DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so gonna admit now I'm not to familiar with dodges and their interchanges ..... but I'm a mechanic that does alot of custom work.....

I got a 01 Durango 4x4 slot with the 5.9l magnum motor in it .....however connecting rod bearing shattered from number 7 & 8 ....wollowed crankshaft a bit .... everything else is perfectly fine other than that....

I also just got a 02 dodge ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 sport with the 5.9l magnum in it for $800 ...however it slips extremely bad .....the only way to get it to move is in 4x4 low and roughly 3000 rpms.....

My thought is swap tranny & transfer case from Durango into the ram and Walla great running truck no issues and scrap the rest of this bs mess.....is it possible and what all would I need to bring over from Durango to do so ....

Extremely tight on funds and in the process of moving from state..... and need to move asap...like a month ago... I know dodge likes to use the sport to change things and 02 is one of those changing yrs .....so I dont know if this will even be possible....my brother is the dodge guy I was always a chevy guy ....he doesn't have time to help me figure this out ... I wanted to take my tahoe 5.7l motor and through it with the Durango tranny ....but ya to much work but would be fun as hell.
Any help is desperately needed and ty in advanced

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a 2001 Durango 4X4 with the 5.9 Hemi (since replaced with the 5.7) and it ate it's auto tranny in just a little over 50K miles. Talking to other owners they also had premature tranny issues - started out like mine hunting for gears at odd times. Then the dealer told me they were seeing a lot of the Durangos with tranny problems - seems the issue (they felt anyway) was that the tranny in that combo was designed for a six cylinder engine, and the larger V-8 was just too much power and the tranny was the weak point. So my advice - don't bother with all that work unless you think you can make it to where you're going and then sell the thing before it becomes a liability...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So an update ...

I swapped em out everything matched up pretty well had one slight issue but very easy to fix which was the transfercase mount i had to use the old one which was literally gone so just bought a new one and all is good ....
However i am having one slight issue and ive narrowed it down to one of 2 issues 1. Im low on tranny fluid 2. Computer controlled gearing from durango is different the the ram ...
Basically only when turning left it slips out of gear but as soon as it straightens up its great again and it doesnt like to down shift all the way when flooring it it only goes to second not first at low speeds but if i manually shift to first then back to drive its all good.

Side note anyone know where to get a set of towing mirrors for it? Free preffered or as cheap as possible?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts