DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TLDR: 03 Ram 1500 w/ ABS Light and Brake Light Intermittent along with loss of power and stalling.
-
Hoping someone can help me out or has seen this before.

The truck is an 03 Ram 1500, 5.7L Quad Cab, 4WD with about 145K Miles. I last drove it Saturday and there were no noticeable problems or any issues I can recall.

On Monday I took it out to work and before leaving the neighborhood the ABS and Brake lights both came on at the same time for a few seconds then went out. The whole way to work about 25 miles they would pop on for a few seconds then go back out. I figured I had an ABS sensor on its way out.

It had rained heavily the night before so I decided to take it out at lunch to see if things had possibly dried out and improved. I had the same issue with the lights this time, but in addition to that, when the light would pop up there was a sudden loss of power that would go away as soon as the lights went out. This happened twice, the loss of power is not happening everytime the lights come on, but when it does happen, they do seem related. On one occasion, I was going slow enough the truck stalled. It started right back up. The second time I was moving fast enough that the RPMs dropped and you felt the power loss, but when the lights went off everything went back to normal. The Speedo seems to be working fine other than around 10 MPH where it will bounce around a bit as I am accelerating or stopping.

So I have searched and found some people with some of these problems, the ABS/Brake light seems to be common and related to the ABS or Trans speed sensors, but none of these people seem to have the stalling problem and most of them seem to have an issue with the Speedo not working.

I have also read about an issue with the rear diff and some clip breaking causing poor readings from the rear speed sensor but again, no stalling mentioned or loss of power. I also don't have any noise or issues coming from the rear diff.

I am kind of at a loss here with what it could be.

Current plan of attack is:

Check the battery, probably have the alternator tested, check the grounds, check the brake fluid level and visual inspect the F/R ABS sensors and Trans speed sensors and as much of the wiring I can see.

Is there anything else I should be looking for or testing? The only CEL I have is for an EVAP system problem that has been there for months. I don’t think they are related.

I may have time to get a video of what is going on tonight, in the meantime any suggestions would help and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
May be unrelated but my 04 Hemi started stalling after about 7-10 miles. It was the cam sensor (and/or crank sensor). It was not easy to track down the problem to which the local Dodge dealer said I needed a new computer module which other mechanics doubted

Like I said, maybe unrelated but you are in the mileage where the cam/crank sensors go bad and they alone are not expensive if in fact diagnosed correctly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts