DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newbie here.
I've been a long time reader of this forum but this is my first post. My 03 Ram 1500 SLT 4X4 with 5.7 Hemi and 5-spd auto slips a little when it is cold. It is more like a chug. It seems as if it does a slip-grab-slip-grab routine while backing out of the drive. I notive it more at temps below 45. It seems as if it is slipping from the rear end like the in the differential. However, I've never heard of anything like that. It has a 3.92 anti-spin differential. No codes using the key dance method. The trans fluid level is good. I've never had any major work done on it, just standard maintenance like fluid change. It has worked great for 200K miles.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I should focus on? I don't want to blow a lot og money on this as it has many miles. Thanks for reading!
Jim

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds to me like the fluid is just cold. All vehicles I have ever driven have done this.

Mine also shifts a little different while tranny is heating up. Has ever since I have owned mine.
If it is really worrying you you might try some kind of additives...

But I am no mechanic. Just some insight.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
When was the last time you serviced the trans & diff?

Since you have an anti-slip differential, have you put in the additive to keep the anti-slip clutches from chattering?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts