DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all this is my first post on here. So here is my problem... I replaced the starter in my truck because when i went to start it, it just went "click". Put the new starter in and it still just goes "click". Checked all fuses and battery is good, i was thinking it was the ignition, but would it even go click if the ignition was bad?? It did start once with the new starter, when it did i couldnt keep it running because the RPM's kept bouncing between 500 and 1100 (which is a whole new problem) and fineally it died, now it wont start back up again. Im out of options, I dont like bringing anything to a mechanic, but im about to.
thanks for any help
Brian

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I would check all ur wireing. If all is tight take both the battery and starter to ur local auto parts store and have them re-tested, sometime u can buy new defective parts. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you have your battery tested before you bought a starter?
No i didnt... guess i should have done that first, brain fart on my part. I just jumped to the conclusion that it was the starter. After reading some other forums i think that there is a strong possibility that i have a dead cell in the battery. It has enough juice to turn everything on, just not crank it over. Atleast thats what i hope it is. The whole idol issue seems like a common problem with this year, make, and model. It has done it before, but after driving it for a while and turning it off then restarting it goes away, and it always does it when i disconnect my battery to work under the hood, when i go to restart, it does the weird idol thing again.
thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not sure about the newer dodges but if the battery and starter checks out fine look into seeing if the newer dodges still use a starter relay system older dodges had issues with the relay points burning and not making good enough connection to turn the vehicle over and required a new relay, Dodge was also notorious of putting to small of wire that run down to the starter. This caused the dreaded click instead of start issue. If that happens to be the case there is steps on the internet how to get past the click start issue. One last thing you might check is your connections on the starter I had a corroded connector one my 93 and it wouldn't start with a little bit of cleaning it fixed the problem. Once again this was problems with older dodges and not sure if it applies to the newer ones but its something to look at.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Make sure your big wire to the starter is CLEAN. I had an issue every now and then, but seemed to be worse when it was cold. I would get either nothing or a click and would have to keep turning the key over and over until it spun. Luckily this didn't happen very often. I disconnected the wire, cleaned both contact points with a wire brush then put it back together. The starter actually sounds like it's spinning faster (now that its actually getting all the juice its supposed to) and it's my original 118,000 mile starter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
won't start

i had the same trouble, would get a click sometimes. replaced starter . battery.small wire that goes to the starter,relay . it ending up being the ignition switch.!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
starter issue

Now I have no crank, before it was slow or nothing. I replaced the ignition switch on the column and also replaced the starter relay. took off the starter and had it tested and all is good there. I can put a jumper on the starter and it will crank and start, what do I check next ? Battery is good, tested good. any ideas ? Maybe the neutral safety switch ?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Did you try starting it in neutral rather than park? I would pop out the fuse panel(box) to see if there is a bunch of green corrosion, this was prevalent in 2002. only 3 screaw and a couple plugs, look to make sure the pins are not corroded

·
Registered
3 Posts
starter problem

Yes tried that, no help, dopes anybody know what the small wire does that goesto the solenoid ? does it groud out when you trun the key to start or does it send voltage to excite the solenoid ? trying to figure out howw to test it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts