DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and have not posted in the Intro section yet because my introduction comes with an issue, and hopefully later a solution.

Background: I bought a 2004 Ram QC used with 105k on the clock. Seller told me that he had hard start issues when warm, but I elected to buy the truck anyway because it was what I wanted and I figured it couldn't be too hard to figure out. I was wrong. I have seen several threads on this and other forums with similar or this exact problem, but haven't found a solid cure yet. I intend to find the cure and post it here.

The problem: In the morning, truck starts no problem. If I turn it off, and restart within 10 minutes, starts no problem. If I turn it off and start 30 minutes to 3/4 hrs later, it cranks no problem but will not start. I have to press the pedal to make the truck start. When running, it idles great and pulls like a bull. No service engine light.

My guess: A leaky injector floods one of the cylinders when the truck sits a while. Holding the pedal down allows more air in and stops fuel flow to allow the truck to start. Starts fine in the morning because over night the gas in the flooded cylinder has time to leak past the rings into the crankcase. I have verified this theory by smelling the oil, and it smells like gas.

I don't have time to work on the truck myslef right now so I took it to the dealership. They insisted it was the fuel pump. Wouldn't diagnose any further unless I authorized the fuel pump replacement, so I did. $480 later I still have the issue. I am taking the truck back to them tomorrow. They have finally agreed to pull the fuel rail and inspect the injectors. Hopefully they can find a leaky one, because I'm almost certain thats the problem.

addt'l details: Truck has a new EGR valve and the throttle body has been cleaned. If an injector is not the issue, I will be leaning toward spark plugs. Compression test doesn't seem necessary based on engine performance.

Sorry for the long post. If anybody has any advice I'll gladly take it. Either way, I will see this through and post the progress/solution for anyone having a similar issue.

-Nick

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
What about the fuel filter? has it been replaced recently? also dont forget to stop by the newbie section and tell us a little more about ur truck and dont forget to post some pics!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mopar,

Thanks for the suggestion. The whole fuel pump assembly was replaced which includes the screen type fuel filter.

Fortunately the dealership called today. They say my #4 injector is leaking, which is what I've been trying to tell them. They will have it replaced tomorrow morning for $206. When I get the truck back, I will monitor starting and report back whether or not it fixes my issue. Also, I will stop by the newbie section and post pics. Fingers crossed!

-Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the new injector seems to have corrected the problem. Truck starts right up every time now.:smileup:

Hope this helps someone with similar issues in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts