DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a friend of mine borrow my truck for a day and it overheated on him while driving around town. He said he pulled over right away and shut it off but i dont know that for sure. The coolant was low, filled it and still was running hot. I then flushed the system and put block seal in the radiator. stopped overheating but the truck has no power. I checked the spark plugs and the passengerside coils and be unplugged and the engine runs the same like its only running on the driverside cylinders. Then i did a compression test and everything cylinder had good compression. Does anyone know or have had the same problem. The truck runs and will drive but has a rough idle and shakes. Could the injectors be bad?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I would disconnect the battery for a bit and reconnect. See what happens.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You said that it has good compression. The 4.7 is VERY sensitive for overheating. Often leads to headgasket problems...
Ive read many threads on here about this, the different metals in the heads and the engine mean they expand at a different rate, causing damage to the head gasket when it over heats....I would look at this as well if it was me. Fairly simple thing to change out and relatively inexpensive part.

·
Registered
307 Posts
What did the cylinders test at? im fairly certian the headgasket when if you lost power after overheating. Do you have spark on those cylinders or injector pulse?

By the way flush that block seal out of your motor asap. its crap its will clog up your motor. Find the real reason why the motor lost coolant and fix it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm with TJ on the block seal crap. It may plug the leak, but also plug the regular water passages. There are a couple that aren't that big to begin with.

You say it's running rough, are you getting any codes? Did the Check Engine light come on? Those codes will tell you what is, and is not working.

On my old 4.7 after an overheat, the head gaskets were shot. But you might be lucky. Might as well pull all the plugs, and try regapping and checking them. Check for cracks, as after an overheat a plug can be cracked as well. If it is cracked, it might still spark, but not really ignite the fuel. This would confuse the computer into thinking it's still firing, even if it isn't.

I'd just go ahead and replace them any way. They're cheap enough that there really isn't a reason not to. If you have to replace the head gaskets, you'll want new plugs anyway. Might as well try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts