DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

First let me say Im new and just signed up.

Heres what I have
2000 Ram 2500 5.9 gas 4x4 Auto

My issue

The truck was running fine and suddenly shut down while driving earlier in the week. I had it towed home and checked a few things. There was no fuel pressure so i replaced the pump which was under warranty. Still no start. I checked for spark and there was none at coil or plug. Heres what Ive checked so far:

No power to coil or injectors
Fuel IS getting to rail
#6 fuse in PDC under hood has power
Fuel pump relay has power at 30
ASD is getting power

Thats where I am, no spark at all. No power to coil or injectors. Only trouble code I have is a misfire on cylinder 5.

I did download a service manual

And help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to go from here. Thanks!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Spark

Since you have fuel pressure, we know the PCM is turning the Fuel Pump relay on. You say the ASD relay has power, which pin(s)? The ASD relay has to be turned on by the PCM to provide power to the ignition coil and fuel injectors. Swap the 2 relays and see if you get spark.
Do you have a test light and multimeter?

·
Registered
869 Posts
You say your getting power, which makes sense since your fuel pump is charging.
The PCM provides the ground signal to injectors and coil so are you referencing your meter to the green w/orange wire on injectors or are you referencing to ground? (Block, chassis etc?)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi all

First let me say Im new and just signed up.

Heres what I have
2000 Ram 2500 5.9 gas 4x4 Auto

My issue

The truck was running fine and suddenly shut down while driving earlier in the week. I had it towed home and checked a few things. There was no fuel pressure so i replaced the pump which was under warranty. Still no start. I checked for spark and there was none at coil or plug. Heres what Ive checked so far:
:thk:
No power to coil or injectors If the PCM does not see input from the sensors that the engine is turning, it will only turn the ASD Relay on for ~3 seconds when you turn the switch on. Power to the coil and injectors comes from the ASD Relay. Check for spark when the switch is turned on.

Fuel IS getting to rail Is there good sustained fuel pressure? The same rule applies to the Fuel Pump Relay.

#6 fuse in PDC under hood has power

Fuel pump relay has power at 30
ASD is getting power
Both relays pin 30 should be hot. This connects with 87 when turned on.

That's where I am, no spark at all. No power to coil or injectors. Only trouble code I have is a misfire on cylinder 5.

I did download a service manual

And help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to go from here. Thanks!
:smileup:

·
Registered
376 Posts
The primary inputs that the PCM needs to start the engine are Crankcase Position Sensor (ckp) and Camshaft Position Sensor (cmp) (aka Ignition Pickup).
You might want to reseat the connectors for these sensors (if you have long arms). The ckp is on top of the bell housing at the back of the block, and its connector should be behind the distributor.
The cmp is inside the distributor, and its connector is hanging out the side of the distributor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts