Bought a 2015 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Off Topic Section > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 09-28-2016, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:931
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Bought a 2015

Well as many of you know, I have been on the prowl for a vehicle that will accommodate a family for about a year or so now. I have also been itching to get the wife out of her Hyndai and into something American-something...Mopar.

We have 2 dogs and with kids (planned, we don't have any yet) and cargo on a road trip that meant we would need a 3 row vehicle. I had a minivan on deployment (bought it for $800 ) and it was super useful, but the wife would not have anything to do with them. I tried to get her to look at the new Pacifica-wouldn't even sit in it. My dad tried to help and told me to convince her to get a minivan because they get better MPGs and cost less than SUVs, but my mom would tell him to stop trying to influence me (she has had a van since 1991 and wants an SUV). TBH a van isn't really what I wanted either.

Incidentally, my wife and I have been back home in San Antonio for the past 2 weeks having our (church) wedding (the legal ceremony was 363 days prior)-also why I haven't been very active. We had a bunch of wedding stuff to finalize before the ceremony last Saturday so everything was pretty hectic last week, but we made time to spend a day with my parents since they had moved to Tucson and I hadn't seen them in a year and a half. Like I said, mom wants a new vehicle and dad knew I had been looking at Durangos and I do my research, so we started looking around at some of the local inventories to go look at them.

It so happened that there was a 2015 SXT with a hair over 15,000 miles on it for a good price at a dealer in Austin. Dad has a couple friends who have bought from them (South Point) and had good experiences, so we went to take a look at it. Dad surprised us by matching my down payment as our wedding present, and I financed at 2.24% for 48 months, which I think is pretty good for a used vehicle-though it sucks to have a car payment again. I didn't want to buy in NC because none of them will wheel and deal with you-for everyone who knows what they are doing in buying a car there are 5 who will pay whatever the dealer asks.

Its an SXT Plus, I haven't got the window sticker (yet) but here are some of the key points:

-Halogen projector fogs and headlights. Much better than the truck has and the bulbs can be replaced without removing the grille and headlight assemblies. Imagine that!

-It has the package that comes with the polished 5 spoke 20" alloys, chrome grille fill, chrome mirrors, and chrome accents.

-Pentastar V6

-845RFE

-3.45 diff (2wd)

-Uconnect 8.4 (no nav)

-Cabin air filter

-2nd row bench seat (7 seater)

-Super cool illuminated door pockets, front interior door handles, and front console cupholders

-It just so happens to be white, so it matches my white and chrome truck. Just like with the truck it was not the first color choice, but the truck was bought off the lot and when you buy used your choices are limited with given options and prices. Interior is black cloth which we wanted.

I consider it to be pretty much loaded-the stuff it doesn't have is the crap like headrest TVs, adaptive cruise, and blind spot detection. I do wish it had a backup cam. I'd have liked a Hemi but it didn't really make sense because Thunderhorse has one for towing and stuff, and it would cost us more in fuel (and speeding tickets). AWD would be cool but I don't need that either.

I think the taillights are super cool looking, and its super smooth. I was concerned that in getting a newer vehicle I would have to get her something that came with one of those stupid patch kits instead of an actual spare but it has an actual spare. Some stuff will take getting used to like the battery under the passenger seat. I have started drilling into her head that even though it is E85 compatible to avoid using it. It is nice that it uses the same 5W20 my truck does (gonna put in Royal Purple this weekend), and the top load cartridge oil filter will be super convenient to change. We rolled over 17,000 miles on the way home today so its about time I figure.

I ordered her a sunshade and Huskyliners for all 3 rows (Xact fits for the front 2, weatherbeaters for the 3rd row and cargo liner since they don't make xact fits for those). Good thing those are a one time purchase

Now it is covered in South Texas Butterflies, as is Thunderhorse, so this weekend will be spent washing, claying, sealing, and waxing it. Here's a pic of it from my truck when we were going through the Smoky Mountains:

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

I think the V6 is a well matched powertrain to this vehicle. Even going through the mountains it had plenty of power to pull 6% grades at 85MPH loaded with cargo; all but the front seats were folded to accommodate it. Fun fact: all seats but the driver's will fold so you can fit a lot of stuff in this thing. The steering wheel buttons are more responsive than my truck's, you don't sometimes have to re-tap them. The fully independent suspension is super smooth. It will no kidding seat 2 adults in the rear; we drove to the rehearsal with 6 adults in the Durango. I'm not going to say that the middle seat in the second row is comfy for adults.

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: '14 RAM 1500 R.Cab 4X4 Shorty
Trim Level: TRADESMAN
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:550
Desert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to all

Congrats

Thanks for sharing the Adventure

Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC 6.4' 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Caucasian
Rep:102
guy65 will become famous soon enoughguy65 will become famous soon enough

that's one smooth vehicle- I wish my wife would go with it- well- she loves her charger...- the V6- yes- it is a great engine and it's sporty! I mean- I'm not allowed to drive it anyway- only car wash and paying for it....
so congratulations to both- marriage and new ride! I'm sure, your wife will love it.

but one stupid question- you drove from Texas to NC 17000 miles? did you drove over wladivostock through angola and up to NC?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram Bighorn
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:110
Graygoose will become famous soon enoughGraygoose will become famous soon enough

Congrats, I love the new Durango's...I'd leave mine for a R/T Durango for sure.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
that's one smooth vehicle- I wish my wife would go with it- well- she loves her charger...- the V6- yes- it is a great engine and it's sporty! I mean- I'm not allowed to drive it anyway- only car wash and paying for it....
so congratulations to both- marriage and new ride! I'm sure, your wife will love it.

but one stupid question- you drove from Texas to NC 17000 miles? did you drove over wladivostock through angola and up to NC?
Thanks! My wife loves the Chargers too, we test drove one and she was begging me to let her take it home with us (I had half a mind to do it too), but ultimately it didn't fit our needs. Interestingly, she ended up liking the Durango a lot more than the Grand Cherokee she initially thought she wanted, which was funny considering how much she said she wanted a GC (and not a Durango) initially. I think it was an image thing because a couple of her friends have Jeeps, but she just felt ho-hum about the GC and actually didn't even want to test drive a Charger, but fell in love with it when I convinced her to. Once she test drove a Durango we knew it was the right vehicle, we just had to find one for a good price with the features we wanted. You probably already know that the 3rd gen Durango (WD) is on the same platform as the current Grand Cherokee (WK2) but with a 9" longer wheelbase.

Yeah I know what you mean about the paying for and washing it, I woke up this morning and changed the oil and air filter (Royal Purple 5W20 just like the Ram gets -convenient), washed it twice, clayed it, applied paint sealant, and after its cured tomorrow I'll wax it. Just gotta Rain-X it and detail the interior now; but she didn't help . Whatever, I'm happy to do it and have a pair of matching (white and chrome) current gen Mopars in the driveway. I'll take some pics once I wash and wax the truck and post them up here. Just need to sell the Hyundai now and then it will be Mopars or no cars in the driveway.

Its so nice to be able to detail inside the garage. Now I can do it naked, or when its raining outside.

To answer your question, that was my bad. I meant 17k (its sitting in the garage with 17,141 on it right now) on the odometer, not on the trip. There is a town called Angola around here, but we didn't go through it lol. We drove up 35 to 30 and across Tennessee-much prettier drive than going through Atlanta, Montgomery, and New Orleans (the route we took to Texas) but about 3 hours longer.

Thunderhorse:
Colt:

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 09-29-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:19 AM

bet it looks nice, when you're done.
My wife had the 2006 charger and well- after her complaining, the mirrors are too big and she can't see when she turns (which she proved by turning into somebody else's vehicle in a 4-way stop) I said: enough. well- we went to CarMax checking all kind of cars out- if I had let my wife do, what she wanted to do, I would had ended up with a $70000 Infinity FX50 or how they're called. We looked at a Honda Crosstour- which I'm every time happy, that I didn't buy it, when I see it on the road. but she couldn't see out of the back. she loved the challenger and the Camaro- but same- them dern things are one big dead spot. can't see anything out of it. we left and accidentally passed the dodge place- and she: stoooop- I've seen something- I turned in and yeah- I couldn't stop the truck fast enough for her to jump out and start hugging this white charger. We ended up buying a new one - got a absolutely great price. and yeah- if you ever listened to my wife, after you had to move the seat or the mirrors- you would not want to drive her car anymore.... you got to listen to it for days and blames everything on you- radiostation wrong, AC not how it (supposed to be) was, mirrors wack, seat completely wrong (you might just moved one noctch back), and everything else there is! So I don't even drive it out of the garage- I let her do it, before I wash it.

Hey- if you went down to Atlanta- and down I85- you passed Greenville.
I agree- I love the blue ridge mountains and the smoky mountains. That's our fall- indian summer- sunday tour - up to Asheville, on blue ridge parkway, down to Cherokee and back through Maggie valley.

And I absolutely don't like Atlanta. I'm not so much the big city guy. I worked there 20 miles away for 6 months and I was not once downtown. The only time I really was there, was at the Ramstein Concert.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

We went on some backroads and got on 95 in lumberton and took that to 20 in Florence on the way down.

I coudlnt imagine paying 70k for a gussied up Nissan, or any money at all for one of those retarded Honda crosstours

Thunderhorse:
Colt:

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 09-30-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:24 PM

That's my opinion- Infinity is an overpriced Nissan, Acura an overpriced Honda and Lexus an overpriced Toyooooda. Nope. not worth it. and ugly too- The crosstour looks like a half of a bun with wheels on the road. but- I have to admit- the front looks pretty cool. but that's about it.
Where I bought my RAM, the dealer had the new 2016 Durango in Black out edition SR/T 8 and the wheels like the hellcat in dark grey on it- that's where I could get weak- thankfully it was way above my budget. Could had bought 2 RAM's for that.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
That's my opinion- Infinity is an overpriced Nissan, Acura an overpriced Honda and Lexus an overpriced Toyooooda. Nope. not worth it. and ugly too- The crosstour looks like a half of a bun with wheels on the road. but- I have to admit- the front looks pretty cool. but that's about it.
Where I bought my RAM, the dealer had the new 2016 Durango in Black out edition SR/T 8 and the wheels like the hellcat in dark grey on it- that's where I could get weak- thankfully it was way above my budget. Could had bought 2 RAM's for that.
The newer Durango R/T is a bad b****, especially with AWD. There is a red one (the bright red, not the darker metallic one) parked outside one of the buildings around here sometines....and it has a Corsa exhaust

But now we are talking about want vs need. Maybe in several years when my wife asks for a new vehicle I will just get the RT grille, lights, wheels, and fascia for ours

Thunderhorse:
Colt:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement