DODGE RAM FORUM banner

02' 1500 5.9 complete lack of power

938 2
Here it goes,
Im at my wits end and down way too much money. The truck runs just fine as a normal driver could tell, but give it more than normal and quickly notice its lacking a lot of power all the way through the RPMS. wont even try to spin the tires if i try to power brake it just to put it in perspective.
I have a 02' 1500 with the 5.9 History, bought 4 years ago @ 99,000 miles, currently @162,000 miles. Had this power problem 2 months after i got it and has never been resolved. Never throwing a coded and still hasnt.
List of repairs: crank sensor 2x's, map sensor 3x's, plug wires 4x's, cap and rotor 2x's, tps sensor, too many sets of spark plugs, coolant temp sensor, both oxygen sensors 2x's, transmission shift sensor and solenoid, trans filter, and many parts not linked to this issue, like starter, alternator, belt, pulleys, waterpump, and last but not the very least the entire motor ended up rebuilt after it was stolen and returned with blown motor, which ended up with 1 rod, 2 pistons, cam, crank, heads, and all the other internals that get replaced with a rebuild all were replaced.

Symptoms that i notice, fuel mileage is averaging 10mpg, is sluggish through all rpms, fuel mileage on highway is average 12mpg, can bring up to 19mpg when behind any vehicle, when towing im lucky to get to 65 mph. if you never get into the pedal you would never know it has no power.

after all those parts and even the engine rebuilt along with multiple trips to the shop with no issues found other than its slugguish but no answers on why.

Im down to having the ECM replaced. Yes ive thrown many parts at this now a lot due to no answers from the shop on a diagnosis. Does anyone have any ideas? Or have ever encountered such a wild problem.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you come out on your low power problem. I am having the same or similar problem runs good but no power especially at highway speeds. I'm sure my problem is the caralytic converter. I took a boroscope and stuck in the oxygen sensor port and looked at the inlet side of my catalytic its about 75 % plugged. And with no codes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My last Ram was a 2001 with the 5.9. I was was having a seriuous power issue around 50k. Actually thought the transmission was going out. Ended up being a fuel filter issue. Transmission shop said to change it out, changed it out was good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.