SO much easier...both removing and installing. And the lack of drain plugs? That's a mystery.

My goal is:

*Both differential fluids. (75w90 up front, 75w140 w/LSD in rear.)
*Replace rear pinion seal.
*Transmission fluid and both filters. And swap on a pan with a drain plug.
*Oil's been done. (Mobil 1, 5w20. 5 quarts came out. It took 7 to get to full, as expected with the new Mobil 1 filter. 204a?)
*Transfer case fluid.
*Coolant flush and replace with Zerex G-05 and distilled water, 50/50 mix.
*Engine Air filter
*Cabin air filter...if it has one. (Seriously...I've read some of these trucks do NOT have a cabin filter. C'mon...)
*Swap out the broken cabin fan control module. (It only works on high speed. Simple fix.)
*It stopped cooling after 3 days of use. Pull a vacuum on the AC system. If it holds, refill with the appropriate amount of r134a. If it doesn't? Well, then it gets fun, doesn't it?
* Spark plug swap. I've got 16 Champion coppers enroute. I hope the originals come out easily after 145,000 miles and 12 years. Sigh. (I'll pre-soak them all with penetrant and let them sit while I work under the body.)

I'll get the truck late on a Tuesday (10 pm), and I'll have it until early on a Thursday (0500) to be done. Plenty of time, but the 24 hour cure time is a pita. 33 hours in my driveway...I may use the permatex spray seals. They set up much more quickly.

I may even toss on a new fuel filter if it's easy to get to.

Oh...and the parking brake is totally inop, so this will give me a chance to look at the cables and see what's going on down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Your setup may be just a bit different than this, but it is the only one that could find with a transfer case

You don't need to siphon anything out, he was doing it hoping to save time & hopefully be less messy

He also did not mention that the flat filter has 2 options, the 4x4 filter is deeper then the 2x4 filter

Some transmission pans do have a drain plug, A1 Auto Parts carries one & they are one of this sites vendors
I believe that these transmission pans are the same fitment, 45 RE, 545 RFE, 65 RFE

Old 06-13-2019, 08:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Marley is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your on the right track.

Spark plugs are a tedious job on these Hemi's and tranny pan is a messy job. Lol

I much prefer a gasket vs a tube.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:3060
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

When you drain the rear differential that has LSD, don't forget the additive
Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Magnoom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3kram View Post
Folks,

My son just bought a used '07 1500, quad cab, with the 5.7. I pulled the equipment list, and it has the limited slip differential (9 1/4"). I've never crawled under it and am unfamiliar with Rams.

It has ~150k miles on it. I plan on doing all fluids and filters and have a simple question (or two).

1. Do both front and rear differentials have drain plugs?

2. Does the transmission pan have a drain plug?

(My son's phone broke yesterday and he's not mechanically inclined...yet. So, he wouldn't know what he's looking at and no phone means no camera/photo.)

I thought every differential, transfer case, or transmission pan would OF COURSE have a drain plug, but I've read that none of them do on the Ram. Or, on some Rams some of them don't. I'm just not sure...

I'm buying up all the fluids, gaskets, and filters to do everything. Any pointers would be appreciated. He'll bring it up (4 hour drive) in 2 weeks.

Yes, he'll be under there with me.

Thanks,

*Both differential fluids. (75w90 up front, 75w140 w/LSD in rear.) Good...there are also fluids available that come with the LSD additive already in it
*Replace rear pinion seal. Make sure you have correct tools for the job, like large enough holding wrench as well as torque wrench
*Transmission fluid and both filters. And swap on a pan with a drain plug. Make sure the seal for the large flat filter (suction filter) comes out before you try to shove the new one in
*Oil's been done. (Mobil 1, 5w20. 5 quarts came out. It took 7 to get to full, as expected with the new Mobil 1 filter. 204a?)
*Transfer case fluid.
*Coolant flush and replace with Zerex G-05 and distilled water, 50/50 mix.
*Engine Air filter
*Cabin air filter...if it has one. (Seriously...I've read some of these trucks do NOT have a cabin filter. C'mon...) Nope, and most vehicles today still don't come with one or it's optional...2009 was the first year Ram got a cabin filter...you can always add one: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...3k/cab-filters
*Swap out the broken cabin fan control module. (It only works on high speed. Simple fix.) Might not be the module, good chance it's the resistor
*It stopped cooling after 3 days of use. Pull a vacuum on the AC system. If it holds, refill with the appropriate amount of r134a. If it doesn't? Well, then it gets fun, doesn't it? Did you check to ensure the condensor fan was still running?
* Spark plug swap. I've got 16 Champion coppers enroute. I hope the originals come out easily after 145,000 miles and 12 years. Sigh. (I'll pre-soak them all with penetrant and let them sit while I work under the body.) I wouldn't do that, mainly because it may or may not get into the threads but once you get the plugs out any liquid left in the plug well will seep into the cylinder

I'll get the truck late on a Tuesday (10 pm), and I'll have it until early on a Thursday (0500) to be done. Plenty of time, but the 24 hour cure time is a pita. 33 hours in my driveway...I may use the permatex spray seals. They set up much more quickly. As long as it goes on thick enough to form a bead

I may even toss on a new fuel filter if it's easy to get to. LOL...fuel filter is INSIDE the tank, as are most EFI vehicles (with a few notable exceptions)

Oh...and the parking brake is totally inop, so this will give me a chance to look at the cables and see what's going on down there. Two most likely culprits are frozen cable in sheath up forward or shoes are gone inside the rotor...have had both happen to me

Ken

1. No
2. Also no

It's only in later years that transmissions even got any kind of plug on some makes, same with differentials. Only late model Mopar diff that I know of that came with one is the Dana 60 from an SRT truck. They had aluminum covers with built in plugs. You can of course get aftermarket ones that bolt right on and have plugs, same with trans pans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement