DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me tell you what it's doing. Then I'll tell you what I've already tried. After that, maybe a few of you can shed some light on the issue. When I am going down the road/interstate, there's absolutely no issue. It steers straight as an arrow. There's no vibration or groaning around your typical curve, and even rarely turning 90-degrees onto a side street. However, if I'm pulling into or out of a parking spot... or easing around in a parking lot, it vibrates and groans anytime I turn the wheel in either direction more than about 20-degrees from dead center.

What have I done to attempt a fix to this problem?
  • Replaced the power steering pump
  • Replaced the high pressure power steering pump hose
  • Replaced the rack and pinion... twice.
  • Had the upper/lower ball joints checked
  • Had the tie rod ends checked
  • Had the spindles checked
  • Had the suspension checked

The only thing I can assume it to be is some issue INSIDE the steering column itself. Why? No idea. The local mechanic can't seem to figure it out. I'd like to avoid randomly throwing money at it anymore. Have any of you encountered a similar issue? The groan/vibration isn't like the kind you typically hear from a dry pump reservoir or anything. It's more subtle. I'd just like to get it solved. It bugs me a LOT.

- Jason

·
Registered
106 Posts
2 wheel drive or 4?
Have you replaced the front hubs, ever? I've replaced both sides. In both cases, the truck made a growling sound when turning but it was mostly noticeable at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great...another dude with no sense of humor.
Are you really this serious all the time? It would suck to be you or be related to you if this were true.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in need of some genuine advice from someone who's experienced this issue and has resolved it. Not some shot in the dark commentary and a couple of non-related photos. If you can't help, move along.

·
Super Moderator
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,647 Posts
I'm in need of some genuine advice from someone who's experienced this issue and has resolved it. Not some shot in the dark commentary and a couple of non-related photos. If you can't help, move along.
Understood.
I"ve read a lot of posts over the years discussing all kinds of vibrations in all kinds of situations, and I've never read one describing the exact symptoms you're describing. Your issue is not easy to pinpoint. You've replaced a ton of stuff already and checked a bunch more.
However, if I'm pulling into or out of a parking spot... or easing around in a parking lot, it vibrates and groans anytime I turn the wheel in either direction more than about 20-degrees from dead center.
Can you say more about where this vibration is felt? In the steering wheel primarily, or elsewhere? Any sense of the location the "groaning" noise is coming from?

The truck has to be in motion, and relatively low speed motion at that, for this to be felt, is that right?
If you're simply parked with the engine running and you turn the steering wheel lock to lock, nothing unusual is felt?
What happens, for example, if you go to an empty parking lot and drive slowly, turn the steering wheel sufficiently to initiate the vibration, then drive around in a circle holding the steering wheel steady. Does the vibration continue, then vanish again when you straighten up the steering wheel, or is steering wheel motion necessary to sustain the symptoms?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The OP must think that it is someone else's responsibility to ask HIM more questions to help HIM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts