DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ram owners, i have owned my 2003 ram QC 5.7 Hemi for almost a year now and i think its time to buy a programmer. Ive heard very good reviews about the diablosport predator and the superchip (not sure what model):4-dontknow:. I have also heard that the 03 is the hardest to program, so i am not sure if it is worth spending 300$ for one or not?? The lowest ive ive priced the diablo for is 270$ and the SC is 330$. I read that the predator has been discontinued and has been replaced with the intune(which costs 400$). So im wondering if i should hurry up order a predator while i can still find one?? If a programmer is not the way to go on the 03's what mod should i do? Im looking for better mpg and possibly a few extra ponys. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks:smileup:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Superchips all the way with an '03 Hemi. It's the only one that can raise the RPM redline and 105 mph speed limiter. Neither have any transmission related features.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
x's 2 on going with superchips for your truck. You would also be better off buying a used one and saving $150 or so. Just make sure it has been reset to stock.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Agreed, I see the 3815 going for as low as $100 on other forums.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have to disagree with frostking. I have the Diablo Predator Sport, I bought on craigslist for 200 and couldn't be happier. Mine is a 04, production date is 03. I was able to raise the redline limits and the speedlimiter in my truck was originally 90 mph! it's now 190 (even though I haven't seen that yet). There is no transmission changes though.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I have to disagree with frostking. I have the Diablo Predator Sport, I bought on craigslist for 200 and couldn't be happier. Mine is a 04, production date is 03. I was able to raise the redline limits and the speedlimiter in my truck was originally 90 mph! it's now 190 (even though I haven't seen that yet). There is no transmission changes though.
You can disagree all you want, but you're still wrong. This is why: yours is a 2004, doesn't matter if you have a build date in 03, you don't have the same computer setup. Diablo has admitted that none of those features will work on an 03. I can also tell you from trying it myself that it doesn't work. DSP WILL NOT raise the rev limiter on an 03. It also WILL NOT raise the speed limiter on an 03 because of the seperate ECM and TCM. It will do these things on yours because you have a combined PCM. You can load custom tunes from a DSP on an 03, but you are stuck with the stock shift schedule, rev and speed limiters. If you don't mind shifting at 5700 regardless, only being able to do 105, frying your ECM and/or ABS modules, then the DSP might be for some people (do a search, it's happened). Only reason I still have mine (I picked it up for a song) is I will need it when I convert my 03 setup to an 05.

Go to this link:
http://diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=150

It shows what is enabled for what years. You will notice MY2003 is very missing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im pretty sure I will be going with the SC 3815, I have found several for under 100$ and from what yall have said and from other info I have read it is the best bang for the buck. Probably going to install a shift kit for firmer shifts since no programmers have the ability change the shift points.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Im pretty sure I will be going with the SC 3815, I have found several for under 100$ and from what yall have said and from other info I have read it is the best bang for the buck. Probably going to install a shift kit for firmer shifts since no programmers have the ability change the shift points.
Shift kit will give you quicker shifts but not firmer shifts. At least that is what goes for the trans go kit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have already done the TMR Delete mod, very pleased with that. I am just looking to prolong the life of the transmission, plus I like the firm shift feel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have already done the TMR Delete mod, very pleased with that. I am mainly looking to prolong the life of the tranny with the shift kit, plus I like the feel of the firmer shifts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I plan on ordering a sonnax, superchips 3815, wheel spacers, and fender flares this week. We'll see how it all goes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The more Ive been reading I was wondering if the 3815 will give you any MPG gains or if all it does is raise the rev limiter and mph limiter.???

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's kinda what I figured... If it doesn't help with mpg at all i could spend money on another mod. Plus raising the mph limiter=trouble because I would for sure have to test it out, multiple times lol

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
That's kinda what I figured... If it doesn't help with mpg at all i could spend money on another mod. Plus raising the mph limiter=trouble because I would for sure have to test it out, multiple times lol
Probably won't want to do that with non speed rated tires. That could turn into a bad day quickly. Most people notice a slight MPG increase on the 91 octane setting IF they can keep their foot out of it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, I use 87 octane and thats too expensive for me as it is. haha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts